Dynamic Pricing

JG19

I am currently writing my dissertation on whether Dynamic Pricing will be adopted by the majority of British football clubs in the future. I am seeking to understand whether fans generally have a support for the system. The general feeling i have gauged from a few Derby fans has been more positive then the reaction of fans from other teams who have used Dynamic Pricing.

I would be interested to hear from fans (to use in my dissertation) to see whether they prefer the system, and whether it has had any effect on whether you attend a match or not.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is something that has been occuring in canada and the us for years in just about all the sports out here.

personally i think it's maddening and a cash grab.

the big games get jacked up in prices. now with the nfl, it's rediculious to see a say clevland browns and pittsburg steelers game. prices are out of this world in my mind.

no body cares to see like toronto fc play chivas usa, because a) they're not in the same conference 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> they're terrible c) toronto fc is horrible still. it's just an example i am using that i know of. to me it's just pure cash grabs that will actually have some fans not to bother to attend matches because they can't justify spending more money on a team that well the front office doesn't really care for.

Buy early, buy late, do what you want - without a decent side it doesn't matter what the ticket pricing policy is because as we have seen this season people are fed up with an apparent ambition to remain around midtable and are turning their backs on the club in their thousands.

I actually think it is a decent idea - I have a season ticket so it doesn't apply to me - but getting into a Championship game for 10 -15 quid is cheaper than a lot of League 2 sides.

But as I said, without something happening on the pitch you can't give 'em away!

The owners said when it was introduced it would boost attendances. Our attendances have dropped by a few thousand so far this season compared to last. So arguably it hasn't worked so far.

It's a bit if a false argument that one because we don't know what the take up would have been without it.

We are in a double dip recession and for all we know attendances may have fallen even further without the new system.

As a season ticket holder I can say that I have seen a lot of new faces round me this year compared to the usual crowd from last year. Maybe it has brought some extras in.

You'd have to be mad to buy a ticket on matchday.

I wonder how many we lose on a matchday? Bet it's a good number?

Somebody said it was £32 v Burnley or someone? So those thinking 'oh I'm off work when I didn't expect to be, might make the game' had nasty shock.

Derby v Burnley

Milan v Inter is cheaper. And the way fuel prices are... It's almost cheaper for people who live further out than Repton to fly to Italy

Its a good idea in principle .. but our club have completely ballsed it up .. hence attendances have plumetted .

What makes you say they have 'ballsed it up'?

How do you know that it has not stopped attendances from falling even further?

Does the fact that attendances are dropping across the board indicate that all clubs are 'ballsing it up'?

There are two barriers that prevent this system from working at present - the need to keep season ticket holders happy and the low demand for tickets (mix of the recession and average performances over several seasons).

As mentioned earlier, the system is incremental rather than dynamic. Prices seem to automatically rise, even if very few tickets have been sold. If low demand triggered a price reduction then gates would rise. Unfortunately, thus would also infuriate season ticket holders and lead to everyone buying their tickets at the last minute. If demand were high then neither of these things would be a problem.

It seems to me that the walk up tickets are priced too high. I've recently moved back to Derby and have been priced out of buying tickets for three games this season - impoverished research student. I just can't justify spending over £30 to watch Brighton or Blackburn. Admittedly, I could save a fiver by sitting at the top of the south-west corner, but I prefer to actually see the game. I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this boat. I never know until quite late on whether I can go so buying early or getting a multi-game plan/half season ticket is not ideal.

I'll go to Barnsley as the tickets are reasonable and I managed to get some freebies for Blackpool - but I doubt I'll ever pay over £30 to watch a game.

Not worked for me, I haven't been so far this season.

I can't book tickets in advance cause I don't know when I'm going to be working, and I'm not prepared to pay the inflated prices near the date, so they've lost quite a bit of revenue from me this season.

I understand that they don't want to be seen lowering the prices near the time, as everyone will just wait until the last minute, but so far I've not seen a proper 'demand based' price, or all the games would be cheaper as they have all been lower attendances so far.

I don't know what the answer is but the current system isn't working.

There are two barriers that prevent this system from working at present - the need to keep season ticket holders happy and the low demand for tickets (mix of the recession and average performances over several seasons).

As mentioned earlier, the system is incremental rather than dynamic. Prices seem to automatically rise, even if very few tickets have been sold. If low demand triggered a price reduction then gates would rise. Unfortunately, thus would also infuriate season ticket holders and lead to everyone buying their tickets at the last minute. If demand were high then neither of these things would be a problem.

It seems to me that the walk up tickets are priced too high. I've recently moved back to Derby and have been priced out of buying tickets for three games this season - impoverished research student. I just can't justify spending over £30 to watch Brighton or Blackburn. Admittedly, I could save a fiver by sitting at the top of the south-west corner, but I prefer to actually see the game. I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this boat. I never know until quite late on whether I can go so buying early or getting a multi-game plan/half season ticket is not ideal.

I'll go to Barnsley as the tickets are reasonable and I managed to get some freebies for Blackpool - but I doubt I'll ever pay over £30 to watch a game.

If you buy now SW upper at the back for Barnsley is £10 Brum £18, Cardiff £13 and Hull £11 and Leeds is only £21

You'd have to be mad to buy a ticket on matchday.

I wonder how many we lose on a matchday? Bet it's a good number?

Somebody said it was £32 v Burnley or someone? So those thinking 'oh I'm off work when I didn't expect to be, might make the game' had nasty shock.

Derby v Burnley

Milan v Inter is cheaper. And the way fuel prices are... It's almost cheaper for people who live further out than Repton to fly to Italy

People who live in Repton probably go to Milan for shopping not football.

Am I reading these figures right? Pretty sure the BBC website is saying in the ENTIRE football league, we are only one of THREE clubs offering a day out at the football for less than £20.

Surely that's not right?

If it is true, I don't think you can accuse our board of being greedy really, dynamic pricing or not.

Archived