Grant Forsyth Baptiste Whitehead Burke Martin Vaughan

sage

Really hope theres a stellar signing in the pipeline.

Sam Rush said numerous times at the fan forums theres a bigger transfer kitty than previous seasons, only 900,000 been spent so far on four players and we've recouped 100,000 or so back from Fielding.

If we get a fit Dunne in, I'd be delighted. Him and Keogh in this league would be one of the best partnerships in the division.

Simply saying that it's a £900k spend doesn't tell even close to the whole story. So far we've signed Grant, Russell, Forsyth and Martin, and as anyone with even the most rudimentary understanding of transfers knows, free transfers are not free. Players who come on frees generally have larger agents fees, signing on fees and wages, and we've been through this before (back in 08-09 with Jewell's silly spending). Grant and Martin are in no way "free". Russell at £750k and Grant returning are no doubt considered the "big" signings by the club, and I'd be surprised to see us really splash any more cash from this point without significant out goings. There might be one more surprise left, but beyond Eustace I think we'll only get one or so more signings, with one probably being a defender on loan to cover Barker and O'Brien's absence.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James vaughan has gone to huddersfield.

Seems to have passed almost without comment?

Because we got our main target. We were never going to sign both, and we got the younger, cheaper and less injury prone of the two.

^this^ most likely but I think Rush is the kind of guy who has the good business sense to have another trick or two up his sleeve.

We'll see

The club might be waiting on Dunne, but the issue at centrehalf is that we lack something there right now, even though if we signed another we'd basically be swimming in centrehalves:

New

Barker

Keogh

Buxton

O'Brien

Gjokaj

As well as the young lads:

Hanson

Lelan

As well as O'Connor, who is a chance to play there as well. Brayford can also play there. That'd be 6 battling it out for two positions, plus two trying to break into the team before even taking into account players who can play there. The issue though is that for the start of the season we have:

Keogh

Buxton

Gjokaj

+

Hanson

Lelan

With Gjokaj still being inexperienced at this level, and Hanson and Lelan yet to get a run at this level. Buxton has also had injury worries, and you'd not want to rely on him and Gjokaj to partner Keogh. I also wouldn't want to think what would happen if Keogh got injured. So we've in an annoying position where we probably should sign someone else, particularly as we have no idea how Barker and O'Brien will be when they are back. Of course, we could always get a loan, which has been suggested, but we have tended to avoid loans except in the case where we've looked to sign them later, at least in recent years. As such I'd guess that there is probably a centrehalf coming, something with experience. Dunne might fit the bill, but I'm not convinced that there is any serious interest in him. We'll see what happens on that front.

The issue for more signings right now though, forgetting centrehalf, is where? What position? Think about it:

GK: Grant - He's been brought in to be first choice, and we've got Deeney to be backup even if Legzdins leaves

LB: Forsyth - Likewise, it's his position for now, and we have Freeman and Hoganson for cover

RB: Brayford - Unless he leaves, it's his position, and even if he does, Freeman seems to be the man to step up

CH: Keogh and Buxton - See above

Midfield is a bit more complex, but let's just put it this way:

Midfield:

Hughes - He's going to be a starter

Bryson - Another almost certain starter in the side

Hendrick - And another, how they'll all be fit in is the real question

Let's just leave the midfield at that, keeping in mind that there is also Coutts (who played pretty much every game last season), Ward (who can play on the left and right), Jacobs, Davies and probably Eustace all vying for places. There's a lot of competition, and they'll be 7-8 players for 3-4 first team places depending on if we play 3 or 4 in midfield (with Jamie being considered a forward in the case we go with 3).

Then on to the Forwards. At this time we have:

Russell

Sammon

Ward

Martin

Bennett

Ball

So that's 5-6 for 2-3 positions (whether we play 2 or 3 up front and whether Jamie is used in midfield or up front). At a guess it'll be Russell and Sammon with Martin rotating in. With that we'll also have Bennett coming into the equation more this season along side Ball. This is before even considering that Theo and Tyson are still here. We surely aren't going to sign another first choice striker.

The only position that really comes to mind is the right of midfield, but there's question marks over whether we'll even play a 4 across midfield. If we do then maybe another right midfield options might be an idea, but we have Coutts and Davies there, and unless a good deal for a young right midfielder comes up, I wouldn't see the point there. Long story short, baring a possible centrehalf signing and Eustace signing, the squad is complete for this season so long as nobody leaves. It's a pretty damn decent squad as well. We should start looking forward to what this squad can do this season rather than hanging out for more changes. Yes, more signings could be good for getting bums on seats, but ultimately it's about the squad, not about the marketing.

Yep I would agree with all the above. I don't think we're lacking in personell per se but I do wonder whether Rush has something still up his sleave to surprise everyone. Probably not but I think there's a lot about momentum, confidence and crowd support that can make a huge difference in this league and to this club. You only have to look at the enthusiasm garnered when Russell signed to see that positive signings breathe confidence and passion into the club. If we didn't sign anyone else I think we'll still do well next season but I do just wonder whether Rush has an ace up his sleeve.

Suffice to say that I'm happy with the squad pretty much as it is, assuming we add CB (Dunne or prem loan would work for me) and retain Brayford. Eustace I would expect to join to and I think he has a certain role to play, not only around the place but in terms of game management in certain situations.

I think what's probably more important to us, is actually moving on the likes of Tyson, Robinson, Lego etc. I don't think it helps to have players at the club who feel they should be starting not getting a game, creates factions and we need to retain our excellent spirit.

I think we have a much stronger squad now with a multitude of variations on formation and decent cover for each position, it's the strongest position we've been in for some time. I would hope that we can offload the periphery players as there's always a risk that players who are not getting games will be disruptive in some way. I think Robinson/Tyson are the only ones likely to cause any issues but hopefully it won't come to that.

I think Clough is straight up with the players and you'd expect eveyone to know their situation and encouraged to work hard regardless.

I'm hopeful for the season, I think we need to go for it from the off. Like it or not I think this season is where we've really got to pull it together on the pitch week in week out. It represents a bit of a crossroads for a lot of the playing personell with the likes of Hughes, Brayford and Hendrick all looking capable of playing at a higher level, it worries me slightly that if we don't make the play offs at least this season we could see a little breaking up of the squad.

It's not a case of now or never but I think the opportunity is there, I hope we can take it.

I hope we pick up a couple of young guns as well... Last year we picked up Gjokaj, Hoganson, Jacobs and Freeman... And personally I see that as a really positive sign as well... That young (potentially0 exciting players choose to come to Derby cos they know it's good for their development...

Archived