Derby County v Brighton

Day

46 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

Life ban please. No place for any kind of -isms in football.

Can't we keep just a small amount of sexism in football?

I don't want the missus to think her place is at the I-Pro, rather than the I-roning board.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Funniest thing at match yesterday was a fan three rows behind me blaming Grant for not coming out for the first goal.... Just looked at him and shook my head... Just got to appreciate a good goal... :blink:

Having travelled up 200 miles to watch this I had the unfortunate experience to sit in front of three members of the Adams family. The son (I assume) was effing & blinding about Derby to & with his Mother the whole game.  They literally did nothing but moan and criticize. Should have said something but didn't want the inevitable confrontation etc. from Neanderthals. I kid you not there was not one word of praise for any player or any move Derby made. So, if you lot are on here (I cant imagine they are)  and you sit in Block C Upper Row F Seats 75- 77................What a shame you missed the equaliser in your haste to get out and stop witnessing Derby's "Effin Rubbish" performance.:angry:

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Having travelled up 200 miles to watch this I had the unfortunate experience to sit in front of three members of the Adams family. The son (I assume) was effing & blinding about Derby to & with his Mother the whole game.  They literally did nothing but moan and criticize. Should have said something but didn't want the inevitable confrontation etc. from Neanderthals. I kid you not there was not one word of praise for any player or any move Derby made. So, if you lot are on here (I cant imagine they are)  and you sit in Block C Upper Row F Seats 75- 77................What a shame you missed the equaliser in your haste to get out and stop witnessing Derby's "Effin Rubbish" performance.:angry:

That is comedy gold!

Yesterday, Brighton clearly did their homework and I was impressed with their approach to the game and they highlighted, for me, where we need to improve in January.

We have a great spine at the minute. A top goalkeeper in Carson and arguably the best understudy in the league in Grant. Thorne is amongst the best CDMs in the league and for any other team, losing a player of Hughes' calibre would be a complete disaster but we still have Johnson, Hendrick, Bryson and Butterfield to choose from with Hanson proving himself to be an emerging talent.

Martin may be out of form, but despite losing his touch yesterday, he scored a penalty convincingly and was involved in almost all of our attacks. And as for Keogh and Shackell's partnership, nothing more needs to be said about their consistency this season.

It's that spine of the team that has got us to where we are. Clement's organised them well and it's evident they know their jobs well. Having that solid centre highlights where we're weakest, and that's clearly down the flanks. We're good enough to be right in the automatic race as things stand, but we really need to look to improve in the wide areas in January if we want to get some breathing space.

Brighton impressed me by forcing Butterfield and Johnson to either play too deep, where they trampled over Thorne, or too wide, where they got in the way of the wingers and full-backs. Warnock's individual performances have been superb since Forsyth's injury, but we need someone who can last the season and get up and down the wings quicker - which brings me to my next point, Cyrus Christie, who has almost the exact opposite problem. Christie relies on his pace too much to get himself out of trouble, and the odd run where he confuses the opposition by dribbling terribly and forcing his way until the final third masks his true performances. We need a more intelligent player there who's more solid defensively - a right-footed Forsyth, please.

As for the wingers, I'm absolutely convinced that this is our number one priority anyway. In every other position we have a clear first choice and an obvious understudy, but we have only one back-up wide player at any given time. Ince is a marked man this season and is struggling to cope with that and our more regimented structure, but he'll find form. But when Russell's out of form, we might as well play with ten men and I can only attribute Weimann's popularity to Tito-Villa-syndrome. His huffing and puffing can make the difference in tight games, and I admit he has a goal in him, but I see him as a Conor Sammon upgrade rather than a first-choice winger.

We can still go up automatically with the team as it is, because we've caught up with the top teams just through gelling. But we should always be looking to improve, and I feel a strong central defensive pairing and central midfield is carrying us a bit at the minute. 

14 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Clement must sort out our midfield. Brighton pressed high up the field to nullify Thorne. As a result Johnson was dropping deep to take the ball from the defence and Thorne was effectively standing there as a third centre half leaving us out numbered in the midfield.Clement was late in taking him off and moving to a 4-4-2 formation.

Derby 4-3-3 bossed the midfield against a 4-4-2/4-2-4. But were dispossessed and lost the ball signficantly more (18 times) and both times for the Brighton goals (Brighton resemble a Brian Clough side in this respect, not like a Chris Hughton side at all). Selective pressing (in groups, continental style) as pressing for the whole match is rarely possible. Thorne had more possession than Kayal and Stephens put together. 

Looks like any side that can put a run together will be with a chance.  

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

Yesterday, Brighton clearly did their homework and I was impressed with their approach to the game and they highlighted, for me, where we need to improve in January.

We have a great spine at the minute. A top goalkeeper in Carson and arguably the best understudy in the league in Grant. Thorne is amongst the best CDMs in the league and for any other team, losing a player of Hughes' calibre would be a complete disaster but we still have Johnson, Hendrick, Bryson and Butterfield to choose from with Hanson proving himself to be an emerging talent.

