R.I.P Dave Mackay

I don't want there to be any minute's silence nonsense, either tonight or on Saturday.

Chant his name long, loud and often. This man was the greatest inspiration of all to a young side, and when the time came, a fantastic manager to boot, and is every bit as important in our club's history as the late great Brian Clough and Peter Taylor.

RIP Dave, gone but never forgotten.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously way before my time, but lots of pals in Scotland tweeting me about just how good he was. How his hard side actually took away from the fact that he could play. People always focused on how tough he was instead of applauding his ability. 

My first season at the Baseball Ground I was very privileged to watch Dave Mackay's wonderful team march to become champions. I witnessed breathtaking football at times that set the standard in my mind for how football should be played - it remains my benchmark and always will be. A great player and manager. 

I started watching just at the end of Brian Clough's reign, but I was too small to really appreciate any of it. It was Mackay's team that got me hooked on football and Derby County. It feels like a little piece of me has passed away too.Rest in Peace Dave Mackay.

Archived