Will's last match for Derby?

Sith Happens

I think he will stay, another season learning his trade at championship level. If he goes to liverpool he will probably end up loaned out to a championship level.

Stay with us, then premier league the following year with us!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he will stay, another season learning his trade at championship level. If he goes to liverpool he will probably end up loaned out to a championship level.

Stay with us, then premier league the following year with us!!

We're such a mess, confidence and self-belief  is shattered and so much rebuilding is required that i'll doubt we will be promoted next year.

I think he'll still be here. Like you say, PL teams want instant impact. The clubs Hughes would fit is a short list. He'd be no good at Ipswich Town!

The club's he fits are good ones with huge scouting networks etc. The "lesser" clubs he fits won't be interested in growing a player. They're all about either survival or keeping their noses clear of the lower mini league. 

Hughes is a very promising player. What makes him so special is that he is what he is but he's British. The biggest clubs can find similar players abroad at top clubs in lesser leagues. They don't need to spunk a fortune like Liverpool have done. Players like Hughes exist abroad at top clubs for less than what we'd want. They come with a gamble of not settling into English football I suppose.

Hughes might still be at the best place for him. What he needs is Derby to build a team around the likes of him and Thorne. 

Think there's still more aggression to come from him. His football is too nice sometimes. Until he is more consistently aggressive then I don't think the right team will come for him.

He could do with Liverpool being stupid just one more time or Arsenal coming in. Don't think they will.

​He says he wants to add goals to his game too. I think he'll only get serious interest from above when he manages to do that to be honest. He's got a lot of development left in him and it's all about where he's going to get football. I do hope he stays but he's had a good time here and he's won POTY now, so I wouldn't begrudge him the move if that's what he thought best. As long as it's done the right way and it doesn't get messy with official transfer requests and media chatter. But Will is not that type of guy anyway.

Think it says something about how good Hughes is when you read what is expected of him. 

How many 20 year olds are criticised for not dictating the midfield EVERY week? 

Is it even his role to control the game? For me he's in the team to pick clever passes and create space for he rest of our attackers (Huddersfield, Charlton etcetera). The only times we've ever seen him control a game this season is when the game's been scrappy (Forest, Ipswich etcetera) or if the opposition have parked the bus (Cardiff, Bournemouth etcetera).

He was controlling games in this division at 17 because that's what his role was. Picking the ball up from deep, getting us playing and picking incisive passes once the opposition were penned back. I think Clough even went as far as saying something along the lines of "give it Will and he'll know what to do with it". 

Archived