R.I.P Dave Mackay

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing. Mackay had retired from football in total the year I really started following Derby - yet his loss still saddens me. Dad will be gutted, he grew up watching the team he played in, and worshipped the team he managed to a title.

DCFC have announced a minute applause both tonight and Saturday, players will wear black armbands, and the programme will have a memorial cover for Saturday. Flag is at half mast at the iPro, too.

Would be something special - and there's a few tweets to this effect flying round - if the South Stand were to be named in his honour, although there is already the Dave Mackay Suite.

Dave Mackay 12-0 Finn Harps.

Hope Cloughie's looking after you up there big man.

I remember him flattening Bobby Gould , at the Ossie end once , Bobby was being a tad rambunctious , and after one Coventry attack the ball and most of the players cleared off to the Normanton end , except for Gould who was spark out in the area , and Dave who was casually strolling towards the half way line as if nothing untoward had occurred , brilliant memories .

Great player, great manager, true Derby legend, will forever be remembered.

We honoured Clough and Taylor with a statue, the club must do the right thing and find a fitting way to honour Mackay also.

Thoughts are with his family at this sad time

RIP the late great Dave Mackay

http://I was 11 when Mackay was signed and watching him play over the next three seasons was a privilege. Probably the best player I've ever seen in our shirt, certainly the most inspirational one. It's such players that build a club's history and a reason why today's kids become Derby fans. Nuts to a minute's applause on Saturday. It demands a minute

I'm old enough to remember when Clough signed him. I'd seen him play a few times for Spurs (including when they beat City to win the double in 1961) and I thought he was on the long slow fall down the leagues until he would end up running a boozer somewhere. Mind you, I thought Clough was going nowhere with Derby as well. Yeah, right.

Mackay was, quite simply, one of the greatest footballers of his day - or any other day come to that. If he'd been English, he'd have walked into England's World Cup side, and he might even have ended up managing England.

There were a few self-consciously "hard" players around in his era (Norman Hunter, Ron Harris, etc) but unlike them, Mackay was a genuinely good footballer. I doubt we'll ever see his like again.

For me the significance of Dave Mackays legendary status at Derby County can be summed up in one match.

The Rams had made an excellent start to the 69/70 season in the First Division after being promoted the previous season, 9 matches played, 5 wins, 4 draws, and next up the biggest test yet, away to Fairs Cup winners Newcastle United.  Roy McFarland had smashed one in at the Gallowgate End and with the pressure mounting the fist clenching, finger pointing, back slapping, influence of Mackay was immeasurable and after 90 minutes my team yes my team Derby County Football Club were top of the league, Mackays performance was colossal!

Did we see the best of Mackay at Derby, probably not, but his influence on the greatest defender I ever saw in a Derby shirt, Roy McFarland, is well documented and monumental.

Today is a sad day for supporters who lived through the greatest era in our history. I for one will never forget those magnificent memories and thank you David Craig Mackay, a footballing great and a true Derby County legend.

Archived