Derby County v Charlton Athletic

PrivateDerby

RamNut's point is very interesting.

How many other managers would still be playing sides mainly made up of their predecessor's signings almost a year on from their appointment? Most managers in this country seem to get some sort of kick out of changing absolutely everything as quickly as possible.

To be fair, Mac was very guilty of that when he was employed by our friends across the A52.

Indeed, that is one of the main things that impressed me with the Mac.  He could see how good a squad we had, he just gave them some confidence and took his time to see what improvements we needed.

For this season I've been a bit nervous as to whether he can spot the bargains like Clough did, but with players like Christie and the young Spaniards we've got in I'm feeling pretty happy he's carrying on in the same vein.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, that is one of the main things that impressed me with the Mac. He could see how good a squad we had, he just gave them some confidence and took his time to see what improvements we needed.

For this season I've been a bit nervous as to whether he can spot the bargains like Clough did, but with players like Christie and the young Spaniards we've got in I'm feeling pretty happy he's carrying on in the same vein.

I think we went for Christie when Nige was still here didn't we? Steve an co did alright with Thorne though! Who bought Whitbread in?

Talking of Nige, he seems to have turned into some cup legend on Sheff Utd when his cup games here were some of the worst performances.

I think we went for Christie when Nige was still here didn't we? Steve an co did alright with Thorne though! Who bought Whitbread in?

Talking of Nige, he seems to have turned into some cup legend on Sheff Utd when his cup games here were some of the worst performances.

Actually yeah I'd heard that said about Christie, but don't remember it at the time.  Whitbread a think was done by Rush et al in between dumping Clough and getting Mac in.

Having seen him speaking a bit since he's been at SU he looks like he's been "freed" a bit since he left.  I have a feeling he was too scared to fail here and he became over-cautious.  He appears to be far more adventurous there and seems to be doing better for it.  All the best to him from me.

We only scored due to a refereeing error. FACT. I read it on the Charlton forum.

Has anyone read why the ref gave a free kick? I was baffled at the time and haven't seen an explanation yet... But you have to take the chances you get - we'd have won in extra time anyway. Charlton were intent to time waste their way to penalties, so I'm glad we nicked a late one!

Didn't touch the ball, didn't get onto a rebound, didn't block the keepers vision, so not offside.

I'm glad it didn't rebound out to him. He sausageted it into row Z when it bounced out the goal (and was offside). What a muppet, I hate Martin.

PS I realise he was just doing it to waste a bit of time, I'm actually impressed with that kind of thinking. I actually love Martin, but don't tell my wife.

Archived