Derby County v Brighton

Day

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BHAFC1 said:

Fair result but whats the story with booing an opponent being taken off on a stretcher?

Booing the ref i think.

allowed too many long stoppages in the first half.

in the end it was difficult to tell the difference between a genuine stoppage and the time wasting.

Also.....kayal wanting to fight thorne and was making out he injured march? Whereas it looked like the player just went down.

not much sympathy for stitches and a knee ligament injury!. Enjoyed the game though (certainly more than our last two visits to the Ipro - F1 A7) - lets hope our last home game of the season is not make or break for either albion or yourselves. Good luck for the rest of the season  

I thought Brighton were excellent. Emphasis was on us to beat them today and save for a softish penalty they nearly beat us.They'd take a point all day long with a 4 point gap, away from home with us to still play them away. They countered very well I thought. I can't remember us troubling their keeper much. All in all, glad for the point, important not to lose. I hope 'Boro beat Brighton as I think it important for that record to be lost sooner rather than later, they must rightly feel untouchable at the moment and that run breeds confidence in itself. I think Brighton showed their credentials today, we couldn't beat them at home so I can't see how anyone could argue they're not worthy of their place. If they can come out of Boro and QPR undefeated, its a phenomenal achievement.

Brighton the best side with seen at Pride Park this season, Kayal and Stephens were fantastic and they got so many players forward on the counter.

Ince put 100% today and was our biggest attacking threat on the wing.

Thorne and Johnson were poor today. They both looked poor in possession, were very slow in getting the ball forward, lost possession a lot and misplaced a lot of passes. We lacked a midfielder to bomb forward and link up play with Martin as the midfield were far to deep.

Defensively we were superb again. Shackell and Keogh had a tough job trying to stop Brighton's counter, but both got some key challenges in and mostly contained Brighton's attacking threat. Them two are definitely the best pairing in the Championship.

From that game I thought that we really lacked an out and out winger to beat the fullback and get the ball into the box. Ince and Weimann cut inside way to much and Brighton had so many men in the middle of the park it just made it more difficult for any attack to be created. Would love an Antonio type player to push back full backs and create space for our attackers.

Overall it was probably a fair result and a great game. We will get back to winning ways on Tuesday against Bristol.

That was interesting. Won't do a full blown match report, but I'll skim through how I saw it.

What a brilliant first half that was - the only downside was their goal. Christie getting drawn out and Murphy (I think?) exploited the space, put in a cracking cross and Wilson poked in. Great play from Wilson, splitting Keogh and Shackell, think Shackell should have been tighter to him. Keogh was forced wide to deal with the incoming Murphy.

Still, we'd dominated up to that point and we were unlucky to go behind. We pushed for the equaliser and Johnson equalised ith a towering header. When you think he's not the tallest, he's a big threat at set pieces. Before their goal Shackell had a header cleared off the line.

Second half, less happened than in the first and the game sort of drew to a halt. Not ure if that was Clement's idea. But low and behold, it takes Brighton scoring to get us going. van La Parra thrashing the ball into the net on a counter. Warnock should have been back to deal with it at that point, but wasn't. It was good defending by Keogh, Shackell and Thorne before that to stop the counter attack. Was not happy to see Hendrick just lightly jogging back when the Brighton player ebat him to the ball and ran passed him about 3 yards away.

Couldn't believe it when we were given the penalty, but then I saw the replay and thought it was a good decision - how often do you see those not given.

Final score 2-2.

Probably the right result, but I think we shaded the game in terms of possession. I can see why Brightonare up at the top - they are brilliant at pouncing on the mistakes of other teams, like Billy Davies' Derby team but without any of the boredom.

Played well - Shackell, Keogh, Thorne, Johnson (first half).
Mixed - Butterfield, Ince, Warnock, Christie, Grant, Martin.
Poor - Weimann, Russell, Hendrick, Johnson (second half).

We move on. We'll catch them - injuries already starting to bite.

Also, what was with the booing the guy on the stretcher? If he needs a stretcher he's obviously injured! We don't half have some ***** at our place

4 minutes ago, BHAFC1 said:

not much sympathy for stitches and a knee ligament injury!. Enjoyed the game though (certainly more than our last two visits to the Ipro - F1 A7) - lets hope our last home game of the season is not make or break for either albion or yourselves. Good luck for the rest of the season  

No-one wants to see a knee ligament injury.

we've had three - to thorne, hughes and forsyth.

But thats consistent with him going down rather than being deliberately hurt by thorne.

3 minutes ago, BHAFC1 said:

Got say the Brighton fans that have joined this board have come across as a decent bunch, it would be very easy for fans of another team to just come on and post tripe, good luck to you as well mate, I actually posted on here at the start of the season Brighton were my dark horses but I never expected you to be where you are currently, fair play to you. 

No way were Brighton the best team to come to the iPro this season. Thought they werent that great at the back and most of their game was sitting with 10 or 11 in their half then punting it into channels and certain players sprinting onto the ball rather than any real creativity and threat.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The most solid counter attacking team we've seen in ages. They just seem to sit on the ball and bait you into breaking shape and then they hit quickly. Yet we've scored 2 and created more chances than in other games but I think that's down to how well we played at times rather than any fault on them. 

