John Brayford

Shamblez

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's disappointing to lose John Brayford but it's been expected for a while now. If any of our squad has proven to be good enough for a crack at the Premier League then it's him. He has been consistently excellent during his three years with us and one of the best full backs that we've had in a very long time.

As far as the club are concerned, I'm sure they've had other options lined up for a considerable amount of time if Brayford was to leave. The £1.5million to be received initially is a good fee for a player entering the final year of his deal and as disappointing as it is to lose a player of his quality, how refreshing is it to actually recieve a fair fee for a player? For that, credit should be given to the club for sticking to it's valuation of the player.

I'm sure a few more players will be coming through the door before the end of the window and for those panicking about the weakening of our side, I also remember a certain Mr Davies selling our "best" players Inigo Idiakez and Tommy Smith towards the end of a transfer and we all know what happened that season.

The departure of Brayford is a blow but the fee recieved certainly eases that. 

Up The Rams!

I don't get this. He's surely not going to be their #1 right back otherwise they'd have payed more than £1.3/1.5/2m for him, because that kind of money doesn't buy you Premier league quality. So he's either second choice, or we've been ripped off.

Final year of his deal always results in a lower fee.

It's unlikely a promoted side would be willing to splash out £4million+ on a full back. I'd thoroughly expect him to be their first choice full back over the coming season.

Anyone who's said something along the lines of "We've clearly had to sell Brayford to balance the incomings we already made" would do well to remember the reported £1m we rejected from Wigan - if it were true that we had to sell him to balance what's already happened then we would have accepted that.

I don't think he's a world beater, and I have faith that Clough can spend the money wisely and so will do. Also it gives us the chance to fill more positions across the back four with the money we've got. Anyway, we'll be promoted this season, and Cardiff will get relegated so we can just buy him back.

All that said, at the end of the day I would have been a lot happier had this thread been about him signing a new deal.

Final year of his deal always results in a lower fee.

It's unlikely a promoted side would be willing to splash out £4million+ on a full back. I'd thoroughly expect him to be their first choice full back over the coming season.

Aye true. Gary Hoopers valuation has gone from £7m to £5m since last Christmas.

I don't get this. He's surely not going to be their #1 right back otherwise they'd have payed more than £1.3/1.5/2m for him, because that kind of money doesn't buy you Premier league quality. So he's either second choice, or we've been ripped off.

In fairness it's a gamble on their part too - I like John, but there is a gulf in class between the 2 divisions. 

I think 2million for a top end experienced championship player is ample enough, I don't think anyone on here will say with certainty that he WILL step up and is obviously premier league quality. 

I sit next to 'mr. tibbs' (who post on here) and on the topic of Brayford, I genuinely didn't think he would leave because I didn't think he would make the sideways move to another championship club, and I didn't think a premier league club would actually take the chance on him. If we spent 2 million and signed John Brayford (as well as supposedly) 20 grand a week on a 3/4 year deal. I would want more in all honesty, whether that is gready or realistic of me... I don't know. 

I mean, just putting it out there - we have made 2 million for what we call the best right back in the division, us the fans(of the team he plays for) - he has never been voted in the PFA championship side, Although to his credit he did make the league 2 one just before we signed him - but in this league, he hasn't been named. 2 million is roughly the asking price of Wes Morgan, same situation 4 years older mind - but in the past 3 seasons, he has been in it twice. 

I'm not trying to down his reputation, and say 'well his **** anyway' because he is without a doubt our first choice defender/right back and is going to be missed, but in terms of cardiff what they will need to stay up - is he enough? was it 2 million well spent? we will find out, but I don't think I would be confident enough to put money on it. 

Seeing how bray gets on in prem could be useful as a guide to where we are. If he looks woefully out of place we might want promotion a little less.

However, Norwich have survived for 2 years now and there aren't many players in their team on way different level to us.

Brays will be a success for Cardiff. He's a good player. One or two have been a bit unfair with comments about him being better going forward than defending. I don't see it like that at all, he's rarely had a bad time, other than one game when Tyson took him apart!

He was a great signing, has given us great service and its about raite, the deal we've got for him.

