Steve McClaren

Day

I'm pleased McClaren has stuck with the bulk of Clough's players. True, he's limited in what he can chop and change, but it would've been easy to drop certain players for swish premier loans. I always felt the team Clough assembled had it in them to be top 6 material, but the manager himself plainly struggled at get them performing consistently. 

I'm still a little worried at the type of players McClaren will bring in long-term - if Forest is anything to go buy, he likes to buy expensive out-of-favour sorts from the Premier League rather than mining the lower leagues for quality. I personally feel the latter is the better approach for long-term success. 

I also think bringing in Paul Simpson alongside him was a classy move (regardless of who made that decision).

January will be very interesting. Grant still looked very very shaky on crosses on Saturday. Keogh's distribution was very poor. At least I am interested in January now. I would like Mac to spread his net wider than we've been used to for the past 4 years.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already answered for me by Ramsbottom.

I'm sure we will be contributing to their wages, and no one knows if the owners would have backed Nige with the money, so I'm not speculating.

It's not a point scoring exercise. I think McClaren is doing well, with a slightly better team, but relatively he's outperforming Nige.

I'm not trying to score any points mate.

People kept saying Clough did not have this and had to do that first, but he was NEVER fully restricted, he always bought players in , on loan or otherwise, trouble is, most of them were crap.

Whether by good fortune or expertise (the later I think )McC's are pretty decent.

People kept saying Clough did not have this and had to do that first, but he was NEVER fully restricted, he always bought players in , on loan or otherwise, trouble is, most of the were crap.

Whether by good fortune or expertise (the later I think )McC's are pretty decent.

Last I'll say on this as too many threads at the moment are turning in to McClaren vs Clough debates.

Not sure what 'fully' restricted means - he was always heavily tied down financially, and often had to ship one to bring one in (lots of others are in that boat to varying degrees so it's not a sob story). Saying that most of his signings were crap indicates you either don't go to the games or have a irrational downer on everything he did, I won't speculate as to which.

I agree, McClaren's signings look good and we're a better footballing team for those signings, and for him being here too. I was simply saying no one knows whether those players would have been available to Clough.

People kept saying Clough did not have this and had to do that first, but he was NEVER fully restricted, he always bought players in , on loan or otherwise, trouble is, most of them were crap.

Just out of interest can you list the (in your opinion) crap ones???

None mate, they were all great, can not understand why we went nowhere for five years, must have been pure unadulterated bad luck.

Now, now mate.  There's no need to be like that mate.  I was merely trying to establish who out of Nigel's signings, in your mind, were below average?  I thought with being such a good mate you'd help a mate out and enlighten them with your opinion...

... mate

Now, now mate.  There's no need to be like that mate.  I was merely trying to establish who out of Nigel's signings, in your mind, were below average?  I thought with being such a good mate you'd help a mate out and enlighten them with your opinion...

... mate

Condescending *****

Anyway if you like, and no further discussion after. is a list of great players ,off the top of my head, for one reason or another, signed by NC

Dave Martin

Croft

Maguire

Hendrie

O'Connor

Tyson

Pringle

Deeney

Livermore

Stoor

Bryan Hughes

Vidal

Hunt

Doyle

Moore

Noble

Boulding

Duke

Abalima

Enjoy.

Condescending *****

Anyway if you like, and no further discussion after. is a list of great players ,off the top of my head, for one reason or another, signed by NC

Boulding

Enjoy.

Christ that list is scary.

I can recall the internet going into meltdown when we signed Boulding  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Condescending *****

Dave Martin

Croft

Maguire

Hendrie

O'Connor

Tyson

Pringle

Deeney

Livermore

Stoor

Bryan Hughes

Vidal

Hunt

Doyle

Moore

Noble

Boulding

Duke

Abalima

Enjoy.

although he was a loan , Kilbane should be on that list

Condescending *****

Dave Martin

Croft

Maguire

Hendrie

O'Connor

Tyson

Pringle

Deeney

Livermore

Stoor

Bryan Hughes

Vidal

Hunt

Doyle

Moore

Noble

Boulding

Duke

Abalima

Enjoy.

I may get crucified for this, but I would argue Croft, Moore and Pringle all made positive contributions at one time or another.  

Condescending *****

Dave Martin

Croft

Maguire

Hendrie

O'Connor

Tyson

Pringle

Deeney

Livermore

Stoor

Bryan Hughes

Vidal

Hunt

Doyle

Moore

Noble

Boulding

Duke

Abalima

Enjoy.

Come on Smiffy, no need for that!  We're all mates here... :lol:

Admittedly that is a pretty poor list.  Bit harsh on Dave Martin as he never got a fair crack at the whip due to change of tactics.

Balancing that out with a list of good signings -

Bryson

Fielding

Legolas

Shackell

Keogh

Buxton

Brayford

Bailey

B Davies

Bueno

Russell

Ward

Roberts

Martin

If you look at any manager's signings, their recruitment success rate is no better than 60%, especially in this day & age of big squads. 

And no, before you say it, I'm not a Clough apologist.  I belive he did the job that was required of him but certain limitations were keeping us from progressing to the next level.

For the sake of staying on topic, at the moment I am certainly pro Schteve...

Come on Smiffy, no need for that!  We're all mates here... :lol:

Admittedly that is a pretty poor list.  Bit harsh on Dave Martin as he never got a fair crack at the whip due to change of tactics.

Balancing that out with a list of good signings -

Bryson

Fielding

Legolas

Shackell

Keogh

Buxton

Brayford

Bailey

B Davies

Bueno

Russell

Ward

Roberts

Martin

If you look at any manager's signings, their recruitment success rate is no better than 60%, especially in this day & age of big squads. 

And no, before you say it, I'm not a Clough apologist.  I belive he did the job that was required of him but certain limitations were keeping us from progressing to the next level.

For the sake of staying on topic, at the moment I am certainly pro Schteve...

Before I get crucified, yes i forgot Barker...

Archived