R.I.P Dave Mackay

Very sad news. I was 11 years old when we signed him and what a man and player he was. A true legend of Derby, Spurs and football. Rest in peace Dave.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a drink and a chat with him at the Play Off Final v West Brom in 2007. He was sat with his son and Roy Mac in a hospitality suite at Wembley. I've got the programme signed by both of them.

Really nice guy, friendly, gracious, charming, with a glint of humour in his eye as he let me ramble on about being an excited teenager on the Popside watching his fantastic sides of 1974/75 and 75/76.

Thanks for the title win big man.....thanks for Frannie Lee, Bruce Rioch, Charlie George added to the class that was already here. Thanks for giving us the best team in England to watch.

RIP Dave Mackay.

The softly spoken voice belied the lion roaring within,didn't it utch?

I tell you what,I wouldn't have liked to be the one to ask him if he wanted a midfielder sitting in front of any back four he played in.

Horrible news. 

Obviously I have only been treated to stories of what he did here, rather than first-hand experience, but he'll still be a Derby County legend in my eyes and a player that I don't think I'll ever forget even into my old age. 

I have no doubt the club will go all out against Birmingham, another one of his former clubs, on Saturday. 

A legend as a player and a manager here, so I'd say he deserves it. 

Old Spurs fans will be in mourning today as Dave Mackay will be remembered as one of their best ever players. 

Old football fans will remember him as one of the best ever players of all time.

Old Derby fans will remember both as a great player and a great manager

​Even as an old guy you could just tell he was as hard as nails...quiet, confident, polite, but there was an aura about the man. He was like an old mafia don!

Roy Mac will be devastated, he worshipped him. The mutual respect between the two was obvious.

I know it was a long time ago, but I can still remember the disbelief in the town when it was announced that we had signed him.  Simpler, less social media gossipy days though they were, Dave Mackay was a footballer that everyone knew about, even if you didn't follow football.  Think of any world famous footballer - Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, anyone - and try to imagine what you would feel like if Sam announced tomorrow that we had signed them.  That's what it was like when Dave signed for us

The stories about him recovering from a broken leg not once but twice (in the days when surgery never mind football medicine was at a pretty low level) and then tackling as hard as he had before, were legion.  That famous picture of him grabbing that little toe rag Bremner was because Bremner had just had a go on DM's return after one of his broken legs. He always was stupid, Bremner.

He taught Roy Mac and others to play, yes.  But much more importantly he taught them how to win.

It was my great privilege to have seen him play for the team I love and later to manage us too.  The world is a poorer place today 

PistoldPete2

Very very sad. Almost taken for granted as a manager, but what a stroke of genius it was bringing in franny lee to help us win the league title. Mackay and Clough were legends and we won't see their likes  again. 

Sad news, I was too young to watch when he was at Derby but obviously know the effect he had, he also should have stayed  longer.

rest in peace Mr Mackay.

no doubt Sir Brian will be looking after you at the moment.

Archived