Clough

El Stanion

Nigel Clough Hokey Cokey  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When Nigel arrived in 2009, I wasn’t someone that was supportive of his appointment, even then it was obvious that the sole reason he was approached was because of his surname. A name that would get the fans’ off of Adam Pearson’s back and put bum’s on seats for the foreseeable future, but we’re now four years down the line in a tenure that hasn’t been disastrous, but has never quite got going, either.

The positive work he has done behind the scenes cannot be under estimated, since his arrival the academy has improved dramatically, producing the likes of Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick, Mark O’Brien and Mason Bennett and I believe, if properly maintained, it will continue provide us with first-team players and revenue through player sales for a long time to come. He should be applauded for this.

His work in cutting down the wage budget and maintaining our participation in the Championship is also an achievement in itself, while also improving the first-team squad with the likes of John Brayford, Jamie Ward and Craig Bryson. He has laid the foundations of a solid, hardworking, team and I believe this side has a A LOT more potential that it is currently showing..

And that is the sticking point, despite the positives, he doesn’t have the ability to get the best out of a side that should be maintaining a position in the top 8 of the Championship. We need someone that is capable of motivating the team the way Billy Davies does, he totally galvanises them and gives them tonnes of belief, Nottingham Forest were in a complete mess a few weeks ago and now the possibility of promotion for them is a very real possibility.

I couldn’t help but ask myself, could Nigel do that? Could Nigel walk into a club, that has a joke of a board who have sacked two Managers in 6 months, with a side that is in the bottom half of the league and low on confidence and turn them into promotion contenders within a few weeks? The answer to this question of course, is no, and it’s the same reason that I believe has take us as far as he can. We need someone with that burning desire to be a success, Brian had it, George Burley had it and Billy Davies but I don’t see it in Nigel, I don't see the fire in his belly that drives those Managers to be the best that they can possibly be and inspire their players to play out of their skin week in, week out and get positive results on a regular basis.

So for me, I think it's time for Nigel and the club to go their seperate ways at the end of the season, we need to bring in someone that can build on the solid foundations that have been put in place and get us challenging at the right end of the Championship.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this isn't a knee jerk reaction, it annoy me how fans say that if we win another game it will shut everyone up, maybe one win after four years will, but the diehard Clough supporters need to realise and seriously think about where Cough is going to take this club. When are we gonig to have that 'Miracle' season where we get into e playoffs or aim to fight in the playoffs, I think the board ad Nigel aren't serious about getting into the play offs.

If we really were going to make a push this season then I could imagine Nigel asking the board to sign a couple of payers in Januray to make the push. But when we get a manager saying 'oh no we don't need to make any additions' its a complete joke, and to me that shows the board and manager aren't really bothered, we've only made some average loan signings to cover injuries, I think that if there were no injuries we wouldn't have made any signings.

There's a worrying complacency from Clough when it comes to signings, maybe its because the board won't back him financially, or because he's tactically inept, or both, but sometihng has to change, or we will only see morale suffer at pride park even more.

Very good post from Eire Ram. That is a big question for Clough can he make the difference. He has given us the stability we need but is now the time to move on?

It is odd that we didnt try and push on in January. Either we didnt have the money available or we wanted for some reason to give the youngsters another season to progress etc.

I'm a big Clough fan but seeing Tyson go out in January and no improvement made to the team whatsoever was odd when realistically a good second half of the season could of given us the chance to make the play offs.

My source says we're gonna break the bank next season.

You don't need to know the source, just take the information.

Is your sauce tomato or HP?

Perhaps even Worcester.

Seriously though we don't need to break the bank. Martin and Waghorn coming in on free agents looks ever so more likely. So we are going to break the bank on a centre back left back and winger. It wouldn't really be breaking the bank if we spent 3 million on 3 players. We spend 2 million on 2 players this summer.

Finally I don't think we will spend more than 3 million anyway.

Perhaps even Worcester.

Seriously though we don't need to break the bank. Martin and Waghorn coming in on free agents looks ever so more likely. So we are going to break the bank on a centre back left back and winger. It wouldn't really be breaking the bank if we spent 3 million on 3 players. We spend 2 million on 2 players this summer.

martin and waghorn :(

Perhaps even Worcester.

Neither it's a special source from nando's

Can't believe we are still having this same discusion after 4 years.  Some of us said he was'nt going to make it 2 years ago and now a lot more have "woke up to smell the coffee" shame about the wasted years, a lot of the good things poeple say about him were in place before he came. Managers need to mold and motivate what they have when they arrive, it was obvious to some that he had nether of these qualities. Can we please have a team we can be proud of, as soon as possible.

martin and waghorn :(

I would argue these are two strikers that come to the club with a bit of an unknown surrounding them. That is a rarity. And perhaps a good thing;

Tyson - everyone knew when he signed that he wasnt gonna get 15 goals a season, his touch was poor, he was injury prone etc.

Robison - came from a team in a lower league position, nobody expected him to be great before his loan spell.

Maguire - average goalscoring record

Sammon - Couldn't get a game in the premier league, was bought here as a striker that wasnt supposed to score goals, that's not his game apparently.

There are other examples, the point is we knew what we were getting in terms of these players.

Waghorn has never been given a run of games and has shown real quality at times, there is real unknown quality that potentially could be exploited. Martin is held in good regard by Norwich fans and from his loan spell so far looks really good. Scored at Cardiff, a top class finish if people havent seen it but was given offiside when you can simply see he was on by a good half a yard. Then was denied by a quality save from Butland and a block by Robinson at the Birmingham game.

Clough out! Same as somebody else said, Duracell I think, he was probably the right appointment in 2009 but after 4 years he's served his purpose and I think we need a new man in charge to take the club up to the premier league. Not a Clough hater but I think it's time for a change.

I would argue these are two strikers that come to the club with a bit of an unknown surrounding them. That is a rarity. And perhaps a good thing;

Tyson - everyone knew when he signed that he wasnt gonna get 15 goals a season, his touch was poor, he was injury prone etc.

Robison - came from a team in a lower league position, nobody expected him to be great before his loan spell.

Maguire - average goalscoring record

Sammon - Couldn't get a game in the premier league, was bought here as a striker that wasnt supposed to score goals, that's not his game apparently.

There are other examples, the point is we knew what we were getting in terms of these players.

Waghorn has never been given a run of games and has shown real quality at times, there is real unknown quality that potentially could be exploited. Martin is held in good regard by Norwich fans and from his loan spell so far looks really good. Scored at Cardiff, a top class finish if people havent seen it but was given offiside when you can simply see he was on by a good half a yard. Then was denied by a quality save from Butland and a block by Robinson at the Birmingham game.

The thing is with all of this would Waghorn get a run of games here ? Clough likes to play Sammon by himself and very rarely gets taken off even when his not been in the game. Also if we sign both of them, i can see Martin and Sammon being first choice strikers anyway. Clough has favourites Sammon is definatly one of them.

The thing is with all of this would Waghorn get a run of games here ? Clough likes to play Sammon by himself and very rarely gets taken off even when his not been in the game. Also if we sign both of them, i can see Martin and Sammon being first choice strikers anyway. Clough has favourites Sammon is definatly one of them.

Clough has been chasing Waghorn for years, Waghorn would start trust. 

We tried to get him on loan when Sven was manager, that was some time ago now. 

He has had a few injuries but he has quality. Seen some games for the england under 21s and he knows where the goal is. Quality in the air and has pace. Cant get a game at Leicester its no surprise he hasnt signed a new deal.

When can we make a formal approach to sign him on a pre contract?

Archived