Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky Sports understands Derby County are on the brink of signing Norwich City striker Chris Martin on a permanent basis.

Martin has enjoyed a loan spell at Derby recently and he scored two goals in 13 appearances during his time at Pride Park.

He is out of contract at Norwich in the summer and Rams boss Nigel Clough confirmed earlier this week that the club were close to agreeing a deal for the forward.

The 24-year-old started his career at Carrow Road and has scored 34 goals in 117 appearances, but has featured only five times in the Premier League since Norwich won promotion back to the Premier League in 2011.

Prior to his stint at Derby, he scored once in 12 games for Swindon Town this season and has also previously had loan spells at Crystal Palace and Luton Town.

Martin will become the second signing Derby have agreed since the end of the regular Championship campaign after goalkeeper Lee Grant accepted an offer to rejoin the club this week.

Do you think it will be a 3 year deal? Would prefer a 2 with a 1 year option personally but not sure martin would take that.

rather he didn't sign at all, think there's better out their on a free, don't know who but I'm not fond of this lad. On his butt too much.

I suppose when he joins we will have to kick start the puns again.

This is a warning sign for you all.

He won't be all yellow soon.

Brothers and Sisters, Don't Panic, if old puns are posted then you'll be banned at the Speed of Sound.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Striker-Martin-signs-year-Derby-County-deal/story-18924972-detail/story.html#axzz2STRdjCvI

2 year deal
No mention of an option but that doesn't mean there isn't one I guess

CHRIS Martin has become Derby County’s second signing in as many days as Nigel Clough moves quickly to land his transfer targets.

Goalkeeper Lee Grant agreed to join the Rams on Tuesday and now Martin has also arrived on a free transfer

Both moves will go through on July 1.

Martin was out of contract at Norwich City this summer and the Canaries have not taken up an option of another year on the 24-year-old striker, who has spent three months on loan with the Rams.

He has agreed a two-year deal at Derby with a one-year option.

Clough has been impressed with Martin in his 13 appearances.

“It was great to bring him in on loan and have a look at him at close quarters,” said Clough.

“To get a player of his quality – and on a free transfer as well – is a good deal for the club.”

Martin is delighted to have his future sorted out.

He has had loan stints at Crystal Palace, Swindon Town and Derby in the last two seasons.

Now he is looking to put his loan spells behind him and kick on.

“The manager (Nigel Clough) has shown faith in my ability and played me in pretty much every game of my loan spell,” he said.

“The lads here have made me feel very welcome. I said in my first week at the club it felt like I had been here all season and that hasn’t changed one bit.

“I’m delighted to have signed.”

Martin scored twice in his 13 games for Derby.

Reflecting on his loan spell, he said: “I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t manage to score a few more goals.

“I think I was a bit unlucky with a few decisions that went against me but I missed a few chances as well.

“I will be looking to put in similar performances next season and look to add to my goal tally.

“I feel the way the team plays suits my game.

“I can be a target man but I like to come off defenders and get the ball to feet.”

Martin has been at Norwich since the age of 10. He progressed through their academy and made his full debut against Wolves in the Championship in January 2007. He went on to make 117 appearances for Norwich, 87 of them starts, and scored 34 goals.

Looking back on his time at Carrow Road, Martin said: “I got plenty of chances at Norwich, to be fair, but probably not as many as I would have liked in the Premier League. I only played three or four games but that’s the way it goes.

“I went out on loan to try to prove myself and I felt I did myself justice in those loan spells but it didn’t quite work out at Norwich.

“That has obviously led me to Derby and I am delighted to be here.”

“The manager is putting together a really good group of players and people here. With a few more additions, I am sure we can give it a very good shot next season.”

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Striker-Martin-signs-year-Derby-County-deal/story-18924972-detail/story.html#axzz2STRdjCvI

2 year deal

CHRIS Martin has become Derby County’s second signing in as many days as Nigel Clough moves quickly to land his transfer targets.

Goalkeeper Lee Grant agreed to join the Rams on Tuesday and now Martin has also arrived on a free transfer

Martin was out of contract at Norwich City this summer and the Canaries have not taken up an option of another year on the 24-year-old striker, who has spent three months on loan with the Rams.

“It was great to bring him in on loan and have a look at him at close quarters,” said Clough.

“To get a player of his quality – and on a free transfer as well – is a good deal for the club.”

He has had loan stints at Crystal Palace, Swindon Town and Derby in the last two seasons.

“The manager (Nigel Clough) has shown faith in my ability and played me in pretty much every game of my loan spell,” he said.

“The lads here have made me feel very welcome. I said in my first week at the club it felt like I had been here all season and that hasn’t changed one bit.

Reflecting on his loan spell, he said: “I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t manage to score a few more goals.

“I think I was a bit unlucky with a few decisions that went against me but I missed a few chances as well.

“I will be looking to put in similar performances next season and look to add to my goal tally.

“I can be a target man but I like to come off defenders and get the ball to feet.”

Martin has been at Norwich since the age of 10. He progressed through their academy and made his full debut against Wolves in the Championship in January 2007. He went on to make 117 appearances for Norwich, 87 of them starts, and scored 34 goals.

Looking back on his time at Carrow Road, Martin said: “I got plenty of chances at Norwich, to be fair, but probably not as many as I would have liked in the Premier League. I only played three or four games but that’s the way it goes.

“I went out on loan to try to prove myself and I felt I did myself justice in those loan spells but it didn’t quite work out at Norwich.

“The manager is putting together a really good group of players and people here. With a few more additions, I am sure we can give it a very good shot next season.”

it says their is a one year option :D

Why are free transfers good, just because you think you're getting something for nothing is that good? Like a free kick in the slats is a good thing, can see people queiung up for that one. What concerns me about Martin is that Clough thinks he has done well in his time here if he's not 100% sure then don't bother, move onto someone else. Martin was playing in our team for the last quarter of the season and results were very patchy so he has demonstrated he hasn't improved the team and not nearly enough to get us into the playoff places. Who else we getting on a free transfer then this summer?

2 year deal

Reflecting on his loan spell, he said: 

He never seemed this happy with the way we play when he was on the pitch! All he did was moan and throw his arms around.

“I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t manage to score a few more goals."

2 in 13 and he's 'a bit disappointed' - he's not exactly ambitious is he?

I can only imagine we're hoping we make a profit on him - he wouldn't be in my first XI.

Archived