Q&A with SM and SR...

TroyDyer

If Buckley is still around, can we please please play him at left back tomorrow.

What are you going to buy with your vouchers then Angie?  Or was the winner Eddie's wife?

Sorry I did mean Buxton (although Buckley would indeed be good right now.) And alas, the winner was not me. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's was interesting how Steve mentioned the McClaren ,Rush,Evans triangle. 

Evans sometimes identifies players and talks to Steve about it and then Sam is asked if the money is available. 

Steve made a big issue of gates over 30,000 which is quite a remarkable attendance figure really since he's arrived .

Oh forgot to mention. The way Rush was talking is that the level of investment is sustainable regardless of promotion, because, as @curtains mentions, the extra 10k fans every week, and the massive increase in commercial income means that there is more money available naturally.

And they aren't daft - they know that the 30,000 gates come when you invest in the team and get a decent manager playing attractive football (and ultimately winning games)

Hopefully this means we won't be seeing a return to  NClough-era mid-table austerity, lower-league signings and general lack of ambition

I can understand why McClaren would be evasive with the media, after what happened at England and the way they hounded him out. But when you evade the media you evade the fans too, especially the local radio. Why was it "I haven't heard of any interest" one second and then "I flat out turned them down" the next? Why couldn't he just be honest and tell us that Newcastle were sniffing around but he doesn't want the job. Why try and play dumb?

I'm not even calling for McClaren to leave, or saying he's not done a good job. I just don't get why he's so ignorant to his own mistakes. It's all about him and his pride. Does he not see the black cloud he's dragging round with him when he only half answers the speculation? Okay it puts him in a better bargaining position to hold his cards close to his chest. It does wonders for his image when it's never his fault. It leaves his options open to not totally dismiss Newcastle in case something goes wrong here. But that is selfish. It has affected the team doing that and that is not what is best for the club. It's only what's best for McClaren.

I can't begin to fathom how our manager has gone from hero to zero by not having "I'm not going to Newcastle" tattooed on his forehead. Fair enough, he hasn't flat out denied it but many wouldn't and it's not like we know with any degree of certainty that he's off there.

I've been a season ticket holder since I was 6 years old. 2001/02 season. Between him and Sam Rush, no one has given me better memories at Derby. Honestly, late 2013 onwards with other things which have come together in my life have been an absolute blast and that man with his tuft has been responsible for so much of that. And just because some fans have decided he's left us for Newcastle based on - well actually, I don't know what it's based on at all - we're supposed to turn on him?

The past few weeks have been a nonsense with Derby fans but tonight, reading this thread and twitter, I have never been so disillusioned with Derby fans. I just don't know what we want anymore. We want some incredible manager who offers perfect football all the time and denies every job flat out to Owen Bradley no matter how big it is just to appease us 30,000 or so fans, because we're the most important people on the planet. What world are we living in? This man does not exist.

​Im with Keith!

I can understand why McClaren would be evasive with the media, after what happened at England and the way they hounded him out. But when you evade the media you evade the fans too, especially the local radio. Why was it "I haven't heard of any interest" one second and then "I flat out turned them down" the next? Why couldn't he just be honest and tell us that Newcastle were sniffing around but he doesn't want the job. Why try and play dumb?

I'm not even calling for McClaren to leave, or saying he's not done a good job. I just don't get why he's so ignorant to his own mistakes. It's all about him and his pride. Does he not see the black cloud he's dragging round with him when he only half answers the speculation? Okay it puts him in a better bargaining position to hold his cards close to his chest. It does wonders for his image when it's never his fault. It leaves his options open to not totally dismiss Newcastle in case something goes wrong here. But that is selfish. It has affected the team doing that and that is not what is best for the club. It's only what's best for McClaren.

Where do you keep seeing the quote that he turned them down?

I have looked, admittedly not that hard, to find any reference to this, and can't see anything.

​I don't need all day - it appears for quite a few of you precious buggers, 5 minutes is enough. Anyway, I come back here, through gritted teeth often, because a few excellent posters really do make it worthwhile.

Thank you Eddie, that is very kind of you. Regards to the wife too.