I think Johnson or Butterfield should get closer to Martin because sometimes it's easy to trap our midfield in a 10 yard perimeter. Thorne being tightly marked should be working in other players favour. Especially the CB's who really don't need Thorne as much as they make out. 

Nice to see Ince play with some fire in his belly. 

Was a good tactical stand off at some points and then it was full on assault at other points. 

We're too one sided at times. It's ok most the time having a winger close to Martin but sometimes the lack of width provided by the left flank becomes a bit of a problem as we're basically stuck. Maybe should have mixed that up a bit. 

Enjoyed the game.

Brighton are up in the top 6 to stay. Too solid and attack too quickly for most the garbage in this league. And while I thought we controlled the majority of the game and had the best chances... It felt like we could be hit at any point. 

As usual Alpha an excellent analysis. I think it might have been a different Game if Shackles header had gone in or that bursting run through from Johnson had resulted in goals. There were patches in both halves were we seemed to loose our positive instincts and we saw a few silly little nudged passes between Shacks and Keogh reminding me of last season's failings. Thought Ince had a good game. Would have liked to have seen Bent on 10 mins earlier and Johnny seems to have lost the impact his energy has given him in other games. Still not convinced that Butterfield and Johnson work particularly well together and we were much better when Butters went wide and Ince came more central. Brighton were a real team working as a unit, attacking our players on the ball in packs forcing us to make errors. Thorne not at his best and both he and Johnson were sloppy at times but maybe that should be a credit to Brighton ... Anyway other than Hull our rivals had similar days by the looks of things ..... Onwards for a thumping win on Tuesday please lads 

Putting my referee's hat on for a moment  Lee Mason got both penalty decisions spot on the first one even though it struck his hand it came to quickly and from a short distance not allowing him to get out of the way.

The second the challenge was reckless and a little late penalty all day long.

Result I thought was fair they looked a good compacted unit and we were someway below our best which we have been for awhile but Ince far more lively is a good thing.

Need a win Tuesday now and maybe a shake up of a couple of players.

I don't think anyone can deny Brighton deserve to be where they are.

I just don't think they're particularly great. You could call it luck ,riding on the crest of a wave or simply being clinical when the opportunity arises...

But I've seen so many better Championship teams over the years sitting at the top at this stage.

In fact, other than Cardiff City a few years ago and Derby under Billy Davies, I can't remember seeing such an average team at the top. What does that tell us?

If they play like that everygame, I can actually see them going up quite comfortably. Not many teams will carve out the chances we had, and we're defensively decent.

Yet they arguably should have won. I bet a number of their wins have been so routine this season. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just don't think they're particularly great. You could call it luck ,riding on the crest of a wave or simply being clinical when the opportunity arises...

But I've seen so many better Championship teams over the years sitting at the top at this stage.

In fact, other than Cardiff City a few years ago and Derby under Billy Davies, I can't remember seeing such an average team at the top. What does that tell us?

If they play like that everygame, I can actually see them going up quite comfortably. Not many teams will carve out the chances we had, and we're defensively decent.

Yet they arguably should have won. I bet a number of their wins have been so routine this season. 

But I don't believe they've won by more than a goal

Just now, Srg said:

But I don't believe they've won by more than a goal

They haven't, they're the weirdest team to be sitting at the top. I don't understand, it's like some sort of glitch especially with Leicester top of the Premier League too.

Makes for interesting football though. I like Brighton, hope they can keep it up.

2 minutes ago, cunningplan said:

Albion supporter here....

If support is key to promotion this season, I reckon we'll both go up!

Both teams played well and respect to the Rams team and supporters, apart from the neanderthals booing a 21 year old Albion player being stretchered off the pitch.

I could be wrong, but I thought they were booing the referee due to a number of frustrating stoppages.

If they booed the player, that's bang out of order and completely ridiculous. Good luck for the season!

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

No stars, but the team as a whole is far greater than the sum of the individual players; a bit like Bournemouth last season, but sadly not so prolific in front of goal.

Hendrick was nothing short of awful when he came on. 

Showed what I have been saying all along. He should be nowhere near the side.

The guy is a liability. He didnt want to be out there today.

Watch their 2nd goal again. Whilst it was a combination of Hendrick and Johnson who gave the ball away. Watch Hendricks reaction.

Not one tiny bit of effort put in to win the ball back or even try to. I thought that was disgraceful. I said it at the time that Hendrick made no effort to chase the ball back, but watching the highlights make it even worse. 

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I could be wrong, but I thought they were booing the referee due to a number of frustrating stoppages.

If they booed the player, that's bang out of order and completely ridiculous. Good luck for the season!

Fair enough, but despite being short sighted, I could see the stretcher being prepared... and he had clearly been carrying an injury before being taken off.

But of course, all clubs have that element - and Derby County is surely a premiership club in waiting. Good luck, apart from in the return fixture!

Archived