Blackburn Rovers v Derby County

sage

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my way back from match now. First half was a cautious, frustrating affair. Didn't look like scoring but were strong defensively.

Second half still looked a little pedestrian until Blackburn scored - gave us a kick up the arse to be honest. Once the subs came on it was all Derby. Shame the game finished when it did - we were close to a winning goal.

Personally feel Ward looked a touch lost at time. Made a big difference when Sammon & Bamford came on. Hughes was excellent.

I'd be inclined to change the whole front 3 for Tuesday. Ward, Martin and Dawkins could all do with a rest / wake-up call. Give Russell, Sammon and Bamford a start, there's enough quality in that front 3 to beat Yeovil and get the momentum back in our favour. Bamford in particular has done enough to warrant a starting place and I think Martin could do with a bit of a rest, he's played a hell of a lot and could do with a refresh.

1-1 is a good result though, I'd have taken that today.

I agree with Bamford for Martin, wouldnt change anyone else thou, not at the same time anyway, as worried

this might disrupt our momentum/flow. Russell for Ward at halftime?

Ok - we all can see that JCB is a threat going forward.

But can anyone who was at the game today (and i know he didn't play anywhere near the full game) say how he is in terms of his defensive duties ? If we ARE thinking of replacing Ward with him then JCB will need to do a lot of tracking back.

Incidentally I watched the whole Brighton game thru again and the folks show were knocking Wardy for not doing his defensive duties are totally off the mark. The vid doesn't lie - he was tracking back and running more than most.

NB I am not a fan of one more than the other, just bringing some objectivity to this debate about Ward and his lack of defensive discipline.

Ok - we all can see that JCB is a threat going forward.

But can anyone who was at the game today (and i know he didn't play anywhere near the full game) say how he is in terms of his defensive duties ? If we ARE thinking of replacing Ward with him then JCB will need to do a lot of tracking back.

Incidentally I watched the whole Brighton game thru again and the folks show were knocking Wardy for not doing his defensive duties are totally off the mark. The vid doesn't lie - he was tracking back and running more than most.

NB I am not a fan of one more than the other, just bringing some objectivity to this debate about Ward and his lack of defensive discipline.

I went Cayman, and you are right. Bamford is both young and a striker. He wants to score goals. Which is great for us at the moment because he has gained us 3/4 points. But his weakness is that he keeps wandering into the middle leaving the right side and therefore exposing Wisdom. On more than one occasion this afternoon Wisdom had to turn back because he had no one to pass to.

Bamford will learn the position but its probably too much to put him on from the beginning - better at the moment to have him on when the defence is tiring, when we need a goal.

I thought both Wardy and Dawkins were better today. Dawkins especially.

I'd definatley like to see Bamford come in for Martin against Yeovil. We needed Martin today against a very physical Blackburn team, yes he didnt do all that much but we needed his physical presence i think Bamford would have been bullied if he'd started. However Yeovil are a completely different team, not many units if any in their team and i think Bamford would have a field day if he started against them 

I'd definatley like to see Bamford come in for Martin against Yeovil. We needed Martin today against a very physical Blackburn team, yes he didnt do all that much but we needed his physical presence i think Bamford would have been bullied if he'd started. However Yeovil are a completely different team, not many units if any in their team and i think Bamford would have a field day if he started against them 

Yes I agree. I think it's time to introduce some competition to what is seen as our first eleven. I'd also use the game to give Johnny Russell a game in place of either Ward or Dawkins. Whilst SM has done an amazing job, I feel we are a little predictable and are being worked out by some of the better teams in the division.

Sounds like Hughes played well when he came on. If Bamford doesn't play instead of Ward on Tuesday then a criminal investigation will take place.

Says the bloke who wasn't there.

Archived