Radio Derby and that moaning Baz. Tard.

Alph

Picking up just few words from my post and you have totally different context...

Normally during the season of course not.

But at this stage, as we are already in playoffs, I'd say yes. Another Boro-like-show with win would've be much more concerning than losing/drawing with a good performance.

Today though, the play-offs weren't guaranteed so a result was very important. The players provided that result and by a 2 goal margin, also coming back from an initial setback of their goal. That alone deserves plaudits. 

It just bothers me that people are getting on the players backs for putting in, what I thought, was a good performance and producing a good result when we needed it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Baz was dealt with unfairly. He wasn't complaining about the season, he was having a valid gripe about the drivel that was served up in the last half hour. Nothing to do with seeing the game out, everything to do with a series of misdirected sloppy passes and lack of movement. I wasn't concerned about us not scoring again, I just don't like players not doing their best.

Statistically we weren't bad at passing!

But look, I'm not saying the performance was more than it was. There were plenty of negatives AND positives. But the guy who rang up demanded entertainment.

I too would rather us keep going for more. But that's a preference to each of our views on how best to play. Some like Barca, some hate it.

But it's not an entertainment buisness. It's about results and the best way to make sure they keep coming. Which we both know. Baz demanded entertainment.

You're asking for concentration.

Birmingham - entertaining and lack of concentration. Threw away valuable points.

I'd have settled for a boring but controlled finish at St Andrews.

I'm genuinely shocked by some people moaning about the performance today. After 5 years of utter mediocrity we are third in the league and heading for the playoffs, not seeing the season out with nothing left to play for. FFS this is Derby County we are talking about, not Chelsea or Man City. Some people are never bloody satisfied.

Can't see why people have to park so close to the ground?

Park further away, walk a bit, have a chat on the walk back, drive home. Simple.

Absolutely, Boycie - or do what the Memsahib and I do - go for a couple of cups of coffee and a chat with friends for an hour after the game, then a leisurely drive home when the traffic has cleared.

Why does everyone have to be in a rush all the time?

Statistically we weren't bad at passing!

But look, I'm not saying the performance was more than it was. There were plenty of negatives AND positives. But the guy who rang up demanded entertainment.

I too would rather us keep going for more. But that's a preference to each of our views on how best to play. Some like Barca, some hate it.

But it's not an entertainment buisness. It's about results and the best way to make sure they keep coming. Which we both know. Baz demanded entertainment.

You're asking for concentration.

Birmingham - entertaining and lack of concentration. Threw away valuable points.

I'd have settled for a boring but controlled finish at St Andrews.

Alpha, there was probably no need for him to phone up, but I have got to say that I was disappointed with how some of the players reacted today. It is difficult when the opposition are reduced in numbers and maybe it is a mental thing with them in that situation. We excel at our ball retention and passing; for me our passing was sloppy for the last half hour. I am not entirely blaming the player making the pass as some of those on the receiving end were too much on their heels. 

I do expect to be entertained because we have a team that is capable of entertaining. At times in our history when we have been floundering I have not really expected to be entertained.

Like you Alpha, I am sick of some of the bell ends that our good position has brought back to Pride Park (as it was the last time they came out).

'**** of Johnny Russell' literally 30 seconds before he scored

'Stop waving your ******* arms around Bryson and get in the game'

'Learn how to pass the ******* ball Hughes'

Neber thought I would say this but I much preferred 'booooo Clough out' and '**** off back to non league Buxton'

For the people who go on about our fantastic support...wake up!

Like you Alpha, I am sick of some of the bell ends that our good position has brought back to Pride Park (as it was the last time they came out).

'**** of Johnny Russell' literally 30 seconds before he scored

'Stop waving your ******* arms around Bryson and get in the game'

'Learn how to pass the ******* ball Hughes'

Neber thought I would say this but I much preferred 'booooo Clough out' and '**** off back to non league Buxton'

For the people who go on about our fantastic support...wake up!

And the **** who sat next to me was one of those phuckers who jiggles his bloody leg up and down all the time.

Didn't hear it, but, we wasn't good enough today. 

I guess, as Alpha said, we could have been leaving a little in the tank. But, I understood why people left early, the last 15 minutes was a training session, not a competitive football match.

I mean, we must have broke the record for the amount of passes in a Championship game today - 729. That's 100 higher than I can remember seeing this season, staggering really.

Richard Keogh made 85 passes today - that's telling. It's certainly our highest of the season, without looking elsewhere, it's probably the highest from any player all season in the Championship. 

If we put in a good win against Doncaster on Friday, I'll be more understanding. However, I think at this point in the season, we need to be showing a bit more cutting edge, not an exhibition like performance.

Huddersfield self-destructed today, which certainly helped the scoreline. 

For me, the job was done. Huddersfield shut up shop and went for damage limitation. 3 points were in the bag. Goal difference won't change anything for us - so why over exert ourselves?

No problem with that viewpoint at all, but then when for the last 25 minutes when the team had clearly said 'job done, shut up shop and kill the game' why shouldn't the fans do exactly the same and leave early? Why shouldn't they say 'job done, shop is shut, let's call it a day?' It was so blatant that there was little or no attempt to go forward at all, even I nearly left with a couple of minutes to go, and that's unheard of. I really don't like it when fans leave early, particularly when the outcome of the game could still change, but that wasn't the case yesterday. I can't really recall a game like it.

What that mindset and attitude led to was players switching off because they thought the job was done. That led to sloppy play, which almost let Adam Clayton in with five to go. Had they scored that would have been down to derby giving the ball away two or three times in a matter of moments.

Alpha can't compare this or the Birmingham game, when we were away from home against 11 men who still were trying to get something from the game. This was a ridiculous situation when we're at home and just have the ball all the time, attack v defence.

As for Baz, yes he was a tool but the way radio derby handled him was a disgrace. First they just shouted over him because they didn't like what he was saying, then when they couldn't do that just cut him off. They might not agree with him (and who cares if they do or don't) but they should let him make his point. Ramage's 'I'm not having doom and gloom so I'm not going to listen' (even though I got the sense from callers RD had been having a pop at derby's play?) showed him up to be a thick **** who can't think enough to have an intelligent debate.

Here's my take on it.

The lads on the pitch were playing pretty well, the fans singing alond and having a great time.

Our South West Corner was getting pretty vocal too :)

Then after we went 3-1 up and they were reduced to 9 men, our guys took the foot off the gas.

The atmosphere died, only fans singing were the Udders, yet only 10 minutes earlier we were rocking.

I'm happy with the points, but Jeezus H Christ with only a little more effort we could have slaughtered

them.

Short drive down to Donny for me next Friday, be a real shame if we don't sell out.

What that mindset and attitude led to was players switching off because they thought the job was done. That led to sloppy play, which almost let Adam Clayton in with five to go. Had they scored that would have been down to derby giving the ball away two or three times in a matter of moments.

I saw it that if Huddersfield sat back, we'd let them do so and play the game out, but have plenty to spare to snuff out any possession should they manage to get the ball.

I admit it wasn't pretty, but at least we weren't punting the ball into the corners and playing down the clock!

If people wished to leave at that point, they are welcome to do so.

Bamford missed two sitters, so did Keogh, i'm not counting the keepers saves late on here, Bamfords 2 and one of Keogh's were first half against 11 men. The reason we didn't win 6 or 7 is down to abysmal finishing not a few mis-placed passes in the last 20 minutes.

Job done, saw the game out comfortably with no injuries. Lets save the heroics for Wembley!

Archived