Martin may be out of form, but despite losing his touch yesterday, he scored a penalty convincingly and was involved in almost all of our attacks. And as for Keogh and Shackell's partnership, nothing more needs to be said about their consistency this season.

It's that spine of the team that has got us to where we are. Clement's organised them well and it's evident they know their jobs well. Having that solid centre highlights where we're weakest, and that's clearly down the flanks. We're good enough to be right in the automatic race as things stand, but we really need to look to improve in the wide areas in January if we want to get some breathing space.

Brighton impressed me by forcing Butterfield and Johnson to either play too deep, where they trampled over Thorne, or too wide, where they got in the way of the wingers and full-backs. Warnock's individual performances have been superb since Forsyth's injury, but we need someone who can last the season and get up and down the wings quicker - which brings me to my next point, Cyrus Christie, who has almost the exact opposite problem. Christie relies on his pace too much to get himself out of trouble, and the odd run where he confuses the opposition by dribbling terribly and forcing his way until the final third masks his true performances. We need a more intelligent player there who's more solid defensively - a right-footed Forsyth, please.

As for the wingers, I'm absolutely convinced that this is our number one priority anyway. In every other position we have a clear first choice and an obvious understudy, but we have only one back-up wide player at any given time. Ince is a marked man this season and is struggling to cope with that and our more regimented structure, but he'll find form. But when Russell's out of form, we might as well play with ten men and I can only attribute Weimann's popularity to Tito-Villa-syndrome. His huffing and puffing can make the difference in tight games, and I admit he has a goal in him, but I see him as a Conor Sammon upgrade rather than a first-choice winger.

We can still go up automatically with the team as it is, because we've caught up with the top teams just through gelling. But we should always be looking to improve, and I feel a strong central defensive pairing and central midfield is carrying us a bit at the minute. 

I now know why you call yourself duracell

8 minutes ago, Perseus said:

Derby 4-3-3 bossed the midfield against a 4-4-2/4-2-4. But were dispossessed and lost the ball signficantly more (18 times) and both times for the Brighton goals (Brighton resemble a Brian Clough side in this respect, not like a Chris Hughton side at all). Selective pressing (in groups, continental style) as pressing for the whole match is rarely possible. Thorne had more possession than Kayal and Stephens put together. 

Looks like any side that can put a run together will be with a chance.  

Do we really play 4-3-3?

Or is it 4-3-2-1?

As we are always set up for Martin up there as a holding CF, when the midfield is caught deep, it leaves Martin too isolated, perhaps we would go true 4-3-3 but there again we probably wouldn't use Martin in that set up?

1 hour ago, HeyHudson said:

Foul on Russell for the penalty looks nasty here (ball well gone, studs up, halfway up the leg).

I thought it was a penalty....

But I quite want the referees new eyesight technology where the referee takes a still frame photo with his eyes to prove he was right and let someone on the internet he was right too....

Unbelievable

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 21:30, Bris Vegas said:

Harsh to blame Warnock, he was in ample space on the left and waiting for a simple pass. Our midfield totally messed up by first giving it away, then getting in each other's way leaving Warnock drastcally out of position.

I wasn't solely blaming him, just had an unfortunate camera angle on him for the goal where you see him struggling even at jogging pace behind the player.

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

I thought it was a penalty....

But I quite want the referees new eyesight technology where the referee takes a still frame photo with his eyes to prove he was right and let someone on the internet he was right too....

Unbelievable

As a Brighton supporter, I agree that on balance it was a penalty; not blatantly obvious, but yes it was a penalty. Like everyone on here, I have seen them given and also seen them refused. As regards the still, the angle is everything and as a result inconclusive....

Most importantly, it was a good game between two talented sides and a fair result. 

15 hours ago, super rams said:

Do we really play 4-3-3?

Or is it 4-3-2-1?

As we are always set up for Martin up there as a holding CF, when the midfield is caught deep, it leaves Martin too isolated, perhaps we would go true 4-3-3 but there again we probably wouldn't use Martin in that set up?

Certainly not the classic 4-3-3 of old. But still Thorne, Butterfield and Johnson v Kayal & Stephens. Brighton played two men wide and sacrficed the midfield dominancy, which may have been choice or may have been dictated by injuries. It worked for the first goal when having a winger when Christie pushed too far forward (just out of position really). 

4 minutes ago, cunningplan said:

As a Brighton supporter, I agree that on balance it was a penalty; not blatantly obvious, but yes it was a penalty. Like everyone on here, I have seen them given and also seen them refused. As regards the still, the angle is everything and as a result inconclusive....

Most importantly, it was a good game between two talented sides and a fair result. 

It was daft challenge by Greer because he was simply too slow. Not as daft as Upson in the play-offs though. 

Archived