Derby County v Brighton

Day

36 minutes ago, ram.in.a.van said:

Enjoyed the first half.

Ince and Martin have both turned up and not so predictable. Looks like they've been working on the rhrough balls.

Predict Ince to score the winner.

COYR!

I'm sorry but Ince couldn't score in the proverbial brothel at the moment 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disappointed with a few aspects. For 60 minutes we were by far the better team and really should have been ahead, yet that last 30 minutes was played at snails pace.

Both of Brighton's goals came out of nowhere, the second in particular riled me. Goerge Thorne was awful, I'm sorry but he was terrible and kept giving the ball away. That 2nd goal was him losing it so easily in midfield.

Good fight back to get back into, finally showed a bit of urgency.

Goals change games, and both of Brighton's came at really odd times. 

Ince for me played very well, just flopped his chances. I tell you what, trade van La Parra and Dale Stephens for Weimann and Thorne and we would have won that comfortably.

Hard to put my finger on Brighton. I saw no real qualities in their team, yet I saw no real weaknesses either. Better finishing and we would have won easily, yet we arguably should have lost.

Will take the point and move on. Tough game. We didn't lose, still 4 points from Brighton. Only Hull of the other top 5 won, so we're pretty much we are, just down to 4th on goal difference. We could/should have won it. We were so lethargic before they scored, losing the ball in midfield, passing around like we were 4-0 up with 2 minutes to go.

Penalty in my opinion was debatable. I watched on a stream and the angle was from the stand furthest from Russell's side. If it was given against us I'd have been disappointed personally but not complaining. Ince looked better, few bright moments where he could have scored. Martin had a frustrating game, his reaction to the goal shows how much it meant and hopefully give him a bit of confidence now.

Shackell was absolutely fantastic, he would be my man of the match. Countless late blocks and just an all round indispensable asset for us this season.

Overall, after going behind twice you'd have to be happy with a point and you certainly can't write Brighton off. They didn't look out of place. Tuesday sees Boro play Burnley, Brighton away to QPR. Good chance to push on.

I did warn everyone about Brighton's qualities before the game, they shouldn't be a good team but they most certainly are. I can't see them falling away. I'd trade Dunk & Stephens for any two of our players. Great courage by Martin with the penalty, looked on stream a little fortunate to me. A point shared was probably fair result, but we needed the win at home really.

I thought we gave the ball away too easy. Too many flicks up front not working. I can see why Brighton are unbeaten they're difficult to break down. We could've beaten them or they could've beaten us. I thought we were better first half but dropped off as the second half went on.  I think we should have won.

No problems with the result, we created enough chances to win this, Ince better this game but needs to take his chances.

I just don't know why we sort of switch off in games -needs addressing  - but overall we nicked a pen and they nicked a draw.

I can see why they are unbeaten and I don't know if they will drop away, they lady luck at the moment.

We have to take 3 pts on Tuesday!!!!

Grant - 5 - flapped at a cross and never as confident in his communication as Carson

Warnock - 6.5 - acres of space first half, looked a tactical choice on their part

Shackell - 6 - Steady

Keogh - 6.5 - added some urgency at times well

Christie - 6 - did ok, looked like they game planned to stop him bombing on.

Thorne - 6.5 - didn't demand it enough first half and allowed Johnson to do more

Johnson - 5 - good goal but poor in possession, got caught several times and extremely laborious in deep areas first half

Butterfield - 5 - Anonymous for the most part

Ince - 6.5 - better from him today, a threat throughout and a couple of chances which would've gone in last year. 

Weimann - 5.5 - didn't do enough, * on occasion. 

Martin - 6 - needs to hold it sometimes and not always go for the one touch stuff. 

Was as a game for me where the team played ok without any outstanding individual displays. 

For Brighton's credit, they're riding the crest of a wave and thought the knocked it around well early on. After that, we afforded them too much time second half and they didn't trouble us too much. Did they score their only 2 shots on target? When you're going as well as they are, you take the two chances you get. Another day, probably not. 

Don't like to do it, but I will say the referee was horrendous. Wrong on so many occasions, I can barely remember them to list them. Blatant penalty for handball and the obvious corner from a deflection on Ince's shot were the two worst... But not good all round. 

One thing I feel we should do more often is allow Keogh to drive through midfield. Thorne is often tightly marked, and as he drops in the CB role there is so much space for one of the defenders to push up.

Keogh is undoubtedly comfortable on the ball, and he can pick a pass. There was one occasion today that he drove forward and sprayed a great ball out to Warnock.

