Derby County v Charlton Athletic

PrivateDerby

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deserved win, we always seem to finish strongly nowadays

Better do the marks

Grant 7 - little to do, one good save I can recall

Shotton 7 - looks a unit, can see him challenging for a few positions (CDM being one possibly)

Forsyth 6 - bit subdued again

Keogh 7 - quietly effective

Whitbread 8 - good interceptions

Hendrick 7 - came into the game after slow start

Mascarell 7 - similar to above, passes it well (his main asset I'd say)

Hughes 7 - decent game, kept things ticking

Best 6 - had one good effort, kept battling

Russell 6 - tried hard but final ball lacked quality

Dawkins 5 - lacklustre and made no impact

Subs

Martin 8 - oozed quality when he came on, class above

Calero 7 - eager beaver, very lively and has goalscoring knack

Santos 7 - some nice touches and has a bit of pace

Should have won 4 or 5 nil but I'd happily take a last minute winner. Especially against that nothing club.

The three subs absolutely changed the game. Before, we had all the possession but lacked a cutting edge - lots of passing it around the edge of their box.

Grant 7 - Commanded his area well and made a good save from a FK.

Shotton 6 - Looked solid - very Wisdom-esque performance. Got beat for pace a couple of times.

Keogh 7 - Very good once more. Dominated aerially even when Bikey moved up front. Made a great block in the 1st half but could have had a hat-trick (no joke). Terrible finishing.

Whitbread 9 MOTM - Absolute defending masterclass. Strolled around the pitch, mopping things up and putting his foot in when needed. He single-handedly repelled a barrage of corners towards the end.

Forsyth 5 - Really poor, nothing came off for him at all. Wayward passes, miscontrolling all over the place. Did get forward a bit more than usual though.

Mascarell 6 - Decent. Showed his passing ability and put in some great set-pieces. Tried to be too fancy sometimes and lost the ball as a result. I'd still have Eustace over him.

Hendrick 7 - Got forward well and had a couple of chances which he should have done better with. Very positive performance.

Hughes 7 - Same as Hendrick. Kept things ticking over in the middle and made some good challenges as well.

Dawkins 6 - Very steady performance. Did the basics right but didn't really offer an outlet going forward. Seemed reluctant to take on his man.

Russell 7 - Our most dangerous player in the first half. Attacked their full back at every opportunity, although his decision making when he got to the byline was often terrible.

Best 7 - Good performance. Battled away against an absolute lump and got stuck in. He only had scraps to work with but fashioned himself a couple of decent chances. Good in the air too.

Martin 8 - Showed why he is integral to the team. Hold-up play superb and we looked instantly more dangerous with him on.

Santos 8 - Absolutely fearless with the ball. Showed some nice skills and beat his man all ends up on a couple of occasions. Crossing looked good too.

Calero 7 - Looked more of a striker than Santos. Didn't show an awful lot in open play but came alive in their box. Scored and should have done much better with a chance just before that.

Can't wait to see more of the two youngsters. Both look like they have really bright futures.

Thought Dawkins played ok tonight.... Whitbread won every header just about, Russell I thought was ineffective tonight. Mascarell needed the game. Grant couldn't have had an easier night. Shotton strong as an ox

I expect schteve will keep the faith and there will be few changes if any.

However sooner or later Calero must get 15-20 minutes as sub.

Don't see why that shouldn't be sooner rather than later.

And i bet he scores.

Beat that.

Quick ratings,

Grant - 6 - nowt to do so hard to rate him better

Shotton - 7 - sound game, nothing spectacular but no mistakes

Keogh - 7 - played well

Whitbread - 8 - battled brilliantly. Won everything.

Forsyth - 5 - gave the ball away often, didn't look himself

Mascarell - 6.5 - played better second half before coming off. Grew into the game. Some brilliant corners too!

Hughes - 7 - always involved

Hendrick - 6 - in and out of the game. Had a few chances to shoot but always fell on his left peg

Dawkins - 6.5 - did ok without anything spectacular

Russell - 6 - similar to Dawkins

Best - 6.5 - had a few good moments, particularly the dummy first half and the good shot. Seems to want to spin in behind rather than show himself short to allow runners to go beyond like Martin does. Just inexperienced in our system.

Just got back.

Shotton looks good, strong and seems a decent defender, doesn't look to out of place going forward since he's played rm a few times

Whitbread absolutely solid, won everything in the air and barely did anything wrong, my motm

Mascarell seems decent enough can pass the ball well although he did hit a few hopeful ones that went no where

Best seems alright, not The same type as Martin though, he does come deep a few times but seems to prefer to try and inject pace and run in behind their defence more, he does seem to time his run a bit early though

Santos and Valero look handy, didn't see much of calero since I was sitting his other side but looked pacy and nifty with the ball and unlucky his first effort didn't go in, santos is like a rocket, blimey he's got pace, very direct and gets in the behind very well because of it, very very fast and both look like good prospects

Martin class when he came on, specially when he outmuscled the charlton player and turned to drive into the box and make the assist

I can't see Mascarell playing many away games as CDM as not sure he has the physical presence in that sort of situation, but he can certainly pass the ball around although he was a bit sketchy to start off.

Have a feeling Shotton may be challenging there with Eustace or in the central defensive positions too maybe.

Funnily enough I usually think Dawkins has played better than a lot of others but tonight didn't think he was involved much, Russell certainly had more of the ball but didn't really make any great impact with it.

Unbiased thoughts before reading anyone else's:

Whitbread looked immense

Best was admirable effort but little end product aside from one excellent shimmy and shot, and a couple of decent runs in the second. Good energy but struggles on the ball generally

Martin was a class apart when he came on, best player on the pitch by far. Pay him whatever he wants

Calero: excellent movement, never stopped. Weak on the ball and poor tracking, fantastic finish. Looks very raw

Mascarell was poor. Beaten multiple times and sideways passing. Very mobile but didn't show enough for me. Eustace is a much better option at present

Santos - rapid, couple of very dangerous crosses

Archived