Derby County v Middlesbrough

-JW-

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I'm not so sure. The insistence on keeping on playing Keogh, Bryson, Christie and Mascarell when they have been utter ***** this season worries me. Personal relationships clouding his judgement?

They were solid.

We were punting 30ft high passes to our two smallest players.

Ince brought little and Christie even less.

I thought Albentosa is looking stronger with every game.

They just sat back and broke when they could. Which is what they're good at.

We're desperate for the Int break - some players need to rest, they all need to club together and start making it work again.

Just back. It was a decent game and there was nothing between the sides other than a brilliant finish. Can't fault the work rate of the players or their desire. Keogh had a brilliant game, other than that blip at the end which to be fair he made up for. Hanson I thought did well and looks a composed player. Fozzy controlled Adomah well. Ince anonymous and frankly his lack of a right foot is quite a handicap for him as he's become easy to pick up, Albentosa can defend but looks very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Felt for Christie, had done ok but visibly went to pieces after his mistake led to the goal. 

My only gripe is at the management team for continuing to play like Martin is on the pitch. Banging balls up to Russell and Bent before he got injured doesn't work and we conceded possession tonight constantly. We played well defensively and in the middle but offered very little up front because the Boro back four were huge compared to our front three so we just spent too much time playing long balls onto the defenders' heads. I can understand it more if we're away, on the back foot, defending hard and have no other realistic outlet, but at home and with plenty of the ball there's no excuse. They've had a lot of time to figure out something else but either haven't or won't and the team is struggling as a result. 

Fair play to Boro, it was an absolute classic away performance. Tight, organised, well drilled and took the opportunity when it came. They didn't look great, but were very hard to break down.

We weren't that bad. The game was end to end and could have gone either way. Went theres and not ours, nothing you can do but move on. Tough game but we gave everything. Wasn't hoofball, it wasn't bad, it was just a tough match that we didn't win because it wouldn't be a 'tough match' unless it was difficult to get anything. By definition....

Wolves on Friday is my main focus, forget Boro, we can still go up.

I'd echo those who praised our work rate, it was top notch.

Boro very clinical, tight and composed, but a team to admire rather than like, maybe would have been different if Ward could have tucked away that early chance.

I just don't understand where this percentage football we're playing has come from, surely without Martin we should be taking more care of the ball, not less, especially against a very good defence like Boro.

Very disappointed now, but come Friday I'll be bouncing like Tigger before KO, such is life when you're a Derby fan!

The players worked hard tonight but somehow it all seemed poor. The ball was up in the air with no-one seemingly able to get it down and control it. Massive sweeping passes as if we had 6ft 5 players up front to aim for. Poor defensive error handing over possession for the goal.

Confidence is low with key players out and who is left not being able to maintain form, quite naturally. The wheels have come off big time and Steve needs to motivate the players to keep their heads up and try to play the football of prior to this spell. I hope that playing 'ugly' doesn't mean the remaining games are going to be like this.

As a supporter what is hard to take is injuries taking longer to heal, with time lines shifting to the inevitable international break. All the talk of having lists of players to cover each position, but at this stage in the season no loans to bring in, and plain bad luck in 2 key positions being affected.

Of course if Steve wants to ask for my expertise I'll be glad to offer advice. Otherwise I'll keep hoping for good news on the injury front and returning players do make a difference. Onward to Wolves.

Was a pretty poor game. We looked like the team we were - a good side with key players missing in key positions. Hanson was okay, but he's no Eustace or Thorne - no slight on him, just we need at least one of them in a game like that. Having an actual striker up front is always a plus against another promotion rival, so we missed that too.

An individual error again provided the opportunity which killed us, but hey-ho. This run has been absolutely disgusting. Everything that could go against us, has. The only thing to say is that we've got the international break coming up and it's a chance to regroup, get some bodies in, and really make those last seven games count.

