Alan Nixon summer 2015 rumours

Ambitious

​Just because he can play in multiple positions and gives 100% doesn't make him a good player. 

Jack of all trades, the master of none.

Shotton isn't good enough at RB for a playoff/top 2 team as he offers nothing going forward in a passing sense and he can't cross. 

Shotton at CB when he is on form he is decent but he doesn't have the consistency to have high performance levels through the whole season. 

Shotton is a great option for the bench in case a RB or CB gets injured but in my opinion he isn't good enough to start in either of those positions. 

​Shotton is a good utility player, that is why I said he was a good squad player, he isn't terrible in either positions so like you said, he is a great option for the bench.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotton isn't good enough at RB for a playoff/top 2 team as he offers nothing going forward in a passing sense and he can't cross. 

Our RB last season wasn't very good at those things either and most would have hime back :whistle:

We lost a lot of that forward motion last season. Forsyth and Christie getting caught out high up the pitch, poor crossing and and distribution at the back.

Much rather see full backs than wing backs.

Dare I say it but Keogh looked good at RB, a steady, no frills back four I'd like to see. Let the attacking players do so and we'll keep it sure at the back arrangement. 

PistoldPete2

We lost a lot of that forward motion last season. Forsyth and Christie getting caught out high up the pitch, poor crossing and and distribution at the back.

Much rather see full backs than wing backs.

Dare I say it but Keogh looked good at RB, a steady, no frills back four I'd like to see. Let the attacking players do so and we'll keep it sure at the back arrangement. 

I agree Keogh looked good at RB but without him at CB we had no options there either. Fozzy and albentosa were shocking in their distribution. If we strengthen Cb then maybe Keogh is an option at RB, but I think that would mean bringing in 2 new Cbs, not impossible given barker and whitbread have both left. 

Our LB and RB Were very very poor need two new players in

​In your opinion...

On the other hand statistically Fozzy was the best LB in the league... And even if you debate the legitimacy of those numbers (you're allowed) chances are fairly high that he's amongst the best LBs in the league... If an independent source says you're the best using stats then it's a fairly high chance you're decent...

My suggestion would be that getting a better LB than Fozzy would be a) difficult b) expensive and c) a waste of money when there are other areas we need to buy (like say up front where we know have about 4 senior attackers on the books, and players tend to be more expensive)

Fozzy was very rarely beaten 1v1, extremely effective. We've seen in a confident team he is a different animal.

Cast your mind back to the Brighton playoff last season, Fozzy had two stormers there. Won the penalty with a quality run and set up Hughes with a low cross to get us rolling 2nd leg. He just needs solid cool heads alongside him, he is one of those lads that can get sucked in to panic mode when other players head's start going. Fozzy stays for me, get a solid RB in and sort the CBs out and we'll be fine. Think Shotton was a waste of cash personally, no improvement.

The cost of replacing Fozzy I would estimate would be a minimum of 2m.

I really think one super human CB is all we need to play alongside Keogh and bring the confidence back to the FB. They are good enough, just out of form and out of sorts without a proper DM.

I would go all out for that 'German CB' and have Albentosa, Buxton as backups.

I know I'll get stick for this but Keogh doesn't deserve to be back-up to Alby or Buxton. Buxton is not the player he was last season, and even then we could do better. Get a strong, left sided leader to sort us out. Our defence is more than good enough ability wise, they just need their confidence and form back!

I know it adds balance to have a left footed left sided CB but it seems to have become and obsession of ours. Terry and Cahill both right footed doesn't seem to cause them any problems.

​They are both experienced international defenders not Championship defenders. Strangely, Joe Hart  doesn't seem to have some of the problems that Grant has. 

​They are both experienced international defenders not Championship defenders. Strangely, Joe Hart  doesn't seem to have some of the problems that Grant has. 

Although I agree there is a difference in quality levels of players involved, they are deemed to be professionals it just seems a bit of an easy excuse

@reluctantnicko so is mcclaren now angry with dcfc? Be interesting if ppl actually wanted him to go, especially after our season end

@MatthewHowson Next few days going to be interesting. Get the popcorn.

I'm not usually one to fall for ITK* rubbish, but with the talk in Spain re: Clement, it can't be ignored..

I'm worried this will scupper the club's current stability. Are we likely to get the same budget under a new, unproven manager? Quite possibly not. I think we have got a strong foundation but after releasing Ward and the loanees going back, we need to strengthen at the back and up top.

Having said that, does Clement speak any Spanish? Maybe he could build some bridges with Alby, and tempt over Mr Jota...

Archived