Sick Doughty chants

I have had time to sleep on this now and while I won't condone the behaviour of some of our fans last night nor will I accept a Forest fan coming on our board slating our fans for chanting about Nigel Doughty.

Take a few minutes to think why it was that a man who had pumped so many millions into your club felt he could not even attend the ground anymore. Whilst some of the chanting done last night was in poor taste, the most sickening thing of the night was watching 4,500 fans standing there singing praise about a man that they probably forced to an early grave.

All that aside lets get back to what the majority of our fans go to the matches for, the football. I'll start us off by asking how it makes your feel that your teams only real tactic last night seemed to be to scythe down Nathan Tyson at every given opportunity?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on matchday chat and we were all appalled by what was happening around this time. Such chants are never justifiable and can never be shrugged off as "just a bit of fun". It is the herd mentality similar to the one last year which saw perfectly respectable folk rushing through broken shop windows to steal half a pair of trainers because they thought they could. If the CCTV showed whoever instigated this chant and made an example of them it may have the desired effect. A lifetime ban would be neither an over or knee-jerk reaction and served cold may make others think first before engaging their mouths.

I'm sure we all hate the monkey chants that we sometimes hear at internationals. Anything that can isolate the tiny mindless minority can only be good for the game.

I was sat in the South West corner and heard it all pretty clearly, it was distasteful and I don't condone the reletively small group of idiots who sang it. As a lot of people have already pointed out a lot of Red Dog fans wanted him dead so they shouldn't now decide to be hypocrits and treat the man like he was the almighty. He was exactly that, a man, and they are prone to mistakes which in his time as chairman he made. Instead of excepting that fact, you ****** hounded him to the point where he no longer felt it was safe for him to watch his beloved team. Sticking up for him now doesn't reverse what you did to contribute to his early passing...

As at any club there are a number of f**king ****** who chant vile stuff like this probably without even thinking about it or even understanding what they are saying. Forest are not above reproach for some of the things their fans have aimed at the likes of Chris Commons and Leicester fans in the past but I like to think we Rams fans are better than that. Lets hope the club don;t get in trouble as a result - that would be grossly unfair.

I was on matchday chat and we were all appalled by what was happening around this time. Such chants are never justifiable and can never be shrugged off as "just a bit of fun". It is the herd mentality similar to the one last year which saw perfectly respectable folk rushing through broken shop windows to steal half a pair of trainers because they thought they could. If the CCTV showed whoever instigated this chant and made an example of them it may have the desired effect. A lifetime ban would be neither an over or knee-jerk reaction and served cold may make others think first before engaging their mouths.

I'm sure we all hate the monkey chants that we sometimes hear at internationals. Anything that can isolate the tiny mindless minority can only be good for the game.

Lifetime ban, you have got to be joking.

Lets ban every fan who sang about Munich or leeds fans in Turkey or Commons baby or Gary Speed etc etc.

I don't condone what was sung nor would I join in, but the over reaction and hypocrisy about it stinks.

All in my humble opinion of course.

I won't condone the chanting, as I find it distasteful to sing about anyones passing.

However, I suggest the Forrest fans take a long hard look at themselves before pointing any fingers. Especially re Commons miscarriage, and their chants re Doherty while he was still alive.

Also, I suggest the Rams fans so quick to condemn also take a trip back down memory lane to a time when we almost to a man found it acceptable to sing about the passing of one of our previous chairman who fell off a boat.

I can't remember any backlash like this, although given new technology it gives anyone an opportunity to respond, but the radio wasn't full of the self righteous then was it.

As I said, it doesn't make it right, and we hopefully have moved on as a sport, but the reaction is was ott for me.

Yes its unfortunate that these songs were sung in bad taste, but it boils my blood the way forest fans (and that knob blackstock) are attempting to take the moral high ground. Ironically there's a good chance that the treatment of Doughty by forest fans could be a factor in his unfortunate death.

I wasn't aware of the scum singing let him die to Barker, but a reddog mate of mine has said 'some forest tw@ts started it' so they can't act all angelic and pretend to be such great fans.

The commons thing is sick. In my opinion its worse, much worse. No one deserves to be targeted over something so upsetting.

When I spoke to my reddog pal last night he said he'd always supported Doughty unlike a lot of fans and there were too many hypocrites supporting forest.

The thing I feel worst about is that I'm sure some of the Doughty family were probably there. Not nice to hear.

Having said that, boot on the other foot blah, blah, blah. Unfortunately this is a fixture that brings the worst out of most people, players and managers included.

Yes we have our fair share of ****** and I neve stated it was a majority. It was however a significant minorities. Your own fans that sat in that corner will tell you of they're being honest that most there did join in with the chants. It happens at every club but I have never seen it on such a large scale.

I assume you were absent at your home ground when your fans were giving the late Mr Doughty (RIP) a hard time then. I've read the majority of your posts and may I put it to you that your sole intention on joining this forum was to discredit our club or it's fans but I'm glad to write you have failed miserably.

Show me a club that doesn't have an element of helmets in their fanbase and I'll show you a club with no fans. By the way, are you familiar with an old saying about people and glass houses ?...check it out before you come back on here with your old toot about being horrified by chants you paragon of virtue.

Sick and should be dealt with accordingly.

Blown out of proportion though, doesnt help Forest fans crying their eyes out over it either, 2 months ago some of them did want him dead. Hipocrits!

Soon to forget their own sick chants.

Just like the minority that made the chants last night, those Forest fans were in a minority.

If some Derby fans wanted Tom Glick to die, and then you complained that Forest fans were chanting about his death, would that make you a hippocrite if you were saddened of his death? No, it wouldn't.

Just because a few Forest fans, like us, are *****, does not give us the right to say they can't complain.

It was more than a 100 odd idiot's, its was a lot more. I was in the south stand right near the Forest support and it was a very loud chant and I hope the club issue's a apology about it. There's no moral high ground for Forest fan's to take here for the reasons that have already been posted but that doesn't excuse these moronic chants. I had a horrible feeling the combination of anger, alcohol, emotion and a general lack of intelligence would lead to some chanting about Mr doughty but I never expected so many to join in. Annoyed aint the word this morning as this is overshadowing a big win for us.

Just like the minority that made the chants last night, those Forest fans were in a minority.

If some Derby fans wanted Tom Glick to die, and then you complained that Forest fans were chanting about his death, would that make you a hippocrite if you were saddened of his death? No, it wouldn't.

Just because a few Forest fans, like us, are *****, does not give us the right to say they can't complain.

They have a right to complain, but they've blown it a bit out of proportion accusing everyone associated with the club of chanting. They also seem to ignore the fact they chanted 'let him die' to Barker.

I think part of the issue is this RIP ND poster came on here on a moral crusade, a bit odd really as everyone has said the chanting was wrong and in bad taste - I have not read anyone say that they took part in it yet he/she continued to rail on about it as though they were talking to the people making the chant - made no sense, and I lost count of how many times (on another thread) they were told that people on here thought it was wrong - he/she said it was happening on the train home as well, if you feel so strongly you should have stood up and told the fans who were singing it what you thought.

Archived