Bamford? or Sammon? Up front v Millwall?

Mostyn6

Martin's deputy.  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so in summary, people still want effort over results?

WOW, I'd hoped we'd shaken off this mentality now we've changed manager. I'm shocked! At a point in our season where we need results, people want someone who barely influences a result!

AMAZING!!

Some people look at the picture without resorting to using polarising lenses. It's not about picking someone who might score - it's about picking someone whose net contribution is that the team is more likely to score.

I daresay now that your retort will be "It didn't seem to help yesterday" - to which I will reply "I know who didn't go".

See? I've saved us a whole conversation.

Don't know why people are suggesting a change of formation, bad enough not having our focal point of attack. Think SM will try keep things as similar as possible and put Sammon up top as direct repalcement.

Unsure on who he would play out wide, personally would go for Russell and Ward. Would also bring back Bryson to the starting line up for Eustace.  

Dawks and Russell were disapointing yesterday. Sammon, Ward and Bamford for me

I think the conditions for those two yesterday were poor though, they never really had much of a chance to get at Burnley and didn't have much support. However, our worst spell of football (attractiveness wise) recently has come with Bamford and Ward on the wings while our best spell of football (Bournemouth second-half has come with Dawkins and Russell on the wings.

Russkins all the way.

If we play Bamford or Russell up top we will have to change our entire style of play as neither can hold the ball up and bring others into play like Martin can. Can't see the manager doing that, so Sammon it is.

Apparently Bamford can hold onto the ball and wait on support quite well according to MK fans.

Yeah, I don't believe it either.

I'd start  Dawkins    Ward     Russell.          Ward has been ineffective recently out-wide; i would like to see him recapture his form and this is a great opportunity in a position that he (normally) plays well in. He was best last season when playing in a more forward role.

This is the problem. If we want to play the same shape/style we don't have a direct replacement for Martin. The more I think about it the more indecisive I am. Sammon would give the physicality to combat Millwall's CB's. But Bamford's all round play is better however Bamford would be easily be muscled out. 

It's not as easy as saying talent (Bamford) over effort (Sammon). As we know in this league natural talent does not always succeed against brute force. I wonder if it's worth a system and style change, playing 2 up front as we have no player who can hold the ball up. 

I've voted for Bamford, cos as much as people say he goes missing, that's because we've never plate him in his natural position. Yet he's still stuck them in. I'd love to see what he can do in his natural position.

Having said that, there's a lot to be said for playing Sammon there too. Better target man. So probably a case of trying them both at different points.

To be fair they've both played wide at various points, so you could have them both start, and swap positions. Maybe? No. I'll get my coat.

This is the problem. If we want to play the same shape/style we don't have a direct replacement for Martin. The more I think about it the more indecisive I am. Sammon would give the physicality to combat Millwall's CB's. But Bamford's all round play is better however Bamford would be easily be muscled out. 

It's not as easy as saying talent (Bamford) over effort (Sammon). As we know in this league natural talent does not always succeed against brute force. I wonder if it's worth a system and style change, playing 2 up front as we have no player who can hold the ball up. 

This is the dilemma, do you play the best players or the best team? Its not necessarily the same!

The object is to win the game so the manager will have to decide which group of available players gives him the best chance of winning that game.

This is where Mac earns his corn by running through the options on the training ground before making his decision.

I can make the decision whilst running through the options of what to have for breakfast!

so in summary, people still want effort over results?

WOW, I'd hoped we'd shaken off this mentality now we've changed manager. I'm shocked! At a point in our season where we need results, people want someone who barely influences a result!

AMAZING!!

This is such a blinkered view mostyn and I usually respect your posts and enjoy reading them. If you believe Bamford is better then that's fine - if you believe he should play that's also fine. What isn't fine is you questioning the mentality of fans who disagree with you - that isn't okay.

I was a massive fan of Heskey in the England team. England always played better when he was a foil.

Sammon has come off the bench, fed off scraps and scored a couple of very important goals. I'd go for him because of this.

I do agree with the point you stress in many other articles about not rating players on their secondary duties ie fullbacks on attacking, wingers on defending etc.... And I think we can afford to 'carry' Bamford when he is on the side of the front three because Eustace or Thorne should be able to come over and cover.

I think this point becomes invalid when playing centrally as part of a forward three - the central striker is there to score goals AND act as a focal point/ physical presence. Sammon provides the physical presence, Bamford provides the goals ... Unfortunately for Bamford we are capable of goals from all over the pitch however we cannot get the physical presence upfront from these other positions.

Bamford offers goals but he's not GUARANTEED to score which makes it a tough call. Even so I'm certain McClaren will edge towards Sammon though it wouldn't surprise me if he goes for something none of us have suggested!

Archived