Jump to content

Boxing Thread


Recommended Posts

Start to wonder how good Joshua is...really thought he'd be tested tonight, but absolute demolition job.

Congrats due to Dave Ryan too, proper tear up and great heart to come back from two knock downs to win. The man's a true warrior.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure whether the Heavyweight division is really terrible at the moment, or whether klitschko is that good that he seems to comfortably beat any challenger put in his way.

So many have unbeaten records ahead of fighting Klitschko and then they just lose and seemingly disappear from the face of the earth.

What has happened to the likes of Pulev, Povetkin, Wach, Chagaev and Pianeta. These are all names with only one loss on their record (to Klitschko) but none have been sounded out for fights against Fury, Chisora, Joshua etc.

I know these fights might not make for big headlines and a lot of money, but they should be used to really test UK's best talent. Who has Fury actually fought that are any good?

 

Edited by Bris Vegas
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure whether the Heavyweight division is really terrible at the moment, or whether klitschko is that good that he seems to comfortably beat any challenger put in his way.

So many have unbeaten records ahead of fighting Klitschko and then they just lose and seemingly disappear from the face of the earth.

What has happened to the likes of Pulev, Povetkin, Wach, Chagaev and Pianeta. These are all names with only one loss on their record (to Klitschko) but none have been sounded out for fights against Fury, Chisora, Joshua etc.

I know these fights might not make for big headlines and a lot of money, but they should be used to really test UK's best talent. Who has Fury actually fought that are any good?

 

​No stand out names. but Fury's next fight against Klitschko is a mandatory anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
15 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Special K just too good tonight, when will Eddie Hearn get him a decent fight?

Poor bloke he beat looked scared from the minute he started his ringwalk. 

Eubank Jnr looked pretty special tonight, soon be on for bigger fights.

Lost count of the number of uppercuts, towards the end had breather, but forced stoppage in 10th due to opponents swollen eye, masked how dominant he had been.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Special K just too good tonight, when will Eddie Hearn get him a decent fight?

Poor bloke he beat looked scared from the minute he started his ringwalk. 

I think the problem he faces is Hearn wants the big fights in the UK. That's where they can sell PPV, and earn the money. But who out there is going to come to the UK to fight him? The general public in America hasn't really heard of him.

There are so many options in America at 147 - Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Errol Spence, Marcos Maidana, Diego Chavez, Adrien Broner, Devon Alexander, Lamont Peterson, Timmothy Bradley, Lucas Mattyse, Andre Berto, Manny Pacquiao, Robert Guerrero... The list is endless.

I know he fought Shawn Porter and won... But one win doesn't really make an impact.

I can understand Khan's position. He has a far better resume and he is a bigger name. Brook doesn't deserve a 50% split. I mean, he's world champion, but only due to one good win. 

What Brook has to do is fight bigger names. Him and Hearn need to swallow their pride, go to America, take a 25-30% cut in fights with the likes of Broner, Bradley, Garcia etc.. And build up his resume. It's risky, as he could lose and then Brook without a title won't be able to demand more than 20% cut, but it's necessary.

Everyone knows how good Brook is. So why would they travel to England and only take 50%, or 60% at the very most. It's not worth it, when these guys can get more money and bigger, perhaps easier, fights in the US.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Kell Brook has got to get a big fight now ! Surely ! Amir khan needs to stop being scared and step up ! Brook would destroy him I genuinely believe that !

As I wrote above, I don't believe fear has anything to do with it. Brook's demands for the Khan fight is ridiculous. Brook barely sells out Sheffield, whereas Khan is known world-wide.

Brook's IBF title counts for very little when he's not a big name and it's come off the back of one win. Who will now come to England to challenge him? Somebody like Robert Guerrero can earn more money in the US fighting in a non-title fight than go to England to fight Brook.

Brook has to give. He has to swallow his pride, go to the US, accept like 30% cuts and fight bigger names.

It's the same with Viktor Postol at light welterweight. He's a champion, but hardly anybody has heard of him.. So he won't be able to demand big cuts in big fights. He actually went to the States to fight Matthysse and won - Brook should take note though I understand the obvious risks.

Khan will earn a lot more from the Canelo fight, and if he loses, nobody will bat an eyelid. 

