Derby County v Charlton Athletic

PrivateDerby

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from this, had a lot of possession first half but moved it really slowly and Charlton kept their shape well however we still managed to create a chance for Best whose shot was well saved. Bikey was an absolute animal for them all night and regularly made vital challenges and used his strength well to make life hard for Best however his performance was mirrored by Whitbread who was a colossus alongside Keogh (he was good too).

Shotton seems similar to Wisdom at right back in that he is very comfortable defensively but lacks the trickery to go past his marker and put a ball in when going forward but overall gave a solid performance against Harriet who looked lively.

The substitutions signalled a change in shape to a 4-2-3-1 (I think) with Martin going in the hole behind Best whilst Santos and Calero filled the wide areas. Santos was very threatening due to his pace and put a couple of decent balls in whilst Calero seemed to drift inside more. He should've scored a couple of minutes before he did however his shot was pretty weak and straight down the middle which was completely the opposite of what his goal was. He powered it in after great work from Martin to hold off Vetokele and square it to Calero who smashed it in the top corner. Both Santos and Calero did look a bit lightweight at times when going in for challenges (Calero in particular) but I expected that anyway.

We have someone who can put in a decent set piece! Mascarell whips them right on top of the keeper so he can't come out and catch it and makes defenders back peddle towards their own goal, we actually looked vaguely threatening from corners today.

Ratings:

Grant - 7 - Didn't have a great deal to do aside from a late claim from a cross and a one-handed save from a free kick but did nothing wrong.

Shotton - 7 - Solid, especially as he hasn't trained with the other players yet

Keogh - 7 - (see Shotton)

Whitbread - 9 - absolutely collosal, won vital defensive headers and battled well with the Charlton forward

Forsyth - 6 - solid but wasn't really an attacking presence as he was last season

Hendrick 7 - didn't do a great deal but kept possession ticking over

Hughes 7 - (see Hendrick)

Mascarell - 7 - great set pieces but contributed to the slow tempo first half, played well in the second half and started to dictate play until he was subbed.

Dawkins - 6 - didn't look that threatening but did some good work tracking his fullback to help Forsyth

Russell - 7 - Put a few good balls in but nobody got on the end of them

Best - 7 - was knackered by the end but battled well against Bikey all game, didn't really have a great deal of top quality service

Subs:

Martin - 8 - classy, set up the goal brilliantly and nearly got one himself

Calero - 7 - got a debut goal but other than that he didn't get involved too much

Santos - 8 - seemed a genuine threat out wide but does seem very reliant on his right foot if I was to be picky and injected some urgency into the game

Oh, I didn't talk about Shotton. Thought he put in an assured performance but for me he's not as good as Christie attacking wise and he's not as good as Wisdom defensively. I think it's safe to say both these things even at this early stage. I'm not sure where he fits other than being a utility man.

Anybody who says whitbread isn't good enough for our first team obviously wasn't at the game, one if the best performances I've seen from a defender, I'm gonna feel sorry for him when he's inevitably dropped for bucko on Saturday

Bucko still has a niggle so it wouldn't surprise me if Whitbread keeps his place. Get everyone right for after the international break.

Hughes completely controlled the game, especially 1st half, Whitbread very good too, Shotton very solid and looked decent going forward, Mascarell looks tidy will look much better in time I'm sure.

Suprised how decent Best looked, never really rated him but looked dangerous, makes different runs and movement compared to Martin, in time I'm sure the other players will get used to this.

A good patient performance, never stopped trying to play, rewarded thanks to Martins effort and Calero's finish.

Thought it was weird 1st half whenever Charlton had a goal kick every single player on the pitch was in the left hand side, their keepers kicking was awful though.

Reminded me of being at school, Stop Bunching!

One last thing, how good was their number 6 centre back? He was fantastic.

Edit - Andre Bikey. He would have been MotM if Charlton won.

I remember seeing Bikey for Reading a few years ago and he looked absolute mustard.

Seemed to have gone off the radar since then

Thought we weren't great in the first half, but came into it in the second.

Mascerell doesn't look great when under pressure and needing to make tackles, more of a controller than an enforcer. Improved second half but I'm not sure he's the season long defensive midfield solution.

Thought Russell put some great balls into the box, but no one got on the end of them.

Best I don't think is still quite match fit / on the pace. Fell over a lot and missed a fair few chances, but the one he had in the first half was a good effort. Will get annoying if this form continues. Hope we don't lose Martin at any point this season as we'll be buggered; he looked awesome when he came on.

Santos was great from the start when he came on and Calero grew into the game. Both quick and direct. If I were Dawkins I'd be getting worried about my place!

shotton played well.

Whitbread looked solid.

Santos was lively.

calero looks more of a central player.

The disappointment of the night for me was mascarel, too slow to release the ball which inevitably goes backwards or sideways. Don't get me wrong he can pass the ball but his style and tempo do not suit us. He was bypassed or out muscled a few times.

Think Tottenham loaned us Dawkins' brother and sold us the dud one.

Martin class. If ever a player was made for this system it's him.

Archived