Clough

El Stanion

Nigel Clough Hokey Cokey  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been reflecting on the Clough situation.

I reckon that Nigel may well walk or be shown the door by the end of the season. The owners need a reason to keep putting money in, and that reason is the promise of eventual promotion. If they figure that Nigel can't achieve that, and failure to progress is an obvious indicator, then his days are numbered. They may draw the conclusion that it is their funding model which is wrong, but that would mean either selling on at a loss, or gambling even more money. I would think that before either of those things happened it makes sense that they would try another manager, whilst maintaining the current level of spending.

With a poor season ticket renewall threatening, the owners will surely want the new manager to have a little 'box office' appeal. As I mentioned earlier, I just don't believe that we will attract a UK based manager with any sort of decent reputation. Also, if the funding isn't going to change, then maybe something else has to. Now we all know that Nigel will not scout abroud, which limits our recruitment. Maybe addressing this could be the way to make our meagre resources stretch further. So we'll be looking for a foreign coach, with box office appeal, who will continue to develop the youngsters, but hasn't yet made it as a manager. To me that describes one man - Stefano Eranio

I've just been reflecting on the Clough situation.

I reckon that Nigel may well walk or be shown the door by the end of the season. The owners need a reason to keep putting money in, and that reason is the promise of eventual promotion. If they figure that Nigel can't achieve that, and failure to progress is an obvious indicator, then his days are numbered. They may draw the conclusion that it is their funding model which is wrong, but that would mean either selling on at a loss, or gambling even more money. I would think that before either of those things happened it makes sense that they would try another manager, whilst maintaining the current level of spending.

With a poor season ticket renewall threatening, the owners will surely want the new manager to have a little 'box office' appeal. As I mentioned earlier, I just don't believe that we will attract a UK based manager with any sort of decent reputation. Also, if the funding isn't going to change, then maybe something else has to. Now we all know that Nigel will not scout abroud, which limits our recruitment. Maybe addressing this could be the way to make our meagre resources stretch further. So we'll be looking for a foreign coach, with box office appeal, who will continue to develop the youngsters, but hasn't yet made it as a manager. To me that describes one man - Stefano Eranio

Well, his name certainly lends itself to a more rousing song than NC's.!

Out for me, he has done the job that they wanted him to. He has steadied the boat and we now have a fantastic team of young footballers willing to give everything for the club. If we want to push forward he isn't the man for the job. Poor tactical decisions and an inability to learn from his mistakes has been his downfall.

I don't agree that hes taken us anywhere.We will finish where we started under his management.The problem

is that all the other clubs will have moved on.However,no point in polling his dismissal because we have no say

on the issue.The Board will stick with him for 3 good reasons.

1 He is Clough son of and we want to believe in genetics even if we don't understand them.

2 He is cheap

3 He is a yes-man.

Says it all really.He is untouchable.Oh one thing if he doesn't take his full coaching badges he's toast anyway

apparently.

Interesting this poll diden't come up after the excellent result away to Cardiff. We as fans underestimated how much the team miss Ward Hughes Bryson and Brayford. Let alone back up youngsters like Freeman or O'brien. Yesterdays collapse was probably largely down to us being down to the bare bones. Its a shame but I think the Clough selling appeal has all but gone. I want him to turn it around. Has he proved he is learning as a manager here?

Interesting this poll diden't come up after the excellent result away to Cardiff. We as fans underestimated how much the team miss Ward Hughes Bryson and Brayford. Let alone back up youngsters like Freeman or O'brien. Yesterdays collapse was probably largely down to us being down to the bare bones. Its a shame but I think the Clough selling appeal has all but gone. I want him to turn it around. Has he proved he is learning as a manager here?

He has made stupid errors that will almost certainly cos him his job. Sending Theo and Tyson out on loan and replacing Theo with a striker that scores less goals, not returning Frank to his rightful position of no.1 keeper, burning out Hughes even when the player said he wasn't fit to play, making substitutions at 86 minutes to change a game! There are many more that I can't post on here because a) you would want to know how I know and b) you probably wouldn't believe it.

I have said that his appointment has always been a mistake. Derby have won some games but this is not down to his tactical ability, it was down to the lads doing what they do which is playing football, but the players need him to know how to change a game if they are behind, and this is where they need a manager, but he is not tactically good enough to manage at this level. It's becoming more apparent week after week.

