Yeovil Town v Derby County

Alph

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, back from the game - I'll be honest, for a 3-0 win. It wasn't exactly a dominant one and they had thorns in our side.

First of all, I'll do my ratings, although this are all up debate it was hard to see the other end of the pitch and all in all I could be giving someone too much credit (for instance thinking that was a good cross when it wasn't, depth perception isn't the best)

Lee Grant - 7 - very good performance, although truth be told had very little to do, made one very good save and distribution was good. Deserved his first league clean sheet.

Craig Forsyth - 4 - Was poor, again - sorry to say. I thought the winger was very good for yeovil and had him all ends up, distribution was poor, but did put some dangerous balls in the box that just weren't attacked.

Jake Buxton - 6 - Distribution was very bad today, and initially thought he had a below par game but in all honesty, he had a lot to do because of Forsyths incompetencies and defended the near post well. Very solid defensively all game, but expect nothing more.

Richard Keogh - 8 - very good game and much improved - very good play for our first goal, great movement. Very good defensively, and distribution wasn't bad. Better than normal anyway.

Kieron Freeman - 7 - another very impressive game, very good going forward - showed his raw ability late on with lovely inter-play with coutts and defensively sound.

Craig Bryson - 5 - took his goal very well, and fair play but couldn't help but feel he could of offered more in terms of positive play - did move, and chase down well but just look illusive to me, for the most part.

Jeff Hendrick - 7 - the better out of the 3 midfielders, on the ball he has so much ability and if he showed it a bit more he would be a much higher grade than he currently is at, and today was no different - everything he had to do, did with class.. but often should have been grafting that bit harder for me.

Will Hughes - 6 - talented performance, I felt he was a bit hurried and rushed at time - but, you know for the most part he will play smart, clever football and use the ball to our advantage and he did very well today.

Jamie Ward - 7 - very strong performance, great ability could see it a mile off - unlucky not to score, and was a constant threat.

Chris Martin - 7 - went down a lot, but it's hard to tell whether it's because he is forced to, or chooses to from where we are. Very smart for following up the shot and scored very well, hold up play and quality was there or thereabouts to his usual standard.

Johnny Russell - 8 MOTM - did very well today, looked very sharp - did some very good things, and looked a quality player - at times messed up his own work by himself but what a great finish for his goal.

Coutts, Sammon and Eustace all had a positive reaction when coming on, and nothing bad can really be said - Sammon perhaps should have scored his chance, but was very positive in his play at all times.

Overall MOTM was Luke Ayling, who looks like a very gifted footballer - I like him a lot. 

No need to antagonise! Whilst I accept you are only as good as your last game, you shouldn't rewrite history or pretend things weren't the way they actually were. I'll get over the Blackburn game, but I'm not going to pretend that I wasn't unhappy. On the flip-side, just cos our Premier League season was a disaster, I don't pretend I wasn't actually crying tears of joy at Wembley and why should I?

As it happens, today sounds a really good and positive result, and maybe, just maybe, the start of things 'clicking' into place. Yeovil may go on to be the whipping boys, but they're no mugs and their manager is pretty good at putting a spanner in the works for the opposition.

I predicted Martin would make a contribution this season and many on here shot me down, and whilst I'd like him to stand up for a bit longer when touched by the opposition, you don't see me going to all those posters who called me clueless etc for it. Similarly, someone posted about Russell recently and I said he needs threaded passes to run onto facing goal, what happened today, exactly that.

I'm happy about today's result. In recent years, Clough would've played for 0-0, Thank you Nigel.

To sum up then: the things you were wrong about-understandable. The things you were right about-u fkin rule man

Ps its all about u

My thoughts...

Grant - 7. Safe hands, couple of great saves second half. 

Forsyth - 5. Struggling. Their winger had the beating of him and his distribution is still HOOF. 

Keogh - 7. Much better than last week, defensively solid. 

Bucko - 6. Passing was awful throughout, still did a job defensively which is his main job I suppose. 

Freeman - 7.5. Mature, solid performance. Saw some attacking intent today which was nice, he has bags of ability so I hope to see more. Keep it up. 

Bryson - 6. Busy, energetic and a nice finish for the goal. Thought he struggled to get in the game at times. 

Hendrick - 7. Very good on the ball, just needs to impose himself on the game abit more IMO. Good display up until his injury. Worked hard. 

Hughes - 7. Same as Hendrick. 

Ward - 7. Dangerous, always looking to receive the ball. Harsh on Coutts but it's hard to leave Ward out. Unlucky not to score. 

Martin - 6. Worst display so far this season yet still played relatively ok. Had a hard time with some rugby-type defending at times, nice to see him on hand to get Ward's rebound. 

