Steve McClaren

Day

By pyschologist... i meant... growing the self confidence of the players, and having the mentality to go forward without the need for more numbers in defence, or trying to keep it in the corner with 6 whole minutes to go!

Heres two scenarios for you:

leicester away in the cup derby are leading, but leicester are coming back into it.

Nigel puts on an extra defender, draws the opposition onto us... not only do we concede an equaliser, but a winner for them too.

maccas in charge watford away, we have taken the lead twice to be pegged back twice at 2-2, whereas nigel would have tryed top protect his point and probably lost it.... macca brings on an extra forward in salmon, and we win 3-2 !

Tbf, At Watford, Macca admitted that his instinct was to consolidate - Simmo told him to go for it! 

Steve himself is quite defensively minded at heart but i think the blend of him, Simmo and Eric works well. Steve obviously knows and trusts those two and is intelligent enough use their nous and experience.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbf, At Watford, Macca admitted that his instinct was to consolidate - Simmo told him to go for it! 

Steve himself is quite defensively minded at heart but i think the blend of him, Simmo and Eric works well. Steve obviously knows and trusts those two and is intelligent enough use their nous and experience.

Danny Mills said on Match of the Day 2 last night "Steve McClaren was the best defensive coach I've worked with" or something to that affect - Word, Danny. Word.

Danny Mills said on Match of the Day 2 last night "Steve McClaren was the best defensive coach I've worked with" or something to that affect - Word, Danny. Word.

Yep, saw that. it was quite interesting how Mills explained that Macca would analyse defensive mistakes then spend the first hour of training going over them with the players.

Our back four have tightened up, were not giving easy chances or goals away.

Yep, saw that. it was quite interesting how Mills explained that Macca would analyse defensive mistakes then spend the first hour of training going over them with the players.

Our back four have tightened up, were not giving easy chances or goals away.

Tis lovely stuff eh wot :lol:

Some great quotes from Steve in today's Mirror

"I don't see the need to do much business in January, the squad is good and strong and as long as we keep everybody fit that is the key. It doesn't need much tinkering"

"I am enjoying it, mainly though seeing Derby fans on a day like Saturday after travelling away to see their team win. I have an affinity with them, the club and Derby itself as a place"

:wub:

"I don't see the need to do much business in January, the squad is good and strong and as long as we keep everybody fit that is the key. It doesn't need much tinkering"

"I am enjoying it, mainly though seeing Derby fans on a day like Saturday after travelling away to see their team win. I have an affinity with them, the club and Derby itself as a place"

I really do love the guy.

I don't doubt he's genuine in this but he's been excellently briefed by Rush and the board, they've judged the mood around the place superbly since Nigel got sacked. Great to see attendances rising and the fans looking forward to matches again! Fair play to them, everything is coming together nicely.

Archived