Q&A with SM and SR...

TroyDyer

It's interesting that he's finally admitted to turning the job down, it means very little but surprised he admitted it. 

I don't get why people are angry, though. He turned the gig at Newcastle down, yet people want him out because they dared to approach him? It seems odd.

Everyone, well pretty much everyone, at Derby likes McClaren but I doubt many would be beating themselves up if he left in the summer and we picked up £2m for our troubles.

As Brett Wilson tweeted something along the lines of earlier, or in subject too, McClaren isn't the only manager in the world. Derby doesn't start and stop with him. He hasn't been a flying success; he has plenty of positives and weaknesses. 

I don't doubt that McClaren could go and we could do better. I don't doubt that McClaren could go and we could do worse. 

Just enjoy the play-offs. If he takes us up and then pisses off then I'm sure we'll have our pick of managers. We would effectively be a blank canvas with deep pockets. Who knows, we may even be able to entice 'Arry north of Watford! 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​It sounds to me that McClaren has been as straight as a die from the word go, but loads on here are all too far up their own collective backsides and so full of their #ITK bullcrap to just accept things at face value.

And don't get me started on their bloody self-importance and false entitlement.

There. Now I've probably upset about 75% on here, but it wanted saying. Feck off everyone, and leave the bloody manager to do his job.

​Except he lied and lied over and over about the interest from Newcastle. I accepted it at face value, he told us he hadn't heard anything about any interest and he was contracted here, and I accepted it. Then he started slagging off fans in the media which makes sense cos we've had some dogshit support in the ground. But then more and more you notice he just never ever accepts any responsibility. "It's the fans disrupting the players", "it's injuries", "it's referees", "it's the players mistakes".

When is it your errors mate? When is it the mistakes you've made? When is it going to be that whenever you were asked a yes or no question, you avoided it entirely. Why leave that disruption? Why tell half a story so that fans are forced to fill in the gaps? Because when that happens, you're inevitably going to come to the conclusion that Jake Buxton dumped a cup of tea on McClaren's head, that's the nature of baseless speculation. He's experienced enough to know that's whats going to happen if you try to be too guarded and too reserved. People will think you're hiding something.

Oh wait, you were hiding something, Newcastle actually made an approach.... Anything else you want to come clean on? Perhaps you told them that you wanted to wait until the summer? Perhaps you were all set to go but there was a dispute on compensation? Perhaps you dumped a cup of tea on Mike Ashley's head?

See, now I'm speculating wildly, because you try to hold your cards to your chest everytime. You can't have the fans support if you're acting like you're holding on to a big secret. Just play it straight.

​Except he lied and lied over and over about the interest from Newcastle. I accepted it at face value, he told us he hadn't heard anything about any interest and he was contracted here, and I accepted it. Then he started slagging off fans in the media which makes sense cos we've had some dogshit support in the ground. But then more and more you notice he just never ever accepts any responsibility. "It's the fans disrupting the players", "it's injuries", "it's referees", "it's the players mistakes".

When is it your errors mate? When is it the mistakes you've made? When is it going to be that whenever you were asked a yes or no question, you avoided it entirely. Why leave that disruption? Why tell half a story so that fans are forced to fill in the gaps? Because when that happens, you're inevitably going to come to the conclusion that Jake Buxton dumped a cup of tea on McClaren's head, that's the nature of baseless speculation. He's experienced enough to know that's whats going to happen if you try to be too guarded and too reserved. People will think you're hiding something.

Oh wait, you were hiding something, Newcastle actually made an approach.... Anything else you want to come clean on? Perhaps you told them that you wanted to wait until the summer? Perhaps you were all set to go but there was a dispute on compensation? Perhaps you dumped a cup of tea on Mike Ashley's head?

See, now I'm speculating wildly, because you try to hold your cards to your chest everytime. You can't have the fans support if you're acting like you're holding on to a big secret. Just play it straight.

​And if he had come out and said 'Newcastle approached me, but I turned them down', the response would have been that he's unsettling the team for no reason. He couldn't win. Come on Tombo, stop being so sensitive. Enjoy the ride and see what happens. 

What a mixture of opinions on here. At least there are an enlighted few who realize Mac can't do any more than he has to try and quieten and speculation about other roles, and that he has continually demonstrated his commitment to the Rams.

I despair of the rest of you with your childish need for ever stronger denials, who may well eventually hound the manager out. And then we can go back to being a team that doesn't compete. Don't you realize that a sign of success is when our players and manager are continually being speculated about because they're doing a good job? There's only one thing worse than being talked about. It's a media game to continually ask for denials and expressionsof loyalty. It's their job to drum up a story when there isn't one.

Well done AM and SR for facing up to the fans at this busy time when a lot of the fans are behaving like 5 year olds. There could be no stronger demonstration of commitment to the cause.

​This is a big contender for worst post of the season.

He 'lied over and over' about what exactly?

'Then he started slagging fans off in the media' when and where was this? Please provide us all with a link.

'It's referees' this has to be the lowest point of you hate filled drivel. I think once this season I have heard him mention referees (after the Wolves match) and even then it was to say how he has taught his players to respect referees but was now finding it hard based on recent ridiculous decisions.