He will go in the summer as I have said before, but if Derby get any closer to the bottom 3 he will go sooner because Derbys plan is all based on them been in the championship.

He has made stupid errors that will almost certainly cos him his job. Sending Theo and Tyson out on loan and replacing Theo with a striker that scores less goals, not returning Frank to his rightful position of no.1 keeper, burning out Hughes even when the player said he wasn't fit to play, making substitutions at 86 minutes to change a game! There are many more that I can't post on here because a) you would want to know how I know and b) you probably wouldn't believe it.

I have said that his appointment has always been a mistake. Derby have won some games but this is not down to his tactical ability, it was down to the lads doing what they do which is playing football, but the players need him to know how to change a game if they are behind, and this is where they need a manager, but he is not tactically good enough to manage at this level. It's becoming more apparent week after week.

He will go in the summer as I have said before, but if Derby get any closer to the bottom 3 he will go sooner because Derbys plan is all based on them been in the championship.

Can you please stop posting this 'I would tell you if I could' or 'I know something but you wouldn't believe me' crap.

If you have something to share with your fellow fans just say it, otherwise don't bother mentioning it because basically it makes you look a dick.

Also if you are not prepared to attribute victories to the manager then it is unfair to blame him for the losses, surely that would be down to 'the lads not doing what they do'

Anyway, just a thought to add a thought that hasn't been express on here, and which would relate directly to a new manager. Away from the issue of money, I've often felt under Nigel, and particularly this season, that the players have under performed and that, player for player, we should be doing better than we are.

Some of this criticism must be directed towards the players, but also far too often I've felt we look a bit disorganised and simply not prepared enough, particularly after half time in games.

When you are winning/drawing away from home and the opposition have played poorly, you can guarantee they will have had a rocket at ht and come out firing, yet too often over the last couple of years we seem unprepared for it, and buckle too easily.

Call it a soft underbelly, lack of mental strength, poor organisation, not enough motivation, whatever.

My point is, away from money, could a new manager get more out of the current crop of players? My gut feeling is yes.

Can you please stop posting this 'I would tell you if I could' or 'I know something but you wouldn't believe me' crap.

If you have something to share with your fellow fans just say it, otherwise don't bother mentioning it because basically it makes you look a dick.

Also if you are not prepared to attribute victories to the manager then it is unfair to blame him for the losses, surely that would be down to 'the lads not doing what they do'

If I had simply posted the mistakes someone would have said "is that all he has done?" So that's why I mentioned the fact there have been other mistakes.

I have shared things with "the fellow fans" but some don't believe or want to know how I know, hence the comment about not been believed, so less of the attitude. There is no need to be so rude.

Some of what I have posted is my opinion and some is factual.

Have a nice day.

Anyway, just a thought to add a thought that hasn't been express on here, and which would relate directly to a new manager. Away from the issue of money, I've often felt under Nigel, and particularly this season, that the players have under performed and that, player for player, we should be doing better than we are.

Some of this criticism must be directed towards the players, but also far too often I've felt we look a bit disorganised and simply not prepared enough, particularly after half time in games.

When you are winning/drawing away from home and the opposition have played poorly, you can guarantee they will have had a rocket at ht and come out firing, yet too often over the last couple of years we seem unprepared for it, and buckle too easily.

Call it a soft underbelly, lack of mental strength, poor organisation, not enough motivation, whatever.

My point is, away from money, could a new manager get more out of the current crop of players? My gut feeling is yes.

I agree with your points, but the players get told how to play, and unfortunately the managers mentality if they are drawing is to ensure they don't lose so plays for the draw instead of making positive changes and going for the win.

cloughs man management skills are poor. Anyone that sits near the dug out will tell you that because the way he speaks to some of the players is so out of order, so do you think that would motivate them? I say no.

I think that a new manager would get more out of the team. If Harry Rednapp was the manager here I can bet we would be in the play offs right now because he knows how to make players believe in themselves and have confidence. I know Harry will not come to Derby but a manag with this philosophy would do the job and have the desired effect on the club and the players.

What seems most striking to me about this poll is that even on the back of a loss, even with bad results, even in the bottomhalf of the table and even with selection bias it's still only around ~53% wanting him out. I'm actually kind of shocked by this.

A lot do, but never underestimate the short term effects of a loss. People get emotional and want to basically tear the world down. The fact that it's still only ~53% with selection bias etc. means that there is an awful lot more patience than most would realise.

This is actually pleasantly surprising.

Archived