R.I.P Dave Mackay

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

Someone mentioned Steven Gerrard in connection with Dave mAckay. Let's be clear.... Steve gerrard has a fit wag girlfriend and earns lots of money in the premier league. Dave mAckay is a football legend who actually won league titles, both as a player and as a manager, he didn't throw them away like gerrard did. 

There re just is no comparison, both as a player and as a person, Dave mackay was ten times what Steven Gerard will ever be. 

Someone mentioned Steven Gerrard in connection with Dave mAckay. Let's be clear.... Steve gerrard has a fit wag girlfriend and earns lots of money in the premier league. Dave mAckay is a football legend who actually won league titles, both as a player and as a manager, he didn't throw them away like gerrard did. 

There re just is no comparison, both as a player and as a person, Dave mackay was ten times what Steven Gerard will ever be. 

​Utch made the link some time ago Pistold, but worry not he also said that Gerrard wasn't fit to lace Dave's boots.  And he's right

Utch made the comment because Dave Mackay is being largely linked in most of the media with Spurs and the papers are forgetting what he did with us as player and manager.  He was making the point that if Gerrard won the league as our manager he would still be associated with Liverpool.

I am genuinely sad that the modern media find it hard to look beyond a limited number of Premier League clubs and that for Sky football only began when they took over the TV rights, even when someone like Dave Mackay dies.  But I really don't object to their linking him with Spurs.  He played over 300 matches for them (despite two broken legs) and it's easy to forget how hard it was to do the double in the 'old' days and how feted that Spurs team was.  Dave Mackay was a huge player in a huge team.

What is sad is that by exclusion they minimise what he did for us.  He led a young side (and manager) to glory in the most glorious way. He played over 130 games for us. He won the Football Writers Player of the Year award with us (voted for by some of the very same writers now forgetting his Derby achievements). He then came back in the most difficult circumstances, developed the team and led it to even greater heights, with Des Anderson.

As Utch (and you) rightly said, Gerrard is not, and will never be, fit to tie his laces 

PistoldPete2

Totally get this uttox, I only mentioned gerrard as you set me thinking of a modern day equivalent to Dave mAckay... There just isn't one. Some of the Manu players won loads of trophies Keane, cantona, giggs etc but not really in the same class as players and none have made it into management at least not yet. Not quite true that it's unique for someone to be a legend as player and manager at the same club, Howard Kendall won titles for Everton both as player and manager, as did dalglish for Liverpool. 

PistoldPete2

What does surprise me in the media is that his league title at Derby gets at most a passing mention. After Dave mAckays passing how many managers alive today have won an English title? Ferguson has quite a few. After that wenger, mourinho Mancini pellegrini , George graham, dalglish , wilkinson and Kendall. I'm struggling to name more than that not even double figures.

I'm a grown man - actually make that "I'm an old man" - but I shed tears earlier this week when I heard that the legend that was Dave Mackay, my hero, had passed away.

Quiet, reflective tears - fitting tributes to memories that were once joyous but which are now exceedingly poignant. The tears dry, the sadness will pass, but the memories will remain with me for the rest of my days.

It was a Wednesday near the end of July in 1968, I believe, that the news broke in the Derby Evening Telegraph that Tottenham Hotspur's tough-tackling, brilliant rampaging midfielder had just signed for Derby County. Nobody could quite bring themselves to believe it but there it was, in black and white, so to speak - Brian Clough had pulled off one of the most audacious signings of the decade by bringing one of the great names in the game to little Derby. I wish I still had that paper - now, more than ever.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/derbycounty/news/38058/

Lazy linking? You bet. You want to read the rest of the article, you visit the site.

Archived