R.I.P Dave Mackay

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started watching just at the end of Brian Clough's reign, but I was too small to really appreciate any of it. It was Mackay's team that got me hooked on football and Derby County. It feels like a little piece of me has passed away too.Rest in Peace Dave Mackay.

A true, proper and all time great of the game, never mind us and Spurs.  The word 'legend' does him a disservice.  This was someone far above legendary status however much that word will be used in the next few days.

But for us, as a player he taught the likes of Roy McFarland how to be a centre half.  He made that first Clough team - the barrel chest, the cultured left foot, shot like a hammer, talking, directing, leading.

And later, as manager, facing down the players and fans revolt (he was probably the only person who could have done it) and creating what in my mind is still the best Derby team there has ever been - equally brilliant in both defence and attack 

I started watching just at the end of Brian Clough's reign, but I was too small to really appreciate any of it. It was Mackay's team that got me hooked on football and Derby County. It feels like a little piece of me has passed away too.Rest in Peace Dave Mackay.

Archived