John Brayford

Shamblez

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Goals win games" ...and conceding goals loses points, something we did far too much of last season.

As it stands, the loss of Brayford means we'll likely score less and concede more.

It's always a gamble bringing in an unknown quality to replace a known quality, but especially if your replacement is having to step up a league or two. It may have worked with Brayford himself, but our aspirations at the time were mid-table at most... when we're claiming to be after a top 6 spot, I'd much rather sign someone who's proven to be capable in this league already.

...which isn't to say it wouldn't work again, just that it's not really a forward step if we only ever reinvest in potential.

"Goals win games" ...and conceding goals loses points, something we did far too much of last season.

As it stands, the loss of Brayford means we'll likely score less and concede more.

On the other hand, the presence of Russell and Martin together up front and the inclusion of Eustace in a defensive midfield role at the appropriate time means we'll likely score more and concede less

I see your swings and raise you several roundabouts.

On the other hand, the presence of Russell and Martin together up front and the inclusion of Eustace in a defensive midfield role at the appropriate time means we'll likely score more and concede less

I see your swings and raise you several roundabouts.

Good point, I'd only counter it (although tbh I'd rather look on the positive side you put across) by saying that we know for certain that the Coutts/Brayford combination worked very well against teams in this league last season... we don't know for certain that Russell can reproduce his pre-season form in the league.

I'd also add to the positives list that we conceded less headers/goals from crosses with Forsyth in the team, so his full inclusion this season may just help us cut out that major problem, leading to less goals conceded all round.

Derby County defender John Brayford has joined Premier League side Cardiff City.

The 25-year-old right-back has joined the top flight new-boys after Derby agreed an undisclosed fee with City yesterday.

Brayford joined the Rams in the summer of 2010 from Crewe Alexandra he was due to be out of contract next summer.

The bid for his services was accepted after he expressed a strong desire to make the move and test himself in the Premier League.

He leaves Derby after making 117 appearances, scoring on four occasions.

Manager Nigel Clough said: “We’re sad to see John go but he wanted to play in the Premier League and once Cardiff came in with an offer, he made it clear to us it was an opportunity he wanted to take up.

“We have got a very good fee for John and that money will ensure the squad is strengthened as a result.

“He has given us three excellent years of service and we wish him well at the Cardiff, but we have to move on and the search is now underway, although we have a number of targets in mind already, to ensure we improve the squad.

“We have another very capable right-back in Kieron Freeman on the books who did well last season, when called upon."

He added: “We should not see today’s news as a negative. We have the opportunity now to add to the squad and that’s what we are determined to do.”

Derby County would like to take this opportunity to thank John Brayford for his efforts and wish him well for the future.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/brayford-completes-cardiff-move-945770.aspx#0fTK4DRiztAg8dD3.99

Archived