John Brayford

Shamblez

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naturally disappointed as he's a big talent. He's a total Clough success story, considering we paid around £600-700k for him, £2m is a great profit (less the 15% due to Crewe, from what I've heard). Wish him every success at Cardiff, glad he didn't leave for Wigan, and I bet he is too.

Under Glick, he would have gone to Wigan for £1m, and the money would have gone nowhere. However, under Rush, I fully believe that the majority will be ploughed straight back into improving the squad, and if Clough, Rush et al. can pull off something similar to Johnny Russell. 

A decent amount to find a permanent RB to either be ahead, or more likely a loan behind Freeman, and maybe £1m on a CB.

I am very concerned that we now have a back 4 that consists of a left back who is a midfielder who played ok for a few games at left back, Keogh, Buxton who is not good enough to be first choice and Freeman who will be good but is young and currently injured. Then In reserve we have o'Connor, Hoganson and Gjokaj.

That is weaker than what we had last season. I know this will be called negative but that is how I see this.

Isn't that why the club have said this afternoon that they have players in mind to sign?

I like Freeman and we looked at least as solid when he replaced Brayford, if not more so.

Brayford was quality going forward but as a defender he was no more than average, lets see him up against the best players in the Premier League before we big him up too much. £2 million is a very good fee, especially if it buys us a quality central defender. If its a toss up between a commanding centre half and a right back I will take the centre half every time.

Taking the emotion out of it, :wub:  it's not bad business getting rid of a player with 12 months left on their contract for £1.5 million +.

At least it gives us money to potentially strengthen further. We need another right back, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Freeman start against Blackburn, and I wouldn't have any problems with this, however it is certainly a step down.

I'd like to see us go after Cyrus Christie from Coventry - i'm not sure if we could get him for £500,000, he's looked good when I've seen him (on very few occasions) and he's still only 20.

If we could get a good centre back (Barker type fee) I think we'd be stronger for it! Maybe someone along the lines of Lowry but I think he'd cost more than a million. Clough has always said, 'We don't need a centre back as Brayford can always operate there in times of trouble' - well he doesn't have that luxury anymore and a centre back I feel is now more urgent than before.

If we were to get a good replacement right back for £500,000 (Christie) and spent £1 million on a centre back I'd like us to go after either:

Harry Maguire - 20 year old 6 foot 4 centre back currently playing for Sheffield United and was in team of the year for league 1 last season. Has a massive future. Was linked to QPR for £1.5 million, so might just be out of our price range unless Sam Rush can work some magic.

Shane Lowry - Millwall centre back - 24 years old.

Isn't that why the club have said this afternoon that they have players in mind to sign?

I like Freeman and we looked at least as solid when he replaced Brayford, if not more so.

Brayford was quality going forward but as a defender he was no more than average, lets see him up against the best players in the Premier League before we big him up too much. £2 million is a very good fee, especially if it buys us a quality central defender. If its a toss up between a commanding centre half and a right back I will take the centre half every time.

But we haven't got £2m. I thought we got £1.5m with the chance of add ons, I would imagine the add ons are linked to whether Cardiff stay up which perhaps won't happen. Of that £1.5m fee people are saying some will go to Crewe. I reckon that means we actually get about £1.2m. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good fee but rounding it up to £2m and claiming Brayford to be an average defender is just distorting the facts to make everything seem rosy.

Hopefully we will sign a defender or two, hopefully they will be good buys and hopefully they will be here before the season starts but don't try and make selling our best defender, 10 days before the season starts anything other than disappointing.

Pity Brayford is going to a plastic red kit wearing team...

Just a thought, if no-one comes in for O'Connor, we have our ready made replacement/cover...

Funny thing is...

when he first arrived and played a few games, I thought O'Connor looked like an astute signing who would do well enough in defence as the footballing CB next to all action Keogh... obviously he then went totally the other way, got played at left back and never recovered, BUT...

one of the things I thought about him was thatIi could see how he would be a very similar player to Brayford if we were to play him at right back - he was quite quick and looked to carry the ball forward out of defence, he seemed to have a similar running style/posture about him... but we never did see him at RB and subsequently he's looked **** and we want rid!

Question that needs answering is why Brayford had a year left on his contract and was stalling about signing, speaks volumes about the club matching Brayfords ambitions

Or he wanted to play in the premier league and wasnt guaranteed that with Derby?!

I don't think we can blame the player for going or the club for accepting what seems a decent fee. Just the timing stings.

It could be worse. 1/2 weeks to replace a player who has been in doubt all summer isnt too bad. I wouldnt be suprised if the replacement(s!) are already being worked on.

i think he will be a big lose in our attacking how many goals came from his run down the wing  .  hate it when they say he wanted prem footbal . if he wanted it that bad should have stayed and helped us get there. afterall cardiff will be back down next year. clough and rush better hurry up and bring someone in.

i think he will be a big lose in our attacking how many goals came from his run down the wing  .  hate it when they say he wanted prem footbal . if he wanted it that bad should have stayed and helped us get there. afterall cardiff will be back down next year. clough and rush better hurry up and bring someone in.

Would you turn down an extra £500k next year? 10k or less a week with us 20k a week with Cardiff.

Archived