Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Martin to be honest.

You can tell he has a footballing brain and his touch and technique, at times, is exquisite. People moan about his goalscoring record but, technically, he's scored 4 goals in 12 games. He was very unlucky to have two ruled out incorrectly (some strikers don't have that many disallowed goals in a full season!).

I'm going to make a bold prediction now and say, if he gets a bit fitter during the off-season, he's going to finish next season with a goal tally of roughly 12, with maybe 8 or so assists. That will be a great return for a supporting striker that we got on a free.

so one striker for work rate, one for link up play. Sounds like a good goalscoring season next year :/

I don't think having a striker with good work rate and a striker with good link up play is bad so long as we sign an out-and-out "finisher" as well, a "goal-hanger" who will be in the right place to just put chances away (a more consistent theo, you could say). 

Then we could rotate between sammon and martin depending on which of their attributes are more needed at the time, someone to drop off and link or someone to run the channels and harass defenders

I don't think having a striker with good work rate and a striker with good link up play is bad so long as we sign an out-and-out "finisher" as well, a "goal-hanger" who will be in the right place to just put chances away (a more consistent theo, you could say). 

Then we could rotate between sammon and martin depending on which of their attributes are more needed at the time, someone to drop off and link or someone to run the channels and harass defenders

I doubt sammon or martin will want to sit on the bench.

I doubt sammon or martin will want to sit on the bench.

That's true and they shouldn't want to be on the bench but I think most successful teams need options to be able rotate, especially up front.

No player should be guaranteed a first team place for the entire season, they should have to work ahead of others to get in.

This is all just my personal opinion of course 

Ive not managed to go to a game since Bristol due to work so he may have stopped but my biggest problem with martin was that he battled for space with his hands, often penalised for pushing and for me turning an attack into a defensive free kick for pushing off the ball is far more frustrating than any of Sammon's misses.

When I can't go to the game I like to listen to the opposition's radio commentary to hear the their view on us and the game against Blackburn had a moment where nobody knew what had happened. Jamie Ward was attacking down the wing and the ref awarded a free kick to Blackburn, Chris martin penalised for pushing off the ball... They used that phrase so many times! I actually find the apparent laziness less annoying than the pushing, its such a petty free kick to concede.

But If we sign him as it looks we will, he has my full support pushing or no pushing.

4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1

Can see it being more:

----------------------------Grant------------------------

Brayford-------Keogh--------Baptiste--------Forsyth

Coutts----------Hendrick-------Hughes--------Ward

----------------Sammon---------Vaughan--------------

Bench

No.2 Goalkeeper

Freeman

B.Davies

Martin

Bennett

Buxton

Jacobs

That's is if we actually do manage to get Baptiste....

Can see it being more:

Coutts----------Hendrick-------Hughes--------Ward

----------------Sammon---------Vaughan--------------

Bench

No.2 Goalkeeper

Freeman

B.Davies

Martin

Bennett

Buxton

Jacobs

That's is if we actually do manage to get Baptiste....

Bryson?

New RM----------Hendrick-------Hughes--------Ward

---\/rm---------------------Martin-----------------------\/lm-

--------------------------New ST------------------------

Bench

No.2 Goalkeeper

Freeman

Buxton

Bryson

B.Davies/Jacobs

Bennett

Sammon

Vrm and Vlm meaning the RM and LM push forwards to form the 4-2-3-1.

Having said all that though, we'll still need more signings to really strengthen the squad. I was having a discussion with my Forest supporting pal. He thinks their players are better, I just think they have a bigger squad of potentially first XI players and their first XI is no stronger than ours. Their squad is though, which is what I think has ultimately let us down this season.

Not enough ready made, quality options on the bench to change things when it's not going to plan.

Grant 

Brayford -  Baptiste - Keogh - Forsyth

Hendrick

Bryson          Hughes 

Vaughan                               Ward

Sammon 

Subs 

Morch 

Buxton 

Freeman 

Coutts

Jacobs 

Martin 

Bennett 

Eddie, how many more goals have we conceded this season? The BD team was clinical and won games, this team doesn't often enough.

Sammon will be a Fist choice starting player next season, so I only hope the second striker is someone clinical, and can grab 20 a season. Martin on the bench is not a good option, I never think he looks like scoring. Did he even get a shot in against Millwall?

Eddie, how many more goals have we conceded this season? The BD team was clinical and won games, this team doesn't often enough.

Sammon will be a Fist choice starting player next season, so I only hope the second striker is someone clinical, and can grab 20 a season. Martin on the bench is not a good option, I never think he looks like scoring. Did he even get a shot in against Millwall?

That's precisely the point I was making. 16 more compared to the BD season with the biggest difference being away from home - 13 more.

Archived