Good luck to the bloke, he'll always be welcome back at Derby for me. At his age now is probably the time for him to test himself in the Prem, Cardiff met the valuation Derby must have had in mind and his agent would have told him what sort of wedge he would get.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back here in 3 years time to add cover to our Champions League qualification battle..........

I'm simply passing on information I've been told. Which is that John will earn nearly 20k a week at Cardiff and that was an offer he simply could not refuse.

I've also been told that the club are now looking to add a couple of players to the squad but as yet I've not been given any names of the targets.

I am sure some posters will realise I do not post regularly and only when I have been given some information.

I'm simply passing on information I've been told. Which is that John will earn nearly 20k a week at Cardiff and that was an offer he simply could not refuse.

I've also been told that the club are now looking to add a couple of players to the squad but as yet I've not been given any names of the targets.

I am sure some posters will realise I do not post regularly and only when I have been given some information.

The £20k a week is the clincher. We can't compete with that, end of.  At least we held out for a reasonable fee. We must keep our nerve as fans, we're not in the QPR or gumps, league for spunking money on players wages. All the forest gumps out there would be giving it the moral high ground if it was us begging for the sheikh's dinars to buy success.

I will just throw a negative in here, t'is the season an all.

It's an argument that is simply plagued with interpretation, but thought I would voice it anyway. Bailey and Brayford (along with Baker, and you could argue Moxey) were the players brought in by Clough that really set the foundation for his 'building a team' and a couple years on, we're going to start the season without all 4, through 4 different reasons. 

It makes this 'building a side' argument quite limited, how can we build a team where our better players will be plucked away from us, and this doesn't happen as much as other teams - namely Leeds who seem to lose every decent player they bring through, but, are we in a position where we can 'buiid a team'.

It's a disheartening thought, but, perhaps we would be better looking in the short term - when we sign this replacement, don't go for a player at the early stages in his career, who'll make mistakes - but one coming into his prime, and able to offer his full range of ability. The thing we lose out on is re-sale value, which I don't know, it could be important to us and it might not.

I think we should shelf 'building a team' and get the components into the side that can do the job, I mean, let's face it - we finish 2nd this season, win automatic promotion - the team everyone will envisage the season later will have 9/10 new faces/names in it anyway, it's the way of modern football.  

Freeman is a good defender and good going forward. I think he will be even better now that he can step out of Brayford's shadow. I will miss Bray and £2m is a decent fee. Bray definitely deserved more pay. Perhaps an increase in standard wage and also better clauses for clean sheets, assists, goals and promotion would encourage him to stay.

Perhaps the club have made a mistake in their strategy. A £120m jackpot awaits a promoted Championship club this season. This doesn't mean I think we should spend silly, but Bray was quality that we had, surely that isn't a risk? 

I suppose we all just wanted him for just one more season. 

It's an argument that is simply plagued with interpretation, but thought I would voice it anyway. Bailey and Brayford (along with Baker, and you could argue Moxey) were the players brought in by Clough that really set the foundation for his 'building a team' and a couple years on, we're going to start the season without all 4, through 4 different reasons. 

It makes this 'building a side' argument quite limited, how can we build a team where our better players will be plucked away from us, and this doesn't happen as much as other teams - namely Leeds who seem to lose every decent player they bring through, but, are we in a position where we can 'buiid a team'.

It's a disheartening thought, but, perhaps we would be better looking in the short term - when we sign this replacement, don't go for a player at the early stages in his career, who'll make mistakes - but one coming into his prime, and able to offer his full range of ability. The thing we lose out on is re-sale value, which I don't know, it could be important to us and it might not.

I think we should shelf 'building a team' and get the components into the side that can do the job, I mean, let's face it - we finish 2nd this season, win automatic promotion - the team everyone will envisage the season later will have 9/10 new faces/names in it anyway, it's the way of modern football.  

Exactly. We are building a team, of which two of our starting CM's won't be here forever, probably not even past the start of next season. 

So now Bailey is no good to us his signing on fee has become zero?!

I'm talking about any money we get in for him when he leaves which can be offset against transfer fee we paid. I"d be amazed if he left on anything other than a free.

Archived