'It's injuries' do you actually watch DCFC? If so, do you disagree that injuries may have played some part in our bad run of form?

'Newcastle actually made an approach' did they? Once again fire away with your link please because I am sure there will be a lot of people, not least Sam Rush, who will want to see this.

'You can't have the fans support' please don't ever try and speak on my behalf. The management and players have my 100% support.

I do not expect the landlord at my local, nor the corner shop owner to discuss their employment with me so why should I expect the manager of my local football team to do it? We are potentially 5 games away from the Premier League and fans such as yourself are more bothered about whether another team wants our manager than getting behind the team. You talk about the disruption caused by McClaren, as far as I can see there is only one set of people adding to the this disruption and, I'll give you a clue, it is not the management team of DCFC.

​Then we are fooked. If Sam Rush, Steve McClaren, or anyone else running this club makes decisions based on forum opinions, they are not fit to be in the job.

​who said anything about them making decision based upon the forum?

Stop shitstirring and grow up mate.

Ashamed or not. 50 years supporting my team my opinion is he should just say yes I was offered the job. I turned it down because I love being at Derby and I will be here for at least the next 2 seasons.

then all this garbage will stop and we can concentrate on the last few games

​then he would be lying! He was NOT offered the job. It was media (and internet) speculation and nothing more. The only person he says he spoke to about it was Sam Rush, as Sam questioned him about his intentions.

​Except he lied and lied over and over about the interest from Newcastle. I accepted it at face value, he told us he hadn't heard anything about any interest and he was contracted here, and I accepted it.

​WHo told you Newcastle made an approach? He said there was "reported interest" and the only person he spoke to was Rush, cos Rush wanted to know McClaren's thoughts.

​Shan't!

​okay fair enough. But this is silly. The bloke is being ripped to shreds for saying things he's never said. The club seem to be "with the times" in terms of modern technology etc. Twitter was mentioned a lot of times as was Internet forums, they even asked those there to not post certain things on Twitter, as if implying it was a privilege to be there.

I just feel the bloke is being hounded out and cannot do right for doing wrong and is soon in a no-win situation and as I said before, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that he leaves.

Got one person who always has believed he's not going coming out and saying 'Yes says on BBC Mac isn't going get in'.

Then another person has posted saying Mac is leaving at the end of the season. Confusing the **** out of me IMO like B.W says he's not the only manager in the world. With the track record this board has at bringing world class people like Rush and Tom Glick in i'm sure they'll get someone else in who steps up to the plate.

'I do not expect the landlord at my local, nor the corner shop owner to discuss their employment with me so why should I expect the manager of my local football team to do it?'

but people don't stand around on street corners talking about the local landlord at the pub or the ownership of the corner shop do they. But they do talk all the time about football and the local team and the progress/success/failure and that's the difference...that's why we all post on here that's why 30.000 are at the ipro etc 

'I do not expect the landlord at my local, nor the corner shop owner to discuss their employment with me so why should I expect the manager of my local football team to do it?'

but people don't stand around on street corners talking about the local landlord at the pub or the ownership of the corner shop do they. But they do talk all the time about football and the local team and the progress/success/failure and that's the difference...that's why we all post on here that's why 30.000 are at the ipro etc 

​the manager is here, he will be here at least until the end of the season, committed and doing his job. That's all the fans need to know. Let him do his job and stop hounding him out.

They do on Coronation Street

Ah yes of course a quality drama, superbly written, wonderfully acted and firmly rooted in reality (never the same after Mrs Walker left!)

I can't begin to fathom how our manager has gone from hero to zero by not having "I'm not going to Newcastle" tattooed on his forehead. Fair enough, he hasn't flat out denied it but many wouldn't and it's not like we know with any degree of certainty that he's off there.

I've been a season ticket holder since I was 6 years old. 2001/02 season. Between him and Sam Rush, no one has given me better memories at Derby. Honestly, late 2013 onwards with other things which have come together in my life have been an absolute blast and that man with his tuft has been responsible for so much of that. And just because some fans have decided he's left us for Newcastle based on - well actually, I don't know what it's based on at all - we're supposed to turn on him?

The past few weeks have been a nonsense with Derby fans but tonight, reading this thread and twitter, I have never been so disillusioned with Derby fans. I just don't know what we want anymore. We want some incredible manager who offers perfect football all the time and denies every job flat out to Owen Bradley no matter how big it is just to appease us 30,000 or so fans, because we're the most important people on the planet. What world are we living in? This man does not exist.

"And just because some fans have decided he's left us for Newcastle based on - well actually, I don't know what it's based on at all"

I can help you with this bit of your fine post. The answer is the Mirror.

Yes. The Daily Mirror. 

I hope Nigel Clough gets Forest promoted. It'll be great to see Forest in the PL up against Pep's Chelsea. They might even get in the Champions League to face Hughes and his Barca teammates. Not Messi though. His head is in Manchester. 

Today 2 played have jetted into Manchester who will cost Man United £65. Chelsea are buying Bale and Verane for £100m. West Ham are signing Chicarito.

Archived