Grant's recent form.

Rams1884

Surprised there have not been too many comments about Grant's recent bad form too. Yes he always produces great blocks and has had some great form during the season but he has also gone rather wobbly recently too. I feel he has been responsible for a handful  of goals over the least few matches, most notably on Tue. I was unfortunately in with the Brighton fans but with a view right on the goal line. What the travelling fans may not have seen to the build up to the first goal was that he failed to give Jamie Ward a call when the ball was harmlessly going out for a goal-kick. Ward kicked it into touch for a throw in instead and was irate at Grant when he realised there was no pressure on him at all.Ward then is subbed(taking out a very attacking threat- I don't usually like Ward but him and Ince were head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch up until that point) as like the Charlton game a few seasons ago he can get a right mardy-****to team mates which is something Mac does not tolerate. I am not saying that attitude is right at all  BUT Grant should def have given him the call though.The resulting throw- in led to the goals( which admittedly was also shocking defending). The second goal was very well taken despite Macs rather disingenuous post match comment on that front but was something Grant should have also saved. Anyway just hope he can pick up the type of form he showed earlier in the season and reckon we will be half way re-aligned again. Albentosa starting would be nice too though. ..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the standout players of the season.

Saved us points more times than I can remember. Can forgive him a few errors. 

Stopped it being 3-0 when McCormack had a free shot at him v Fulham and produced the same save again v Brighton. 

Who's better in this division? Might be a couple of equals but I've seen about 4 Boruc howlers and his kicking is dodgy as a Harry Redknapp free signing. 

Nobody is going to do a better job. 

Next up on Who Shall We Blame.....

Lee Grant please come down!!!

We're 2nd, calm down enjoy the ride, get behind the lads

I have to say when Granty was bought back in I wasn't to sure about it, players never seem to do well second time round. 

However he's been really good for us, solid and dependable. There's plenty of times you could argue he's won us points with his saves. He's not quite hit the heights of his pre-injury form, but he's certainly not done badly, yes the odd mistake especially the goal that he dived under (Sheff Wed I think), but on the whole he's still decent when he's not on top form. 

Once again, what is a perfectly valid post just ends up getting ripped to pieces for no reason.

Although OP poster is saying is that Grant's form has dipped recently, what is wrong with that? Anyone who doesn't see it needs to take their Rams tinted glasses off.

Like a few others maybe his confidence is suffering.

I certainly would not consider dropping him though at this stage of the season. The points he has earned us have definitely outweighed anything he has cost us and he is one of our most experienced players.

I apologies if the original comment could be taken as offence but I just think, in my humble opinion, that we are getting a bit on edge and playing the blame game. @Rams1884 I know Grant hasn't had the best month but every goalkeeper has a mistake in them, if they didn't well they would be better than a Neuer or a Yashin. True Roos could have the ability to step in as number 1 and hold his own for such a young age but watching football focus this weekend, asking whether to drop Foster for the Villa game, Harston said "Dropping a goalkeeper for a bad performance is amplified compared to an outfield player as the goalkeeper is pivotal to a side and requires confidence from the manager and players to strive." Dropping Grant must be a last resort as if Roos cant perform, Grant could take a negative effect from the change and possibly take a while to get back to average confidence and form.

Obviously my opinion is no more valuable than the rest of us so take what you can from my opinionated post

I apologies if the original comment could be taken as offence but I just think, in my humble opinion, that we are getting a bit on edge and playing the blame game. @Rams1884 I know Grant hasn't had the best month but every goalkeeper has a mistake in them, if they didn't well they would be better than a Neuer or a Yashin. True Roos could have the ability to step in as number 1 and hold his own for such a young age but watching football focus this weekend, asking whether to drop Foster for the Villa game, Harston said "Dropping a goalkeeper for a bad performance is amplified compared to an outfield player as the goalkeeper is pivotal to a side and requires confidence from the manager and players to strive." Dropping Grant must be a last resort as if Roos cant perform, Grant could take a negative effect from the change and possibly take a while to get back to average confidence and form.

Obviously my opinion is no more valuable than the rest of us so take what you can from my opinionated post

• 2 weeks later...

Archived