Dynamic Pricing

JG19

Am I reading these figures right? Pretty sure the BBC website is saying in the ENTIRE football league, we are only one of THREE clubs offering a day out at the football for less than £20.

Surely that's not right?

If it is true, I don't think you can accuse our board of being greedy really, dynamic pricing or not.

You're reading it wrong. The ticket price is not included.

Idiot rabbit. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I reading these figures right? Pretty sure the BBC website is saying in the ENTIRE football league, we are only one of THREE clubs offering a day out at the football for less than £20.

Surely that's not right?

If it is true, I don't think you can accuse our board of being greedy really, dynamic pricing or not.

It quotes Derby at £7-90 (plus ticket price) for a day out, however, there are more than 3 less than £20.

For many years I believe our prices have been excellent.

I am still paying half of what I paid for tickets at Tottenham and Chelsea some 15 years ago. Granted the quality is not as good as what it was back then but sure you get my point.

What makes you say they have 'ballsed it up'?

How do you know that it has not stopped attendances from falling even further?

Does the fact that attendances are dropping across the board indicate that all clubs are 'ballsing it up'?

They should use a system similar to budget airlines , where the price is set daily by demand, this is very successful for them in filling their planes .. Imagine if Ryan Air operated a system whereby if you booked your seat (to dublin say)2-3 months in advance you could get it for say £30 (inc all extras) then ok all the people who knew exactly where and when they were going would get a ticket then , say 30% of the planes capacity .. but the price then continued to rise regardless of low demand upto say £150 a few days before and then £200 within 24 hours off departure .. then it would be no surprise that with this model they would end up with a plane thats only half full .. and they would be out of business very soon ..

If you think about it logically:

anyone who is going to every home game will get a season ticket ..

anyone who goes to most games but say doesnt go to mid week games or if its on telly on sat or sunday teatime (like.me) will get a 6 or 12 game plan (which i do)

that leaves a sizeable number of people who will go to some games but will prob not decide to go until maybe the week of the game or often the day of the game .. these are the supporters who make the difference between getting 20-22k per game and 25-28k per game ..

if you totally price them out of the picture by wanting £30 plus for a game against even the lowlier teams in the division then because of their more fickle nature (and peoples lack of spare cash at the moment) they will just think "bugger that" and they quite obviously have ..

I think it's a really good idea in principle, but I think it's failing because it's just too complicated and the ticket price range isn't wide enough.

The past few seasons we seemed to have increased attendance by giving away freebies or dirt cheap groupon deals for the less attractive fixtures – people will always go for a bargain, but the dynamic pricing doesn't seem to offer much in the way of bargains.

At best you might save a tenner if you time it right BUT the big problem with this dynamic pricing model is that, yes, people love a bargain but by the same token they don't like feeling ripped off.

So if someone goes to buy a ticket and the bloke yesterday paid a fiver less for the seat next to them, then they have a right to feel aggrieved. It's the same game with the same view. Given the factors against them at that point (the price difference, the fact that they were probably not THAT bothered about going, the fact that the majority of the football witnessed in the past couple of seasons has been mediocre) the most likely outcome is that they don't buy a ticket at all.

The dynamic pricing model for airline ticketing works more reliably because there will always be a percentage of people who HAVE to fly on a given day for one reason or another. The only people who HAVE to go to a Derby match have already bought season tickets

If you buy early you can save more than a tenner. Tickets for as little as £10 in some areas for the early purchases

Although the people who would (or could) buy a ticket 3 months in advance already have them - the season ticket holders.

Although the people who would (or could) buy a ticket 3 months in advance already have them - the season ticket holders.

That's not nevessarily the only ones that could or would. Before I was a season ticket holder I would have done it if it saved me a few bob

People who don't work Saturdays and know they can make the games could buy that far in advance

Hi, someone forwarded me this thread, so I thought I would chime in. I can't speak for the fans but my company does dynamic pricing for sports teams. If you want any information from the number crunchers for your dissertation, ask away. I'm an open book.

Less for plugging and more for disclosure, my company is Ventata.com. You can read more about what we do at [url=https://ventata.com/Events/Home.]https://ventata.com/Events/Home.

- Luke

Hi, someone forwarded me this thread, so I thought I would chime in. I can't speak for the fans but my company does dynamic pricing for sports teams. If you want any information from the number crunchers for your dissertation, ask away. I'm an open book.

Less for plugging and more for disclosure, my company is Ventata.com. You can read more about what we do at [url=https://ventata.com/Events/Home.]https://ventata.com/Events/Home.

- Luke

Luke you need to remove the aberrant full stop from the end of your url its not clickable as it is ..

East stand cat c tomorrow for one adult if you suddenly fancied the match is 37 quid. That's ridiculous. I m fairly sure we haven't sold out, so why with open seats are the ticket prices not going down. Absolute farce.

I just hate ticket prices - make every seat 20 quid for an adult, 10 quid for a concession/senior. The incentive to book earlier is getting a better seat.

Maybe it doesn't generate as much revenue as current model but additional revenue from people at games, better atmosphere contributing to better results, additional revenue from merchandise as people feel better etc

No championship game should be worth more than $12..

Not a single one.. The quality is average at best, below average most of the time and occasionally dire.. The Forest-Derby game was absolutely woeful in terms of quality..

You can get tickets alot cheaper to watch far better games elsewhere..

When I was in Chiapas I went to watch los Jaguares for 40 pesos each (around $2).. I saw better quality, better players, better looking cheerleaders.. The lot.

I know you can't compare, up and down the UK the prices are just ridiculous for the value of entertainment.. It's so much cheaper to go to the cinema and be entertained than watching 2 teams hoofing it for 90 minutes..

Article in the Independent t'other day on the subject, it was a two page spread mainly about Derby spearheading the dynamic pricing model.........

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/hei-fi/entertainment/the-price-is-really-right-8216082.html?origin=internalSearch]http://www.independent.co.uk/hei-fi/entertainment/the-price-is-really-right-8216082.html?origin=internalSearch

No championship game should be worth more than $12..

Not a single one.. The quality is average at best, below average most of the time and occasionally dire.. The Forest-Derby game was absolutely woeful in terms of quality..

You can get tickets alot cheaper to watch far better games elsewhere..

When I was in Chiapas I went to watch los Jaguares for 40 pesos each (around $2).. I saw better quality, better players, better looking cheerleaders.. The lot.

I know you can't compare, up and down the UK the prices are just ridiculous for the value of entertainment.. It's so much cheaper to go to the cinema and be entertained than watching 2 teams hoofing it for 90 minutes..

Yeah but, do you get mushy Malcolm taking penalties?

Archived