Steve McClaren

Day

I'm not sure the point of this thread. But I used to get all distressed by posters defending the continued employment of the previous manager on the grounds that "nobody else would want to work under these conditions", I think that right now, before a transfer window, the replacement manager is working under the same conditions and proving that theory wrong.

This is the crux of the matter. We brought three more players in. Was that money available to Clough. Clough implied not, Rush says yes. Wisdom has made a big difference to us.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking good so far, positivity from the management team, players and fans. The January transfer window will be interesting, then we'll see if the owners / board are going to back this regime more than the last.

I particularly like McClaren's appointment of Simpson. Could it be as positive a move as Smith's appointment of McClaren in 1995?

This is the crux of the matter. We brought three more players in. Was that money available to Clough. Clough implied not, Rush says yes. Wisdom has made a big difference to us.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Aston-Villa-s-Marc-Albrighton-Derby-County-s-loan/story-19781773-detail/story.html

In this link Clough talks about bringing one or two loans in. So there must have been more money available to him as he would not be making the enquires. Albrighton did not come in as he got injured just before he was due to come to us, a deal was in place. 

Steve Mac is also on record as saying that there is only room in the budget for one more player which suggests he is working to very similar restrictions. 

Interestingly when looking through Clough's comments on the loan situation he kept remarking upon how there were very few players available that would improve us. Strange!

I'm not sure the point of this thread. But I used to get all distressed by posters defending the continued employment of the previous manager on the grounds that "nobody else would want to work under these conditions", I think that right now, before a transfer window, the replacement manager is working under the same conditions and proving that theory wrong.

To be fair to Clough (at the risk of incurring the wrath if certain parties), I think that was probably true of the last few seasons. Only at the start of this season did we show real signs of having a truly desirable squad with real potential. Just needed a new manager to introduce a few new ideas, shake things up a bit and take us to the next level.

I think Clough played a massive role in turning us into a club that someone like Schteve would want to come to.

I don't think it could have happened any other way. Clough did what was asked of him and did it well in difficult circumstances. Now it's the right time, and Schteve's doing what has been asked of him and I'm very excited.

It was all meant to be.

I was a big fan of clough but I feel he was his own worst enemy.

he was a little stubborn and in the end it probabbly got him the sack ):

I dont think the situations are the same though, as i reckon the ex england manager and ex man u goalkeeping coach plus a new role in the dof cost a lot more than clough and co.

The player buying/loaning situations seems to have freed up a bit to but like I said that could be down to cloughs stubborness.

I am very pleased with our StevieMac though, I did have my doubts but like the last poster wrote the simo signing seems very inspired and we are on the up lads (: eieieio!

I like the way he refers to having inherited such a great squad of players as well.

I always felt frustrated that we always seemed to need to get to the next transfer window and get a load of new players in too. Clough bought in some very good players at this level, and I feel his coaching setup let those players down and led us to believe they weren't good enough.

I'll never fully warm to him but there's no arguing with the start he's made.

There's a real positive feeling around and he's given himself a brilliant platform to build from. If he spends well in January I think we've in for a cracking end to the season

My main concern was how the players would react to the change and so far all noises coming from anywhere are that they're really buzzing, so that's good enough for me.

We're really looking like staying in amongst the challengers and that's a really nice place to be for a change.

I bet you do

Mac has had the chance to bring new players in that Nige may/may not have had.

We're undoubtedly playing better stuff, but also with a slightly better team.

Very encouraged from what I've seen so far, and it's dragging on a bit too long to be new manager syndrome now...

Mac has had the chance to bring new players in that Nige may/may not have had.

We're undoubtedly playing better stuff, but also with a slightly better team.

Very encouraged from what I've seen so far, and it's dragging on a bit too long to be new manager syndrome now...

Hold on mate Clough bought players early doors, who has McClaren bought ?

I'm pleased McClaren has stuck with the bulk of Clough's players. True, he's limited in what he can chop and change, but it would've been easy to drop certain players for swish premier loans. I always felt the team Clough assembled had it in them to be top 6 material, but the manager himself plainly struggled at getting them to perform consistently. 

I'm still a little worried at the type of players McClaren will bring in long-term - if Forest is anything to go buy, he likes to buy expensive out-of-favour sorts from the Premier League rather than mining the lower leagues for quality. I personally feel the latter is the better approach for long-term success. 

I also think bringing in Paul Simpson alongside him was a classy move (regardless of who made that decision).

Er Wisdom, Cisse & Dawkins...  Technically he's brought them in not bought them in.  Do we think Nigel would've been monitoring all three???  Who knows, I think one of Nigel's shortcomings is that he thought too small when casting his net for potential signings...

Er Wisdom, Cisse & Dawkins...  Technically he's brought them in not bought them in.  Do we think Nigel would've been monitoring all three???  Who knows, I think one of Nigel's shortcomings is that he thought too small when casting his net for potential signings...

No mate they are loans .

Already answered for me by Ramsbottom.

I'm sure we will be contributing to their wages, and no one knows if the owners would have backed Nige with the money, so I'm not speculating.

It's not a point scoring exercise. I think McClaren is doing well, with a slightly better team, but relatively he's outperforming Nige.

Archived