Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who are we, or indeed who is anyone to deny you your support of Clough? If you enjoying following his career, his successes and whatever else he may go on to achieve then no one can stop that.

I don't see why we can't all agree that the decision taken was in the best interest of all parties. Whatever Clough does at United or anywhere will not prove sacking him here was a mistake, at some clubs it just works for managers. People don't have to care what he does now, just because we aren't all singing his praises now doesn't mean we are disrespecting the job he did. Praising McClaren is not putting down Clough. The arguments about his time here have been done to death, opinions vary massively.

Which is why I find your comments to be an attempt to provoke people, in particular the ones in the match day chat, when we were battling against Burnley in a crucial match of our season, why was Clough relevant then? People want to move on, enjoy the now. I couldn't care less what Sheffield United do. I care about DCFC and them alone in football. (begs the question why am I even in this thread)

I am not saying your views or opinions are wrong or indeed telling you what to do. I am suggesting that like the video of Rush and Vicars, some subjects do not need hammering home, particularly ones that by most accounts folk are fed up of.

Have we had the song "What's Clough got to do with it"?

Which is why I find your comments to be an attempt to provoke people, in particular the ones in the match day chat, when we were battling against Burnley in a crucial match of our season, why was Clough relevant then? People want to move on, enjoy the now. I couldn't care less what Sheffield United do. I care about DCFC and them alone in football. (begs the question why am I even in this thread)

You may have lost me here. What comments were these?

I don't recall making any reference to Clough during any game this season.

The fans do seem to like him there.

By and large the fans liked Clough at Derby too though. Let's face it, there was almost a revolt when Clough was giving his marching orders. This forum certainly doesn't reflect the majority of the Derby fans views.

WHAT?!

Afraid you are so wide of the mark there.

I know people who think that it was poorly timed and handled but I could probably count on one hand how many people think it was the wrong decision.

This is a forum and views will be very wide ranging, surely that is the whole point of a forum. How you can say this doesn't reflect the views of the 'majority of Derby fans views' is beyond me. How many Derby fans do you know exactly?

The fans do seem to like him there.

By and large the fans liked Clough at Derby too though. Let's face it, there was almost a revolt when Clough was giving his marching orders. This forum certainly doesn't reflect the majority of the Derby fans views.

Who's speculating now? 

There was no such thing. Some people were unhappy at the decision, some had mixed opinions and some were pleased he went. 

If you think there was "almost a revolt" then your very much mistaken and I doubt you have any real knowledge of what happens on the ground with this club or it's fans. There was certainly so sense of revolt at the Ipswich match, anything but. 

WHAT?!

Afraid you are so wide of the mark there.

I know people who think that it was poorly timed and handled but I could probably count on one hand how many people think it was the wrong decision.

This is a forum and views will be very wide ranging, surely that is the whole point of a forum. How you can say this doesn't reflect the views of the 'majority of Derby fans views' is beyond me. How many Derby fans do you know exactly?

You must have large hands than. 

Even Colin Gibson asked Rush whether he was surprised at the amount of fans that were so pro Clough when he let him go.

My opinion is that the majority of Derby fans were supportive of Clough and realised the job he was trying to do and what he was up against. 

I am also of he opinion that the more fickle, a little wet behind the ears and rather naive fans (of which there are many on this forum) were anti Clough. Read into that what you will.

My opinion is neither right nor wrong. It is an opinion. 

Who's speculating now? 

There was no such thing. Some people were unhappy at the decision, some had mixed opinions and some were pleased he went. 

If you think there was "almost a revolt" then your very much mistaken and I doubt you have any real knowledge of what happens on the ground with this club or it's fans. There was certainly so sense of revolt at the Ipswich match, anything but. 

There was nearly a revolt in our house, and the Memsahib seriously wanted to slap Sam Rush in the face. Life became somewhat strained as she then walked out at half time during the Ipswich game in tears and went to get an early coffee at the Travelodge. What was I to do? Support the wife? Best part of 40 years of wedded bliss on the line here.

I'll tell you what I did. I stayed and watched the bloody game and witnessed a remarkable comeback.

You must have large hands than. 

Even Colin Gibson asked Rush whether he was surprised at the amount of fans that were so pro Clough when he let him go.

My opinion is that the majority of Derby fans were supportive of Clough and realised the job he was trying to do and what he was up against. 

I am also of he opinion that the more fickle, a little wet behind the ears and rather naive fans (of which there are many on this forum) were anti Clough. Read into that what you will.

My opinion is neither right nor wrong. It is an opinion. 

Just because people were 'pro Clough', and I include myself in that category, it does not mean that they think sacking him was the wrong decision.

Your opinion could be construed as wrong when you claim it is representative of the majority of fans though.

Just because people were 'pro Clough', and I include myself in that category, it does not mean that they think sacking him was the wrong decision.

Your opinion could be construed as wrong when you claim it is representative of the majority of fans though.

If course my opinion can be construed as wrong as can anyone's.

I do find it a little strange that someone can support a manager but then in the same breath also support him losing the job that said supporter is supposed to be supportive of.

That's a little disingenuous.

I do find it a little strange that someone can support a manager but then in the same breath also support him losing the job that said supporter is supposed to be supportive of.

Little flaw in your argument, did you support every other manager that's been here?

Not really. Whilst HERE, any player or manager is representing Derby County and you must surely want that player or manager to succeed. Did I want Jason Shackell to be on a winning side last week? NO! Of course not, he's no longer representing my club, but 2 years ago I did.

If somehow we play Sheff United in a competitive match, and Nigel Clough is manager of them, will I want him to be a winning manager? No, of course not! I wanted him to be a winning manager in the almost 5 years he was here. Sadly though, he was a loser more often than a winner.

I believe Nigel did a very good job at stabilising the ship.

I think he had us playing good football at times.

I thought he made some very shrewd signings.

I also think he had his flaws.

I don't believe he could have taken us any further than he did without the serious backing of the board, which I don't ever think was going to happen.

I therefore thought it was best for all parties involved that Nigel was moved on.

Have you guys watched the 10 min interview with Mac over on BBC Sport? It's a good watch/listen, and Schteve touches upon the idea that different clubs can be good fits for different managers at different times. It's almost like a "perfect storm" for success. 

Derby has worked out a great fit for Mac and vice versa, hence the current wave of success. 

The way I see it, it's probably the same for SUFC and Clough. Things are working out well for him there, and 8 wins on the bounce is as good an achievement for him, as our winning streak was/is for McClaren. Sure, at the time Clough probably felt very disappointed of how things ended at Derby, but I'm sure if things keep going as well as they are for him then in the long run he'll see it as a huge positive. 

So in the end, Derby fans are happy, the Mac is happy, SUFC fans are happy and Clough is happy. Win/win all round, especially if both clubs get promoted.

Archived