Russell - 7.5. Between him and Freeman for MoTM. Best display yet, held the ball well, good first touch, ran the channels, worked hard and scored a very good goal with a good finish. I just wish we could give him abit more service, out of all our attacking plyers it was Keogh that slipped him in for the goal. 

Subs:

Eustace - 6. Solid, nothing special as expected, did a job. 

Coutts - 6. Not enough time to get fully into the game.

Sammon - 6.5. Good cameo, relieved the pressure with his running and gave us an outlet different to the 2 strikers starting. Should have scored, if he wants to put a case forward to start a match he has to be putting chances like that away or he's not going to get anywhere near whilst the current 2 are in the goals. 

A comfortable performance where I thought we rarely got out of second gear. Abit of quality for the goals but other than that there wasn't too much to talk about. Nice passing at times but also some very poor distribution, notably Bucko and Forsyth today. 

Yeovil didn't really trouble us, a 15 minute spell in the second half where they had a couple of corners and a penalty shout was about the best they mustered up. Nice to see us ease to such a victory. 

One thing I've noticed from previous comments that I'd like to point out, we didn't sit back at 3-0. I said this the other week but there's a massive difference between sitting back and being under the cosh. At half time I said to Ambitious I hope we don't sit back on this as these are here for the taking, thankfully we didn't. Could easily have been 5-0 after Ward and Sammon's 1v1 chances. There was that period of pressure we had to withstand (and did quite comfortably) which will always happen away from home. After that was out the way it was plain sailing. 

Right, back from the game - I'll be honest, for a 3-0 win. It wasn't exactly a dominant one and they had thorns in our side.

First of all, I'll do my ratings, although this are all up debate it was hard to see the other end of the pitch and all in all I could be giving someone too much credit (for instance thinking that was a good cross when it wasn't, depth perception isn't the best)

Lee Grant - 7 - very good performance, although truth be told had very little to do, made one very good save and distribution was good. Deserved his first league clean sheet.

Craig Forsyth - 4 - Was poor, again - sorry to say. I thought the winger was very good for yeovil and had him all ends up, distribution was poor, but did put some dangerous balls in the box that just weren't attacked.

Jake Buxton - 6 - Distribution was very bad today, and initially thought he had a below par game but in all honesty, he had a lot to do because of Forsyths incompetencies and defended the near post well. Very solid defensively all game, but expect nothing more.

Richard Keogh - 8 - very good game and much improved - very good play for our first goal, great movement. Very good defensively, and distribution wasn't bad. Better than normal anyway.

Kieron Freeman - 7 - another very impressive game, very good going forward - showed his raw ability late on with lovely inter-play with coutts and defensively sound.

Craig Bryson - 5 - took his goal very well, and fair play but couldn't help but feel he could of offered more in terms of positive play - did move, and chase down well but just look illusive to me, for the most part.

Jeff Hendrick - 7 - the better out of the 3 midfielders, on the ball he has so much ability and if he showed it a bit more he would be a much higher grade than he currently is at, and today was no different - everything he had to do, did with class.. but often should have been grafting that bit harder for me.

Will Hughes - 6 - talented performance, I felt he was a bit hurried and rushed at time - but, you know for the most part he will play smart, clever football and use the ball to our advantage and he did very well today.

Jamie Ward - 7 - very strong performance, great ability could see it a mile off - unlucky not to score, and was a constant threat.

Chris Martin - 7 - went down a lot, but it's hard to tell whether it's because he is forced to, or chooses to from where we are. Very smart for following up the shot and scored very well, hold up play and quality was there or thereabouts to his usual standard.

Johnny Russell - 8 MOTM - did very well today, looked very sharp - did some very good things, and looked a quality player - at times messed up his own work by himself but what a great finish for his goal.

Coutts, Sammon and Eustace all had a positive reaction when coming on, and nothing bad can really be said - Sammon perhaps should have scored his chance, but was very positive in his play at all times.

Overall MOTM was Luke Ayling, who looks like a very gifted footballer - I like him a lot.

bryson 5?...... Ha ha ha ur clueless

Any one else who went with a report? Mr Tibbs and Ambitious clearly stood next to each other and have the same opinion, even down to the Forsyth vendetta.

i did, can't be arsed with a detailed one but I thought everybody had a steady 6 + performance with Forsyth the only one really getting caught out by Yeovil a couple of times. Hendrick, Russell, Ward, Keogh, Freeman and Hughes all had good/very good games as well. But without getting too excited, they never threatened us until we were 3-0 up and still didnt get a good clear chance on goal either. As good as we seemed they were just as poor, but all in all a great solid performance! I pretty much agree with Ambitious' ratings other than slightly harsh on Forsyth but if you had to pick the poorest player for us, it would have been him.

Archived