Grant Forsyth Baptiste Whitehead Burke Martin Vaughan

sage

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forest are an interesting comparison as ever; organised, physical and have experienced Championship players throughout.

They haven't got anyone has good as Hughes, I wouldn't swap any of their full backs for Brayford, and I would imagine Hendrick will go further in the game than any of their midfield have got. Team on team, we've matched them up over 3 hours football.

We've copped an injury or two and had to rely on kids. What florist have got that's given them the extra 10 points this season is strength in depth (mostly on loan) . These proposed signings would add that to our squad, and a touch more quality besides.

3 of those players are seriously average for this league that should they join anyone within the top half they wouldn't make the slightest bit of improvement IMO..

They're not world beaters but I'd say they'd be an improvement on what Forest have already got (bar Vaughan, but he'd give them a pacey option)..  

Forest are an interesting comparison as ever; organised, physical and have experienced Championship players throughout.

They haven't got anyone has good as Hughes, I wouldn't swap any of their full backs for Brayford, and I would imagine Hendrick will go further in the game than any of their midfield have got. Team on team, we've matched them up over 3 hours football.

We've copped an injury or two and had to rely on kids. What florist have got that's given them the extra 10 points this season is strength in depth (mostly on loan) . These proposed signings would add that to our squad, and a touch more quality besides.

If we'd had say, Burke, Vaughan, Whitehead and Baptiste this season we'd be booking our hotels and buses for Wembley at least, or already paying membership fees (on top of Season Tickets), to ensure away tickets for next season, at best!

The only problems are who we have to lose to get them and whether we actually do get them. 

Not cos they're world beaters but the overall strength to the squad would have put us pretty close this season.

Its all academic, speculation, guesswork, poor journalism and agents pushing for the best commission they can squeeze out of it.

Whithead - 9/10 - just the player we need, think he'll go to the premier league but he would be a fantastic solution to our midfield problem.

Burke - 8/10 - has proven himself as one of the best midfielders in the division for the past 4/5 years, lots of goals and assists, good experience and very good ability. 

Vaughan - 7/10 - Nearly scored 1 in every 2 games this season, has good ability - ability that wouldn't look out of place in the premier league, especially his all round play. I do understand his injury past, and any signing with that sort of pass is coming as a gamble. 

Baptiste - 8/10 - Was one of the best defenders in the division, and has been blackpools captain this season, a really athletic, good defender and never really hear bad things about him. 

Grant - 7/10 - Would be a good signing, and that much is a given - but I just don't think he would be good value for money, with what we already have being good enough.

Martin - 6/10 - Has good ability, a big physical presence and a good footballing brain, but he needs a big pre-season.. a lot of training, especially on fitness and match sharpness. We haven't seen anything close to his best, and if he signs i'll be holding on to that hope.

Forsyth - 6/10 - I think he is good, an okay player at this level anyway. I don't see him having the quality to really push us on, but what he does have is a good defensive brain, and on occasion the ability to put a good ball into the box. 

51/70

7.2/10 

which seems fair, enough to push us on.. hmmm, certainly gives us a better chance but there is no guarantees in this game.

Well perhaps people SHOULD actually read what I've written instead of putting words in my mouth or twisting what I've said and then having a dig at me for it!

If people actually did read what you've written we'd be inundated with reports of abuse.

Quit while you're ahead. :p

I can't understand why people think whitehead would be a bad signing at all, our biggest problem at times this season is being cut through centre midfield, despite having the talent there and we do in abundance we don't have a physical presence, Hendrick is the current person to track runners and put his foot in, but he isn't the best at it. I would say all our midfielders (centre) are fantastic players on the ball, but not very good off it. 

The only problems are who we have to lose to get them and whether we actually do get them. 

You beat me too it, the chances of us getting all of the players mentioned is pretty low and the chances of us getting all of the players in and not weakening our squad elsewhere to facilitate this is miniscule. 

Speculating on signings is all very well but who will Clough have to sell to allow the signings to be made?

We are pretty flat 11/12 12th vs 12/13 13th largely because players brought in last year were funded by players going out e.g. Shackell, Davies, Green. The equivalent this Summer would be losing Keogh, Ward and Bryson to fund bringing in our targets.

Will the owners / board finally change strategy and allow a bit of progress?

Whithead - 9/10 - just the player we need, think he'll go to the premier league but he would be a fantastic solution to our midfield problem.

Burke - 8/10 - has proven himself as one of the best midfielders in the division for the past 4/5 years, lots of goals and assists, good experience and very good ability. 

Vaughan - 7/10 - Nearly scored 1 in every 2 games this season, has good ability - ability that wouldn't look out of place in the premier league, especially his all round play. I do understand his injury past, and any signing with that sort of pass is coming as a gamble. 

Baptiste - 8/10 - Was one of the best defenders in the division, and has been blackpools captain this season, a really athletic, good defender and never really hear bad things about him. 

Grant - 7/10 - Would be a good signing, and that much is a given - but I just don't think he would be good value for money, with what we already have being good enough.

Martin - 6/10 - Has good ability, a big physical presence and a good footballing brain, but he needs a big pre-season.. a lot of training, especially on fitness and match sharpness. We haven't seen anything close to his best, and if he signs i'll be holding on to that hope.

Forsyth - 6/10 - I think he is good, an okay player at this level anyway. I don't see him having the quality to really push us on, but what he does have is a good defensive brain, and on occasion the ability to put a good ball into the box. 

51/70

7.2/10 

which seems fair, enough to push us on.. hmmm, certainly gives us a better chance but there is no guarantees in this game.

I would pretty much agree with all of this except the description of Martin as a big physical presence. In every game I saw him play, he was outmuscled by his marker and spent the time falling to the floor or moaning. His idea of physicality was petulant pushes and trips. He needs to build up his core strength and fitness so he can nip in front of defenders and then hold the ball waiting for options. Absolutely agree with your assessment of Whitehead. I think at times our more attacking players became hesitant around pushing forward because there was weakness behind them. Whitehead gives that strong base and is also a threat in the air.

I can't understand why people think whitehead would be a bad signing at all, our biggest problem at times this season is being cut through centre midfield, despite having the talent there and we do in abundance we don't have a physical presence, Hendrick is the current person to track runners and put his foot in, but he isn't the best at it. I would say all our midfielders (centre) are fantastic players on the ball, but not very good off it. 

Cos I've seen him play loads of times for both Sunderland and Stoke.

To say he's physical is a bit strong as he's about 9 stone wet through. He's busy.... not much else.

Speculating on signings is all very well but who will Clough have to sell to allow the signings to be made?

We are pretty flat 11/12 12th vs 12/13 13th largely because players brought in last year were funded by players going out e.g. Shackell, Davies, Green. The equivalent this Summer would be losing Keogh, Ward and Bryson to fund bringing in our targets.

Will the owners / board finally change strategy and allow a bit of progress?

No. Fielding, Tyson, Robinson, Bailey and Ball maybe. Roberts has been let go. Maybe a couple more goalkeepers we have.

Archived