Derby County v Charlton Athletic

PrivateDerby

The refereeing decision was correct. FIFA Laws of the Game, Law 12:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his

own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a bit about the confusion. As a former referee myself I realised straight away that it was after kick to Derby and was shouting my gob off to take a quick one.... Couldn't believe they weren't on the ball so to speak

Thanks Duncan, and Mafia.  I wondered why he gave the free kick.  I think our players did too, judging by their reaction.  They initially thought that the ref had given the ball back to the keeper after he booked him for time wasting.  But if I were Charlton's manager I would be angry at their dozy reaction once the ball broke free after the free kick.  The goal had little to do with the initial decision.

General point - when was the last time anyone saw an indirect free kick awarded?  I can't recall one for years yet they used to be given all the time, mainly for obstruction, which now results in a direct free kick.  Bit like foul throws - you very rarely see one given nowadays.

Thanks Duncan, and Mafia.  I wondered why he gave the free kick.  I think our players did too, judging by their reaction.  They initially thought that the ref had given the ball back to the keeper after he booked him for time wasting.  But if I were Charlton's manager I would be angry at their dozy reaction once the ball broke free after the free kick.  The goal had little to do with the initial decision.

General point - when was the last time anyone saw an indirect free kick awarded?  I can't recall one for years yet they used to be given all the time, mainly for obstruction, which now results in a direct free kick.  Bit like foul throws - you very rarely see one given nowadays.

You never used to see holding at corners, but now it seems to be rude not to.

Great game actually, enjoyable. 

Any stick Dawkins gets for last night is complete ********, he was if anything better than Russell. That's the power of fan popularity, need to score a decent goal against Forest to be immune from criticism. Can you IMAGINE if Dawkins had missed the chances JR did against Wednesday? 

Shotton was competent and Wisdom-esque in his confidence defending, had some swagger and great strength.

Best was a handful, like Sammon, but not ****, like Sammon. Obviously still learning the Martin role, he wasn't picking up the ball deep enough; but that should come with time and coaching. His cut-back was superb, unlucky not to score.

Whitbread was superb, same with Keogh. If we keep Keogh (which I hope we do) we have 4 very competent players for CB.

Thanks Duncan, and Mafia. I wondered why he gave the free kick. I think our players did too, judging by their reaction. They initially thought that the ref had given the ball back to the keeper after he booked him for time wasting. But if I were Charlton's manager I would be angry at their dozy reaction once the ball broke free after the free kick. The goal had little to do with the initial decision.

General point - when was the last time anyone saw an indirect free kick awarded? I can't recall one for years yet they used to be given all the time, mainly for obstruction, which now results in a direct free kick. Bit like foul throws - you very rarely see one given nowadays.

Shotld be for offsides. Also if the keeper handles the ball from a pass to them by foot.

The refereeing decision was correct. FIFA Laws of the Game, Law 12:

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his 
own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

Just watched Full 90 via Rams Player.  I thought we played very well overall and should have won at least 3 or 4 nil. Regardless, we got the win and are advancing to the next round :D .  Calero and Santos were both imo quality when they came on, and I am very excited to see them grow, especially Calero who had the great strike to get the win.  Whitbread was great all night at heading away balls in or near the box, and Shotton was very quality I thought as well in defending his side of the pitch.

MoTM: Hard to really pick one with how well whole team performed, but I will go with Whitbread for how good he was defensively.

Why did he give the free kick outside the area instead of where the infringement took place?

(at least it looked like it was outside from where I was at the back of the North Stand)

I've watched it back again - it was bang on the line.  I'm not entirely convinced the ref was sure what he wanted to give, so he kind of hedged his bets.  If you want to look again, the freekick is 30 seconds into here:

I've watched it back again - it was bang on the line. I'm not entirely convinced the ref was sure what he wanted to give, so he kind of hedged his bets. If you want to look again, the freekick is 30 seconds into here:

thought he was 100% sure myself.... It were the players who weren't sure

Archived