Here's a thought - given that Sam Rush is always very keen on generating additional revenue streams for the club, why is he not investigating the possibility of a libel law suit against papers like the Star who have printed headlines such as "McClaren will join Newcastle this summer on one condition" ?

In all seriousness, if our promotion campaign is derailed by this unsettling paper talk and none of it is true then we could be looking at a huge financial impact.

Rhetorical question of the week: How many times have papers been sued for printing untrue football transfer rumours?

Where did he say he flat out turned them down?  I was there last night, and I've summarised what was said. He was quite clear that he never spoke to anyone other than Sam rush about Newcastle 

Here's a thought - given that Sam Rush is always very keen on generating additional revenue streams for the club, why is he not investigating the possibility of a libel law suit against papers like the Star who have printed headlines such as "McClaren will join Newcastle this summer on one condition" ?

In all seriousness, if our promotion campaign is derailed by this unsettling paper talk and none of it is true then we could be looking at a huge financial impact.

Rhetorical question of the week: How many times have papers been sued for printing untrue football transfer rumours?

That would be a bad idea, we need the papers to print rumours so we can use it in our favour to unsettle players.

Where did he say he flat out turned them down?  I was there last night, and I've summarised what was said. He was quite clear that he never spoke to anyone other than Sam rush about Newcastle 

​Lol its doing my head in, its going round in circles, you keep explaining what McClaren said yet someone still comes out with "why did he not tell us about the job offer."

Someone decided to say this on twitter, that he turned down the job and lied to us and of course no one decides to ever look into stuff on twitter they just take things as gospel. All you need is one of those like Rams Fans accounts with like 1000 followers to say something and everyone goes mental. Really don't know why I read it as it doesn't help me or improve my life in any way shape or form.

none, because it's not libellous. some of the key benchmarks are:

a) you have to prove that the comments cause substantial damage to reputation which then has a knock-on effect to their standing/job/life etc

b) it has to be stated as fact (alleged or otherwise), rather than opinion

c) it has to be proved as having no basis in truth.

And one or two other benchmarks. 

For example, the McCanns got a wedge of cash out of the Express titles and the Sunday Times because what they printed was proven to have no basis in truth and was clearly highly damaging to their reputation and how they were perceived by the public, the police etc. 

Saying one manager is leaving for another club in the summer is just speculation, nothing even close to libel. It wouldn't pass the a) or c) and quite possibly b)

It might be the case that newspaper speculation unsettles things at the club, but that isn't the newspaper's fault so much as it would be the club's management for allowing it to for mismanaging the situation effectively. It might be unfair, it might be annoying, but it's not libellous. 

Thought I’d give a more full representation of MY recollections regarding last night’s Q& A.

The evening started with a god-awful churning noise coming from below the Pedigree suite, McClaren got out of his chair and looked behind the sponsors partition behind him, then popped his head back around and said “Any questions about Newcastle, and I’m behind here okay!”, the audience laughed and applauded, the noise stopped, Steve sat back down and then the evening started.

The first few questions were inevitably about rumours, firstly Steve to Newcastle, then Rush leaving, then “what happened to Bucko”. The question regarding Steve to Newcastle was evidently annoying to him. But he tried to answer whilst trying to avoid talking about it. He was keen to point out that he’s not been spoken to by Newcastle about leaving this summer. Steve spoke for about 3 or 4 minutes about this and some of the things he said was “there was reported interest in the winter, when Newcastle didn’t have a manager. I sat down and spoke honestly … more honest than I’ve ever been.. with Sam, and I admit, 5 or 6 years ago, if I had the chance, I’d have been off, I was different then, my ambitions and the premier league..BUT, this is a great club, I’m working with great people, I have a contract, I have a job, and until someone tells me otherwise, I’m here… LOOK, Newcastle have appointed a manager and football is a close-knit thing, we all work together. I wouldn’t talk about another job when someone is doing the job, I would be angry if someone talked about this job when I’m doing it, if even to distance themselves. “A” because it’s a cracking club and why would you not want to work here and “B” because I am still here and it’s disrespectful.”

