John Brayford

Shamblez

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not happy with this.

A Prem team should be paying £2m up front at least. And If they were sniffing around in Jan why couldnt they have done the deal much sooner?

We have never got a decent price for anyone since Seth Johnson was sold to Leeds.

I agree we often seem to get our pants taken down in the transfer market but £1.5m plus add ons is good for a player about to go into his last year of contract.

Good player. Nice lad. But not irreplaceable.

I think £2m (including add-ons) bearing in mind he's in the last year of his contract is actually pretty good business. And I've no doubt that Freeman can make the step up.

I actually reckon defensively we're stronger than this time last year - I do think Freeman is the better defender of the 2 & Forsyth is an improvement on Roberts. Reinvest the Brayford money on a decent CB (& a backup RB) & I think we will look back on this as a good move for all concerned.

Rush & Clough have had a very decent summer's work in the transfer work - I have every confidence they've got contingency plans in place & we'll see positive activity pronto.

Massively ***** timing. I hope to god this has been been planned for. Less than 2 weeks until the season starts and a defence which is just about serviceable is now in bits. We can't cover Buxton with a class full back any more. We now need a new centre back and full back minimum.

Yes, I like Freeman, but he's not ready for every single week. He gets injured enough just playing the odd game.

What I find particularly disappointing about the whole affair is that Clough must have known Brayford had no intention of staying despite him being "hopeful" ergo Brayford thought our chances of being in the Premiership the season after next was nil so jumped ship. So if one of our players thinks we have no chance next season then nothing more to say.

Does the alphabet in your household go ABCDEFZ? Talk about jumping to conclusions!

What I find particularly disappointing about the whole affair is that Clough must have known Brayford had no intention of staying despite him being "hopeful" ergo Brayford thought our chances of being in the Premiership the season after next was nil so jumped ship. So if one of our players thinks we have no chance next season then nothing more to say.

How do you know he had no intention of staying?

He's a top end championship/bottom end Prem RB who has a chance to double or maybe treble his wages and play in the Prem. He knew people were interested so wanted the window before signing a contract.

Just because he is leaving doesn't think we have no chance, would someone give up jam today rather than the chance of jam tomorrow, of course they would. Why wouldn't they?

I just hope they act quick. I was enjoying the serenity after the Russell saga.

Makes you wonder if the 'having talks with Brayford this week' was a thinly veiled hurry up to Cardiff.

They must have known about this at last night's Q+A. I'm not saying they should have let the cat out the bag but they must have been looking at the contigency plans.

Massively ***** timing. I hope to god this has been been planned for. Less than 2 weeks until the season starts and a defence which is just about serviceable is now in bits. We can't cover Buxton with a class full back any more. We now need a new centre back and full back minimum.

Yes, I like Freeman, but he's not ready for every single week. He gets injured enough just playing the odd game.

There's no way this was planned for cuz he was given the number 2 shirt in the players list, I'm doubting Freeman can fit into his gaping hole, hope he proves me wrong, Bray is up there with Glenda Johnson in my humble opinion, this is a blow to our ambitions, pffffft

I have to say some people do spout some nonsense at times like this! You'd think we'd let him go on a free to Forest the way some people are panicking!

Disappointed naturally, quality player, loved his energy and his willingness to get forward at every opportunity.

From his perspective I think it's unfair to say he 'refused' to sign for us because I think he would if no offers from Prem came in but there was probably a gentleman's agreement in place to say we'd let him go if our valuation was met by a Prem side. I don't personally think it's a great move for him but hopefully he can shine in the Cardiff side and go onto better things. Time will tell.

I don't think you can blame Clough or Rush for any of this, ideally it would have been done a couple of weeks ago but that was never really in their control. I'm sure they've planned for the eventuality and I would expect to see them move fairly quickly now.

£1.5m up front for a player in the last year of his contract is pretty decent money in all reality and hopefully we already have some thoughts on how best to use this. Personally I think a top quality CB is important, whilst also bringing in cover for Freeman who I'm sure will step up and be first choice. Time will tell if he's good enough but hopefully a new CB will improve the defence overall.

I had let myself think that Brayford was staying to help us with our own promotion push but alas it's not to be. I wish the lad well, he's always given 100% and I hope he can push on with his career.

It's not all that good of a fee when you look how much Florist got for Chris Gunter from Reading.

Same position as Brayford, same scenario regarding his contract.

Think the deal was about 2.5 mill

Gunter's 2 years younger and a full international you could argue. 

I have to say some people do spout some nonsense at times like this! You'd think we'd let him go on a free to Forest the way some people are panicking!

Disappointed naturally, quality player, loved his energy and his willingness to get forward at every opportunity.

From his perspective I think it's unfair to say he 'refused' to sign for us because I think he would if no offers from Prem came in but there was probably a gentleman's agreement in place to say we'd let him go if our valuation was met by a Prem side. I don't personally think it's a great move for him but hopefully he can shine in the Cardiff side and go onto better things. Time will tell.

I don't think you can blame Clough or Rush for any of this, ideally it would have been done a couple of weeks ago but that was never really in their control. I'm sure they've planned for the eventuality and I would expect to see them move fairly quickly now.

£1.5m up front for a player in the last year of his contract is pretty decent money in all reality and hopefully we already have some thoughts on how best to use this. Personally I think a top quality CB is important, whilst also bringing in cover for Freeman who I'm sure will step up and be first choice. Time will tell if he's good enough but hopefully a new CB will improve the defence overall.

I had let myself think that Brayford was staying to help us with our own promotion push but alas it's not to be. I wish the lad well, he's always given 100% and I hope he can push on with his career.

Agree with this 100%

I think my biggest disappointment is for Brayford himself as I think he deserves a better move than what he has got.

Not many better English right backs in my opinion and a move to a midtable club might have put him in the England managers thoughts.

As it happens I think he will now be back playing in The Championship within 12 months.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. Perversely I am quite happy that Brayford has left as it draws a line under the ongoing will he sign wont he sign saga and now we will genuinely see whether the board are intending to back the club and push for the Top 6 with the money recouped or all of the talk was just rhetoric.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. Perversely I am quite happy that Brayford has left as it draws a line under the ongoing will he sign wont he sign saga and now we will genuinely see whether the board are intending to back the club and push for the Top 6 with the money recouped or all of the talk was just rhetoric.

Yep it's a clean break at least, let's give them a chance to show us how they're going to deal with this then!

Archived