Our end product was poor, it's funny for the amount of chances we created in open play, our two goals came virtue of a corner and penalty - doesn't reflect how the game went at all.

I felt our slow play was largely because our midfielders dropped too deep. Johnson is a beast in the final third, why he was playing on Shackell's toes in the second half I do not know..

Still disappointed. It's hard to give credit to Brighton, I don't mean that in a nasty way. They're a decent outfit, I just didn't see anything about them to really judge.

Both their goals came out of nowehere (the first was an excellent ball in and finish) whereas we created enough chances to score more, so it's not like I can praise their amazing ability at the back.

Oh well... 

One final comment: That was the worst I've ever seen Thorne play, like ever... Such a good player, such a horrid afternoon for him.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bradley Johnson has been in beast mode so far going forward, dodgy defensively I'd be wary of him getting sent off. Butterfield relatively quiet.

Surprised me that Christie hasn't been used much either. Most of our attacks are going down our left.

So torn about him. Sure he is big, strong, causes problems, scored a cracking goal..but he was instrumental in setting up their 2nd goal and gave to ball away just before their first to set up and Brighton passage of play too. Frustrating. Agree about George too. Poor game. Expect so much more from him. Dithered quite a bit today. 

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

So torn about him. Sure he is big, strong, causes problems, scored a cracking goal..but he was instrumental in setting up their 2nd goal and gave to ball away just before their first to set up and Brighton passage of play too. Frustrating. 

I **** the bed every time he gets the ball in our own half. Not a good player when he has time to think. 

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

Grant - 5 - flapped at a cross and never as confident in his communication as Carson

Warnock - 6.5 - acres of space first half, looked a tactical choice on their part

Shackell - 6 - Steady

Keogh - 6.5 - added some urgency at times well

Christie - 6 - did ok, looked like they game planned to stop him bombing on.

Thorne - 6.5 - didn't demand it enough first half and allowed Johnson to do more

Johnson - 5 - good goal but poor in possession, got caught several times and extremely laborious in deep areas first half

Butterfield - 5 - Anonymous for the most part

Ince - 6.5 - better from him today, a threat throughout and a couple of chances which would've gone in last year. 

Weimann - 5.5 - didn't do enough, * on occasion. 

Martin - 6 - needs to hold it sometimes and not always go for the one touch stuff. 

Was as a game for me where the team played ok without any outstanding individual displays. 

For Brighton's credit, they're riding the crest of a wave and thought the knocked it around well early on. After that, we afforded them too much time second half and they didn't trouble us too much. Did they score their only 2 shots on target? When you're going as well as they are, you take the two chances you get. Another day, probably not. 

Don't like to do it, but I will say the referee was horrendous. Wrong on so many occasions, I can barely remember them to list them. Blatant penalty for handball and the obvious corner from a deflection on Ince's shot were the two worst... But not good all round. 

Which handball?

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

So torn about him. Sure he is big, strong, causes problems, scored a cracking goal..but he was instrumental in setting up their 2nd goal and gave to ball away just before their first to set up and Brighton passage of play too. Frustrating. 

I feel he's played too deep. Butterfield is the better ball-player, but he always seems ahead of Johnson it's strange. That 2nd goal was a calamity from all of our midfielders, they were waiting for a foul.

It was entirely avoidable and I bet Clement will be so annoyed by that. Then again, it needed for them to score to kick us back into gear somewhat. The game was drifting towards a 1-1 from 60 mins onwards.

think they'll be carrying a few injuries into Tuesday night away at QPR - maybe that'll be when the unbeaten run ends. 

Overall today mixed feelings - overall we were the better team and loved Johnsons determination for the goal. They really looked dangerous on the break comig through midfield but we have an excellent defence this season. 

Ince was much improved - midweek could be very interesting 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Early second half, looked pretty blatant in front of us. Obviously, no benefit of a replay but in real time I was shocked he didn't give it. 

I was watching a stream. From a cross from the right? If it was that one I wouldn't have given it there was nothing he could do to get out the way. Although my stream was fuzzy and I'm not 100% where it hit him but it was fired from fairly close range. 

1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

I was watching a stream. From a cross from the right? If it was that one I wouldn't have given it there was nothing he could do to get out the way. Although my stream was fuzzy and I'm not 100% where it hit him but it was fired from fairly close range. 

Looked like he made a move to it, certainly seen them given, and it was like he was 5 yards away. 

Archived