I have a friend who is a pro boxer. Fought Carl Frampton on the undercard of Froch/Bute in Nottingham. He's a very good fighter, but securing big fights is such a tough business. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

As I wrote above, I don't believe fear has anything to do with it. Brook's demands for the Khan fight is ridiculous. Brook barely sells out Sheffield, whereas Khan is known world-wide.

Brook's IBF title counts for very little when he's not a big name and it's come off the back of one win. Who will now come to England to challenge him? Somebody like Robert Guerrero can earn more money in the US fighting in a non-title fight than go to England to fight Brook.

Brook has to give. He has to swallow his pride, go to the US, accept like 30% cuts and fight bigger names.

It's the same with Viktor Postol at light welterweight. He's a champion, but hardly anybody has heard of him.. So he won't be able to demand big cuts in big fights. He actually went to the States to fight Matthysse and won - Brook should take note though I understand the obvious risks.

Khan will earn a lot more from the Canelo fight, and if he loses, nobody will bat an eyelid. 

I have a friend who is a pro boxer. Fought Carl Frampton on the undercard of Froch/Bute in Nottingham. He's a very good fighter, but securing big fights is such a tough business. 

 

 

But surely if you have the talent ( which he has in abundance) then you deserve the fight , that's what kell has a promoter for in eddie hearn who is supposed to be one of the best in the business you would of thought he would be able to get him that 1 big name . 

On the America point, totally agree ! If he's the "smaller " name it's natural that he has to go over there and fight !

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, inter politics said:

Apparently Blackwell has a bleed on the brain...

Personally thought the ref or corner should have stopped it a couple of rounds earlier, the lad was getting pummelled. Hope he recovers.

Been put into an induced coma. Hope he's going to be ok. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cisse said:

I'm disgusted by the actions of the boxing world. In hope of knock outs and knock downs refs let the beating go too far. Refs job is see that safety of the boxer is properly considered through the whole match.

Just seen a side on picture of that bulging eye, won't post it in view of decency but that is one humongous swelling! Should have been stopped sooner, Eubank had the fight long won bar a knock down coming his way. Oddly reminded me of some of those Benn v Eubank snr bouts, toe to toe stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Just seen a side on picture of that bulging eye, won't post it in view of decency but that is one humongous swelling! Should have been stopped sooner, Eubank had the fight long won bar a knock down coming his way. Oddly reminded me of some of those Benn v Eubank snr bouts, toe to toe stuff.

and Watson

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Just seen a side on picture of that bulging eye, won't post it in view of decency but that is one humongous swelling! Should have been stopped sooner, Eubank had the fight long won bar a knock down coming his way. Oddly reminded me of some of those Benn v Eubank snr bouts, toe to toe stuff.

I was in the pub and noticed the boxing was on at the end of round 8. My mate asked who's winning and I said, not the guy covered in blood. I could see without seeing any of the fight it should have been stopped sooner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Just seen a side on picture of that bulging eye, won't post it in view of decency but that is one humongous swelling! Should have been stopped sooner, Eubank had the fight long won bar a knock down coming his way. Oddly reminded me of some of those Benn v Eubank snr bouts, toe to toe stuff.

Classic orbital fracture. I pointed out to the people I was with he had it a good few minutes before the fight was stopped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

But surely if you have the talent ( which he has in abundance) then you deserve the fight , that's what kell has a promoter for in eddie hearn who is supposed to be one of the best in the business you would of thought he would be able to get him that 1 big name . 

On the America point, totally agree ! If he's the "smaller " name it's natural that he has to go over there and fight !

I think Brook's style lets him down. The guy is a superb fighter, could he even be the best 147lb on the planet at the moment but his fights are often quite low-key, and his style is all about efficiency.

With Khan you normally get fireworks. He's far more explosive, and he's far more likely to be knocked out too. I think Brook's the better fighter, but I'd prefer to watch Khan in all honesty.

All the 147 action is in America. A Victor Ortiz and Andre Berto rematch for example is bigger than what IBF champion Brook can conjure up in the UK. It just won't happen for him there, he must go to the US.

It's different in the heavyweight division. The best are in the UK. Some great middleweight/super middleweights in the UK too with Andy Lee, Billy Joe Saunders, James Degale, Martin Murray, Callum Smith, Eubank Jr, George Groves. There is literally nothing at welterweight in the UK to get your out of your seat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.