Derby County v Brighton

Day

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Brighton are nothing special. Just a bunch of players that work for the team. Remind me of ipswich but of a higher standard. Still think they will fall away after the next few games. 

The arrogance/ignorance is absurd!

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say I was slightly underwhelmed by Brighton's performance. I was expecting a very dynamic team that would come and go toe to toe with us but they seemed very ordinary today...

Both their goals came against the run of play with a lot of luck involved in the 2nd. Have to say I was impressed with Wilson, seems a natural striker and will be a key player for Brighton this season. I liked the way Brighton broke with pace, that'll serve them well over the course of the season but apart from counters, they looked pretty average going forward.

Overall, I thought we deserved a win out of today. Following an excellent first half by both sides, I expected us to take the initiative and go at Brighton aggressively from the first whistle but to me we seemed to let Brighton dictate the pace (which was painfully slow for the most part). To me, it seemed Brighton were content passing it around the back waiting for a lucky break, which did eventually come. Had we taken the impetus to up the tempo and chase a 2nd goal, I have a feeling we would have taken 3 points home today because they never really looked like scoring before Van La Parra's goal.

My MotM today probably has to go to Warnock, especially 2nd half some excellent challenges. However, the best player on the pitch for me was Wilson, a real threat at all times and probably the best striker I've seen us face this season.

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

Have to say I was slightly underwhelmed by Brighton's performance. I was expecting a very dynamic team that would come and go toe to toe with us but they seemed very ordinary today...

Both their goals came against the run of play with a lot of luck involved in the 2nd. Have to say I was impressed with Wilson, seems a natural striker and will be a key player for Brighton this season. I liked the way Brighton broke with pace, that'll serve them well over the course of the season but apart from counters, they looked pretty average going forward.

Overall, I thought we deserved a win out of today. Following an excellent first half by both sides, I expected us to take the initiative and go at Brighton aggressively from the first whistle but to me we seemed to let Brighton dictate the pace (which was painfully slow for the most part). To me, it seemed Brighton were content passing it around the back waiting for a lucky break, which did eventually come. Had we taken the impetus to up the tempo and chase a 2nd goal, I have a feeling we would have taken 3 points home today because they never really looked like scoring before Van La Parra's goal.

My MotM today probably has to go to Warnock, especially 2nd half some excellent challenges. However, the best player on the pitch for me was Wilson, a real threat at all times and probably the best striker I've seen us face this season.

Hopefully United recall Wilson ASAP.

On the coach home, so will post some more detailed thoughts from an Albion perspective later on.

Quickly regarding the first half injuries, March went down grasping at his thigh in first half. Looked like a classic hamstring pull up to me. Was amazed they didn't sub him straight away, letting him carry on to end up getting stretchered off a massive, massive cock up by our medical team. He's been sensational this past month and will be a big miss. The other injury was Calderon who had to go down the tunnel for stitches. Understand the frustration on your part as he stoppages suited us for sure but I don't think it was gamesmanship. 

Anyway, will post later with thoughts on the actual game itself!

11 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Why onearth haven't United recalled Wilson? Decent finisher, with Rooney injured too you'd have thought...

Apparently with youth loans they can't be recalled until they've spent a month at the loaning club. So they've got another 2 weeks before they can recall him I believe.

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Can't comment on today Yorkshire, but based on this analysis I guess you must be pretty underwhelmed by all our away performances this season.  We haven't exactly been sweeping the opposition aside with "dynamism", and in truth I think we have looked pretty average going forward (but with a good defence, solid team shape, etc). They clearly did a reasonable job on us today.  Fair play to them.

26 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

On the coach home, so will post some more detailed thoughts from an Albion perspective later on.

Quickly regarding the first half injuries, March went down grasping at his thigh in first half. Looked like a classic hamstring pull up to me. Was amazed they didn't sub him straight away, letting him carry on to end up getting stretchered off a massive, massive cock up by our medical team. He's been sensational this past month and will be a big miss. The other injury was Calderon who had to go down the tunnel for stitches. Understand the frustration on your part as he stoppages suited us for sure but I don't think it was gamesmanship. 

i do , we were all over you in the first half , and these 'injuries' were purely to disrupt our flow ..

Even so , on the balance of play , a draw was a fair result..

Absolute , stonewall penalty ..

1 minute ago, mozza said:

i do , we were all over you in the first half , and these 'injuries' were purely to disrupt our flow ..

Even so , on the balance of play , a draw was a fair result..

Absolute , stonewall penalty ..

The handball was, swings and roundabouts as they say.

Having just seen the highlights on Channel 5 Lewis Dunk clearly handled the ball with both hands in the area and we were clearly denied a penalty by an appalling referee. All the analysis surrounded the foul on Johnny Rusell which was a clear penalty. Greer belongs on Blackpool beach not a football pitch.

53 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

I wouldn't be to critical of your medical team. When he went down it looked like his knee, I noticed your physio's testing his knee for acl damage, but his knee obviously didn't give off any obvious signs of serious damage and he looked to indicate he would try and run it off, sadly for him it didn't work, although he initially looked o.k when he came back on. 

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Having just seen the highlights on Channel 5 Lewis Dunk clearly handled the ball with both hands in the area and we were clearly denied a penalty by an appalling referee. All the analysis surrounded the foul on Johnny Rusell which was a clear penalty. Greer belongs on Blackpool beach not a football pitch.

Do you think it was deliberate handball?

14 minutes ago, YouRams said:

For how good Warnock has been lately looked so far off the pace for that second goal.

Harsh to blame Warnock, he was in ample space on the left and waiting for a simple pass. Our midfield totally messed up by first giving it away, then getting in each other's way leaving Warnock drastcally out of position.

4 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Should have been given. Both hands is deliberate. Ref was garbage. brighton palyers were going down in the first half as though they had been shot. Hughton was known at Norwich as a percentage manager and he hasn't changed.

Are you on about the same 'handball' I'm on about? Blocking Weimann on the right side of the penalty area? Because if so Dunk wasn't even looking.

Archived