Alan Nixon summer 2015 rumours

Ambitious

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he was right about the loan, so maybe this is right too, 35 isn't that old really and is still 4 years away - Sheringham, Phillips, Giggs, Scholes, Delap, Crouch etc all played into their 30s.  

4-year deal is daft, imo. He's barely Premier League quality at the moment, by 35 he will be deadwood if we're in the promised land.

I'd have given him 2 years with a option for us to extend by a year.

​The chances are that their are a number of clubs willing to offer 2 years plus another, some in the prem.

By offering him a longer contract, its the clubs way of separating themselves from others, and puts us at front of queue for Bent.

Im stil torn over him, agree with both sides of argument that he is a finisher/poacher by nature, so will guarantee goals, not many players can do that. But he can also be on the periphary of things, and will impact our current style

​The chances are that their are a number of clubs willing to offer 2 years plus another, some in the prem.

By offering him a longer contract, its the clubs way of separating themselves from others, and puts us at front of queue for Bent.

Im stil torn over him, agree with both sides of argument that he is a finisher/poacher by nature, so will guarantee goals, not many players can do that. But he can also be on the periphary of things, and will impact our current style

​'our current style' which didnt get us promoted......

he was right about the loan, so maybe this is right too, 35 isn't that old really and is still 4 years away - Sheringham, Phillips, Giggs, Scholes, Delap, Crouch etc all played into their 30s.  

True and if you follow him on social media he seems pretty dedicated to the cause and is in good shape even training on days off rather than trying to become a celebrity. Shows he still loves the game and has ambition to achieve and prove a point. Coupled with his wealth of experience and quality it can only be a positive move for the club. Think back 3 years we d of scoffed at even the talk of landing a player of his calibre on loan

​maybe we need an impact on our current style

It's possible that other teams have sussed us out at times, but it's hard to judge when we missed experienced players in key positions (we all know the argument)

we need other ways of playing, but we also need a style of play and we need that drilling in. Last season it worked, for most of this it worked. It didn't when we lost confidence from a number if factors.

i like Bent, think he is a great signing. Don't know if he starts ahead of Martin though...

I don't buy this "we have been sussed out". Either the players are good enough to impose our "style" on the opposition or they are not. What I mean is if our style is cramped by pressing the movement and control in tight areas has to be better. Actually if pressed too hard and high and you are good enough to deal with it the opposition can get quite exposed too high up the pitch.

As I say if you are good enough use being pressed as a positive.

Nixon claims to have written a piece earlier today about Bent signing for us imminently. Good news.

​He's on his holidays at the moment by the look of his Instagram account, so there's no rush if he has signed but it probably won't be this week.

God I love being a transfer saga detective, can't wait to hit 1000 posts so I can make it my tagline :D

Looking through his recent tweets, he says we had a bid rejected for Dunk (~1m), has no knowledge of any interest in Shackell or Upson. But that we have two "difficult" targets in the sense that it will be hard to achieve a deal.

Also says Ward is talking to Brighton but will have other suitors.

Nixon claims to have written a piece earlier today about Bent signing for us imminently. Good news.

​Good news for one club who isn't Derby, given his recent track record.

​Lost me there...

​We've heard about 100 Nixon stories in the last year - about 2 of which have come to fruition. Of course, the more 'religious' supporters hang on his every word, but he's about as reliable as a Daily Express weather forecast.

​We've heard about 100 Nixon stories in the last year - about 2 of which have come to fruition. Of course, the more 'religious' supporters hang on his every word, but he's about as reliable as a Daily Express weather forecast.

​Aha! I thought you must mean Bent's track record as a goalscorer. I'm definitely in the Nixon has good info and gets more right than wrong camp, and he was the first journo to call Bent to Derby, suggesting he has decent info in this case.

He's basically said that the CB target is in his opinion too ambitious and he can't see how we'd pull it off, so it's not going in the paper until it moves along further.

He said a CAM/Winger target will be in the paper tomorrow, and that they are a good player. Also that the move for this player has moved along a bit

Archived