We've not had a proper slump all season because this group has been good at giving reactions to defeats. We've lost those big players like Eustace and Martin who are obviously part of that, and Grant and Keogh are off colour. We need a reaction now, a big one. But you know what? I have confidence in the players to do it. They've done it before; the fact we're even in the hunt at all is due to the player's reaction to what happened at Wembley before.

I half expect someone to jump on me for that, telling me to "wake up and smell the coffee" or reply with some over boring cliche. But I shouldn't have to defend my support for the team.

I'm preparing myself for the Wolves game to be the low point of the season, though

Was a pretty poor game. We looked like the team we were - a good side with key players missing in key positions. Hanson was okay, but he's no Eustace or Thorne - no slight on him, just we need at least one of them in a game like that. Having an actual striker up front is always a plus against another promotion rival, so we missed that too.

An individual error again provided the opportunity which killed us, but hey-ho. This run has been absolutely disgusting. Everything that could go against us, has. The only thing to say is that we've got the international break coming up and it's a chance to regroup, get some bodies in, and really make those last seven games count.

We've not had a proper slump all season because this group has been good at giving reactions to defeats. We've lost those big players like Eustace and Martin who are obviously part of that, and Grant and Keogh are off colour. We need a reaction now, a big one. But you know what? I have confidence in the players to do it. They've done it before; the fact we're even in the hunt at all is due to the player's reaction to what happened at Wembley before.

I half expect someone to jump on me for that, telling me to "wake up and smell the coffee" or reply with some over boring cliche. But I shouldn't have to defend my support for the team.

I'm preparing myself for the Wolves game to be the low point of the season, though

Thought Bamford was different class tonight and despite all the **** he was given throughout the game still had a bit of class to acknowledge the north stand in a non-sarcastic way. Top man.

We've got a Titus Bramble defence. Solid for 89 minutes but there's always that one error that costs us. Ne'mind, onto Wolves!

Hi guys boro fan in peace.

Just wanted to say that there really wasn't that much between us bar one piece of class from Tomlin and Bamford. You're injuries up front are killing you and you had neither the work rate or the craft to break us down as a result.

From the putside it looks like you've been unlucky that your injuries have come at a time when you have fixture congestion which has lead to your dip in form. The IB cant come quick enough for you it seems.

Out of interest you must have someone you can stick up front, if not for goals then to get the best out of your midfield.

I'd picked you as a top two before the season started and feel its a shame that things are dropping off. To be honest yourr next two games could be make or break for you a these rutts are hard to get out of.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season will watch you onfriday

Hi guys boro fan in peace.

Just wanted to say that there really wasn't that much between us bar one piece of class from Tomlin and Bamford. You're injuries up front are killing you and you had neither the work rate or the craft to break us down as a result.

From the putside it looks like you've been unlucky that your injuries have come at a time when you have fixture congestion which has lead to your dip in form. The IB cant come quick enough for you it seems.

Out of interest you must have someone you can stick up front, if not for goals then to get the best out of your midfield.

I'd picked you as a top two before the season started and feel its a shame that things are dropping off. To be honest yourr next two games could be make or break for you a these rutts are hard to get out of.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season will watch you onfriday

Obviously we are missing martin and the holding player but......our problems go a bit deeper than that.

when we were poor at boro away we had martin and mascarell in the team and yet we were still poor.

It is absolutely vital that we sort this asap but we just don't look capable of getting back in the groove.

in addition to the problems associated with Martin and Thorne......

grant and keogh drop clangers every game

teams have rumbled that if they press us as we go sideways across the back four then we are liable to panic and drop a bolllock.

poor old christie.....he's a really good player.....but his confidence is so fragile.

we rely on the full backs to be our main attacking threat and right now, they don't have the required quality. 

Ward and ince seem slightly off it. 

We created very little v boro and altho we worked hard and competed, we seem to lack the required quality all over the pitch.

thats the painful truth.

Archived