Bamford? or Sammon? Up front v Millwall?

Mostyn6

Martin's deputy.  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Compared to the rate of ball that Martin ordinarily manages to hold up, Sammon is not a viable alternative. I don't remember much sticking at all today, and you can blame the supply to a certain extent but in truth it wasn't too dissimilar to what Martin normally gets. He seemed to miss balls that should have been winnable, when he did win them they ended up rebounding off in all different directions, and his most effective passages of play were largely just by causing an element of confusion between the Millwall defenders. 

His best moment was the backheel through to Dawkins for his chance in the second half. 

Sammon has looked decent as an impact player, and perhaps he'd be better in an attacking role other than 'target man', but as a 'target man', no. 

That being said, you can really blame today on him. We were sh1te in most areas of the pitch. There's plenty of blame to go around.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it say as much about some fairly successful managers who keep picking him. I think you are the one out of step here,

What managers are they?

League one Clough? Senile Trappatoni? Or forced apon, once only, big error Maclaren?

Compared to the rate of ball that Martin ordinarily manages to hold up, Sammon is not a viable alternative. I don't remember much sticking at all today, and you can blame the supply to a certain extent but in truth it wasn't too dissimilar to what Martin normally gets. He seemed to miss balls that should have been winnable, when he did win them they ended up rebounding off in all different directions, and his most effective passages of play were largely just by causing an element of confusion between the Millwall defenders. 

His best moment was the backheel through to Dawkins for his chance in the second half. 

Sammon has looked decent as an impact player, and perhaps he'd be better in an attacking role other than 'target man', but as a 'target man', no. 

That being said, you can really blame today on him. We were sh1te in most areas of the pitch. There's plenty of blame to go around.

I reckon if he had a strike partner such as Martin he'd probably do really well but playing as the target man who's expected to score goals and hold the ball up, he's awful  :wacko:

I reckon if he had a strike partner such as Martin he'd probably do really well but playing as the target man who's expected to score goals and hold the ball up, he's awful  :wacko:

Sadly, I agree. I don't like criticising the players, especially one who does put in the effort, but ultimately, effort only gets you so far, and Sammon clearly isn't cut out to be a target man.

Sadly, I agree. I don't like criticising the players, especially one who does put in the effort, but ultimately, effort only gets you so far, and Sammon clearly isn't cut out to be a target man.

Eh, I remember saying that about Buxton years back. "Effort is there but the talent isn't, and effort can only take you so far"

Let's not write him off completely... But I agree, today he couldn't replicate Martin- our focal point. MUST win on tuesday to bounce back. No excuses. Today was a must win too, but failing to beat Bolton would represent a real problem for us.

His crap. never looks like scoring and i'd say 50% of the goals he has scored he scuffs and that's what beats the keeper. He does well when he comes in with 20 mins to go because he works hard and chases tired defenders but i don't expect anything from him anymore. 

Archived