Sam has answered before Steve, and had said that he’d moved his family to Derby, his lad has just signed for the academy, his kids go to school, it’s “MY club” and he would be here until the board didn’t want him.

The Buxton question was answered “he had a slipped disc, we need him back soon”.

There were lots of jokes, a story about Paul McGrath being rubbish in training and Jim Smith panicking that he’d bought a duffer was told after a question was asked about Barker playing. It seems the club are being more responsible than sentimental when it comes to Shaun Barker. Steve says he’s recommended Barker to two clubs, but didn’t say who, but that they all hope he can play at some level some time next season.

A question was asked about what Steve thinks is a good captain and whether he saw George Thorne as a potential Derby captain, he responded with some soundbytes about having a senior group of leaders, and said that leaders want to be number 1, then started talking about Igor Stimac basically coming in and claiming that “I’m number one” spot in the dressing room, and admitted that the current side miss that.

He was then asked how the players have handled the speculation about him leaving, he responded that players are selfish and 90% couldn’t care less if he left. He was saying half hate him because they aren’t in the squad, nearly half aren’t bothered and are just getting on with it, then a couple would be gutted cos they love the manager, but it’s not like school where you have a favourite teacher, but the players that would be upset, would probably be there with an apple for the next manager.

A young lad took about 5 minutes to ask, I think “if you get promoted, is that job done, will you leave, you can, if you get us promoted, but what are your plans if you get us promoted?”, but he made such a hash of asking the question, it became a bit farcical, essentially Steve reiterated that managers are superstitious, and he’s more superstitious than most, he doesn’t plan beyond the Millwall game, he was adamant that he isn’t even thinking about the playoffs etc

There was a question about loan signings, and if they’d be made permanent. McClaren digressed massively and started talking about the triangle of Rush, Evans and himself working over the next couple of seasons to improve things. The conclusion was that at this level, using loan players, to improve the standard of the squad is vital.

McClaren was asked to describe half time and full time at Huddersfield, he made a joke about an old lady throwing herself at him, and a comment about booing. Said he’d totally lost his temper in there and swore loads then stormed out, but told a story of kicking a boot off the floor, that swerved into the bathroom bit and nearly took Steve Haines head off, and how he went from angry to embarrassingly apologetic in a split second.

Someone asked him about Keogh being a leader, and his response was perhaps the most interesting on the night. He backed Keogh, but basically said they weren’t happy with the responses to conceding goals, and suggested that if we concede again this season, there should be a different reaction to heads down and silence.

Other things to come out, SM ran the ramathon in 52 mins. There will be a permanent memorial to Dave Mackay and hopefully it will coincide with the 40yr anniversary of the title win. If we get promoted, we consider ourselves a top 10 club in the Premier league and we will catch up very quickly. Albentosa is impatient and struggling to adjust. Evans has worked tirelessly to identify players of varying cost and ability level. Will Hughes doesn’t take advice very well (said tongue in cheek) and they keep telling him that Derby is the place for him and he’s lucky to be coached by McClaren lol!

The over-riding thing was that McClaren was mightily pissed off with having to keep bat off the Newcastle speculation, but until Newcastle make an approach, he won’t even think about it, let alone talk about it. Rush had a reassuring smile about it and cited the differences in speculation about Hughes to Liverpool and McClaren to Newcastle. The fans dismiss the Hughes talk but get in a flap about the McClaren talk. They all find it very amusing.

​That is by far the best post of the year so far for me. Brilliant & interesting read

Loved it!!.

​Ok. I owe it to my fans to be honest.

Several other clubs have asked me to write songs for them. Whilst i find this flattering i have no intention of writing songs or chants for any other club.

DCFC remains my one and only club. If the membership turns against me i will walk away from forum songwriting forever.

I will not write songs for any other club.

Not even Newcastle.

Inverurie is odds on to replace you.

And I was once told “You Can’t Sing,You Can’t Play, You Look Awful”………………….

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/carry-on-synthpop-you-cant-sing-you-cant-play-you-look-awful/

Anyone for a Kit Kat?  ….Shall we all just go and join The Electricity Club instead?

Archived