Best TV Dramas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

20 years last week since The Sopranos aired.

Still re-watch it once a year and thought I might as well start early in 2019.

Just got to the one in series 6 where Paulie and Bobby Bacala have a beef after the fair ground accident and forgot how genuinely **** your pants scary the bit where Paulie sees the Virgin Mary in the Bing is.

Currently watching The Orville.

If you had all the money in the world, were a space Geek and a film/TV genius, why not make a comic homage to Star Trek in which you take centre stage as the captain of your own Starship? 

With his dosh from Family Guy, American Dad, Ted etc, Seth Macfarlane initially funded a remake of my own genius TV series, Cosmos. But I think his move to The Orville really showcases his brilliance. It's light, very funny and has a lot of real science buried in the episodes. 

Question Time

stars Fiona Bruce as David Dimbleby. Each week they have a random assortmentment of numpties who improvise, talking about stuff we can't mention like the old lady's plans for a bedsit, and what the family and neighbours think. Totally unrealistic and not how things would be in real life, but worth catching if you want a break from Babe Station.

• 2 weeks later...

Escape At Dannemora

Currently on Sky Atlantic. Absolutely superb.  Really atmospheric. If you like psychological thrillers and a story that gradually unfolds with detailed character portraits I reckon you'll like this one.

Directed by Ben Stiller of all people, with stunning photography. Didn't know he was so talented.

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Escape At Dannemora

Currently on Sky Atlantic. Absolutely superb.  Really atmospheric. If you like psychological thrillers and a story that gradually unfolds with detailed character portraits I reckon you'll like this one.

Directed by Ben Stiller of all people, with stunning photography. Didn't know he was so talented.

The last episode is really good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2019 at 16:54, mozza said:

Das Boot, Sky Atlantic, if the next 7 episodes are as good we're in for a treat. ?

Loving Das Boot.

Bizarrely, I quite like the fact it's mostly in German (although plenty of French and English spoken) which means I have to concentrate instead of trying to multi-task by having my laptop open (no dodgy sites visited. Well, apart from this one of course).

On 19/01/2019 at 10:57, Carl Sagan said:

Currently watching The Orville.

If you had all the money in the world, were a space Geek and a film/TV genius, why not make a comic homage to Star Trek in which you take centre stage as the captain of your own Starship? 

With his dosh from Family Guy, American Dad, Ted etc, Seth Macfarlane initially funded a remake of my own genius TV series, Cosmos. But I think his move to The Orville really showcases his brilliance. It's light, very funny and has a lot of real science buried in the episodes. 

I watched most of the first series but found the mix of Star Trek spoofery and often dark subject matter to be too jarring to be enjoyable. Plus Seth McFarlane is a bit marmite.

18 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Loving Das Boot.

Bizarrely, I quite like the fact it's mostly in German (although plenty of French and English spoken) which means I have to concentrate instead of trying to multi-task by having my laptop open (no dodgy sites visited. Well, apart from this one of course).

binged this over three days, found it pretty average to be honest.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Perhaps you over-dosed and should have spread the episodes over a few more days. But, no programme is to everyone's tastes. 

think i did it 3, 3, 2. It was just an average storyline, some bits predictable. Well worth a watch, but not worthy of a top 20 place.

Archived