Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

I don't mind this. He can control a ball with his feet and has a decent knack of usually being able to either win it in the air or make sure the defender doesn't cleanly. Still young too so can improve. Just fitness he needs to work on.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He never seemed this happy with the way we play when he was on the pitch! All he did was moan and throw his arms around.

“I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t manage to score a few more goals."

2 in 13 and he's 'a bit disappointed' - he's not exactly ambitious is he?

I can only imagine we're hoping we make a profit on him - he wouldn't be in my first XI.

maybe he meant he is disappointed with his 2 disallowed goals which were wrongly disallowed which would have left him on 4 in 13 which is ok for someone who has been working towards match fitness (whether he got there is another point for discussion)

Martin is a striker in a similar mould to Steve Davies – not particularly fast or tall but well built and strong. Holds the ball up nicely and a decent shot. Not a prolific scoring record but still the type of player we need in the squad. A sort of traditional No. 10 if you're old like me.

What worries me is that we are transfer-listing out two "pacey" strikers (Theo & Tyson) because they want first team football

Sammon is our target man & the club are supposedly buying a "fox in the box" type to score the goals. Then we also have Wardy knocking around the front line

We can't play all these strikers so someone is going to be doing a lot of benchwarming like Theo & Tyson were early this season  - and may well end up with the same beef. Maybe what Clough wants is people who won't throw a strop if they aren't in the first XI  every week. It's a team game after all

Norwich fan here in peace.

I think Martin will do a good job for you guys IF he's used correctly.

He is not and out and out striker, but a player who most suits playing in a Sheringham type role off a front pair.

He is like Berbatov in that at times he appears lazy and slow, but in truth he's actually fairly quick when he wants to be, but is never going to chase loose balls all day.

He's arguably the best finisher we've got (something Paul Lambert and previous managers all alluded to), but too often wasn't in the right position to use it to his advantage, or was on a different wavelength to some teammates (don't know if you can blame them or him for that tbh).

There were issues with his attitude and private life some years ago, but he does appear to have put the majority of this behind him, and in truth has simply been unlucky that due to our rapid rise up the leagues, that he's been seen as surplus to requirements.

For those Derby fans that say they'd rather have Simeon Jackson - PLEASE, TAKE THE F**KER!!!

Awful at finishing, isn't particularly quick, good in the air or skillful, and his link up play is average at best. Aside from a purple patch at the end of the season in the Championship, he's never looked like scoring anywhere near consistently (went 19 games without a goal before that purple patch...) and despite having a good work rate and attitude, his ability level just isn't there.

Vaughan is a MUCH better player from what little we've seen of him, pacy with an eye for goal, and assuming he can stay fit in a decent side, then 15-20 a season in the Championship is more than possible. The concern is over his injury proneness, and there's also a rumour that his GF hated it in Norwich which is why the move the Huddersfield was done ASAP (as she's closer to being back home).

Anyway, hope SCM (Super Chrissy Martin as he was known) does a good job for your team, and good luck in the season ahead.

Regards

Indy.

He is not and out and out striker, but a player who most suits playing in a Sheringham type role off a front pair.

He is like Berbatov in that at times he appears lazy and slow, but in truth he's actually fairly quick when he wants to be, but is never going to chase loose balls all day.

He's arguably the best finisher we've got (something Paul Lambert and previous managers all alluded to), but too often wasn't in the right position to use it to his advantage, or was on a different wavelength to some teammates (don't know if you can blame them or him for that tbh).

There were issues with his attitude and private life some years ago, but he does appear to have put the majority of this behind him, and in truth has simply been unlucky that due to our rapid rise up the leagues, that he's been seen as surplus to requirements.

For those Derby fans that say they'd rather have Simeon Jackson - PLEASE, TAKE THE F**KER!!!

Awful at finishing, isn't particularly quick, good in the air or skillful, and his link up play is average at best. Aside from a purple patch at the end of the season in the Championship, he's never looked like scoring anywhere near consistently (went 19 games without a goal before that purple patch...) and despite having a good work rate and attitude, his ability level just isn't there.

Vaughan is a MUCH better player from what little we've seen of him, pacy with an eye for goal, and assuming he can stay fit in a decent side, then 15-20 a season in the Championship is more than possible. The concern is over his injury proneness, and there's also a rumour that his GF hated it in Norwich which is why the move the Huddersfield was done ASAP (as she's closer to being back home).

Anyway, hope SCM (Super Chrissy Martin as he was known) does a good job for your team, and good luck in the season ahead.

Regards

Indy.

Some good information there.

I hope if we sign Vaughan, his lady isn't going to upset the apple-cart later down the line - at least we're not that far from alot of the major northern cities.

I've been to Norwich. I can see why she hated it. No offence but it's quite isolated and feels a bit backwards as a result. It takes a long time for cities like that to catch up with the rest of the country. They had to send leaflets to every house when they built a new road explaining how roundabouts worked. No one who passed their test had ever seen one before!

I don't count ward as a striker per sea, he plays on the left and floats in, which I believe is his best role, thats why i didnt count him

Jacobs looked ok up there when given a chance too. So there's options.

I've been to Norwich. I can see why she hated it. No offence but it's quite isolated and feels a bit backwards as a result. It takes a long time for cities like that to catch up with the rest of the country. They had to send leaflets to every house when they built a new road explaining how roundabouts worked. No one who passed their test had ever seen one before!

Must be nicer than feckin Huddersfield though.

I'd rather be living in Syria at the moment than a place that's northern and in Yorkshire. 

Must be nicer than feckin Huddersfield though.

I'd rather be living in Syria at the moment than a place that's northern and in Yorkshire. 

Nowt wrong wi' t'Yorkshire Moors.

Regards

Indy.

Thanks for that fella ~ look forward to playing you again next season if you lose to the Baggies this weekend.....

Archived