Sick Doughty chants

yes it was bad and im sure there will be some fans who now wish they hadnt sang it.To ban people would be stupid.People get carried away in the heat of the moment and do and say things they shouldnt.I have and im sure most of you have.It was a fiery atmosphere last night.

fo**st fans shouldnt get carried away with trying to claim the moral high ground either.Their chants to Commons about his baby were sick too.They also hated doughty so their compassion for a dead man is rather hollow.

I also doubt they would be kicking up such a fuss if they had won.....but they didnt.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad taste, but that's football for you. I ain't going to get sensitive over it - I didn't over the Commons chants, or the Barker chants or Leeds/Leicester/Millwall chanting about old man Clough.

Apologising for it is a bit over the top - the club can't control what some fans are going to say/chant/shout and fans asking for those who joined in to be banned and the club fined need to get a grip - likelyhood is there are a small number of people sick enough to think it's funny who enjoy this kind of thing, whilst the majority who joined in will have just got caught up in the atmosphere and tribalism that this game above all others brings out in people and punishing fans or the club for stuff like this which isn't racist/sexist/homophobic is wrong. It is in my opinion in bad taste, but bad taste isn't grounds for punishment else the road it leads you down is one where you can't say anything at all.

Blackstock, Cotterill and the Forest fans whingeing to every journo on Fleet Street about the awful terrible Derby fans need to, in Blackstocks case remember his place, in Cotterills case stop trying to deflect attention away from the worst Forest side i've seen in 10 years and in their fans case remember it's football, passions run high and all clubs, yes even your own sweet little darlings, have undesirables following them, but the vast majority are decent folks.

I for one am not going to let this overshadow a great win and great night for Derby County.

Did anyone really expect anything else?

He was a middle-aged multi-millionaire that chose to take his own life. Hardly Dunblane.

Commons one was worse as he was there in the flesh to take it whilst still grieving.

He didn't take his own life at all

Would the Red Dogs be complained so venomously if they'd won??? Something makes me doubt that, this again shows them up to be the idiots we know they are. Using the memory of the deceased to try and score the moral high ground because they're unable to argue they deserved anything from the game. Pretty sick really

he didnt take his own life.

This is going to be blown out of all proportion,no doubt be the talking point on tonights news.Did Derby demand an apology off leeds when they were chanting about Clough? No,they didnt.It was wrong,simple as that.I know Doughtys dad was at the game and was upset about it and he has my sympathy,but this was a local Derby,a packed house and a lot of tension,emotion (and alcohol~).

move on

The onus is now on the club to come forward with an apology. I don't think it's fair that the club has to take the responsibility for what a minority of probably alcohol fuelled 'fans' did.

Whoever did it, thanks. Your juvenile actions have tarred us all with the same brush.

And Mr Cotterill thinks 'Derby fans should be ashamed of themselves'? I'm not - as I did nothing wrong. I still wore my DCFC coat on the school run this morning and noticed I was on the recieving end of a few condemning looks. Not bothered, I will still wear it as I support Derby County and refuse to let what went off last night spoil what was a great, well deserved victory.

I didn't envy TG having to sit with the forest suits while this was happening. That must have been really embarrassing - I wouldn't have known where to put me face and so now he has to say sorry on behalf of whoever did it. That sucks. Whoever did it should apologise for their own actions, not let the club do their dirty work.

We're a bit of a laughing stock all over the media today 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Only the idiots are the laughing stock, the real fans should enjoy the pride they feel at the first double over Forest in 40 years 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

The onus is now on the club to come forward with an apology. I don't think it's fair that the club has to take the responsibility for what a minority of probably alcohol fuelled 'fans' did.

Whoever did it, thanks. Your juvenile actions have tarred us all with the same brush.

And Mr Cotterill thinks 'Derby fans should be ashamed of themselves'? I'm not - as I did nothing wrong. I still wore my DCFC coat on the school run this morning and noticed I was on the recieving end of a few condemning looks. Not bothered, I will still wear it as I support Derby County and refuse to let what went off last night spoil what was a great, well deserved victory.

I didn't envy TG having to sit with the forest suits while this was happening. That must have been really embarrassing - I wouldn't have known where to put me face and so now he has to say sorry on behalf of whoever did it. That sucks. Whoever did it should apologise for their own actions, not let the club do their dirty work.

We're a bit of a laughing stock all over the media today 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Think he is getting Derby fans and Forest players mixed up. Has he come and out apologised for the way his players hacked away at Tyson one after another? If he concentrated on football then maybe neither of his last two teams would be in the bottom 5 of this division.

I wasn't expecting all of this when I come on here this morning!

I was in the NE corner and to be honest I wasn't at all shocked or the slightest bit bothered when I heard it. I'm sorry but it was inevitable, it was always going to be made into some sort of song or joke, everything is. You would have and have done exactly the same if the shoe was on the other foot, yeah it's abit nasty, yeah it's abit cruel but that's football.

Ger a grip red dogs....... We won, you lost, ner, ner, ner, ner ner!

Thought I'd read up on the Red Dog opinion of things - This is Clitteril with his views directly from This Is Nottingham.

"You can't stop people making chants in football. You can't stop it. Whatever my view is, it won't change it," said Cotterill. "But what I do know is that Nigel was fantastic for this football club.

"What he has done for Forest is incredible. We would not be a good Championship club if not for him.

"And he has the whole of Nottingham and all of us behind him, so it does not matter what other people say.

"It would have been nice if we had put one in the net, because that would have been the right answer to what we heard.

."Football fans do things like that. But the people who have need to be ashamed of themselves.

"A few of the lads commented on it, but it was not a distraction. We stayed focussed and deserved a point, not a defeat. I think Nigel would have been pleased with the guts we showed, if he was looking down on us."

Indeed, Forest were unfortunate not to claim a draw, as the game went into a lengthy ten minutes of injury time caused by an injury to Shaun Barker.

Forest had been reduced to ten men by the sending off of Marcus Tudgay in the 90th minute, after he picked up his second booking of the game.

But what annoyed Forest more was referee Andy D'Urso's decision, in the 95th minute, to award a free-kick against Jonathan Greening for a high boot.

"I was pleased when I saw that Andy D'Urso was refereeing the game because I thought he would not be swayed by the crowd," he said.

"Unfortunately, he has succumbed to them, by awarding them a free-kick. When you come away to a ground where there are 30,000 home fans, you know you are not always going to get the rub of the green.

"There were a few decisions that went against us, but that was the main one. Ben Davies ducked his head to get the ball and he is only 5ft 8in tall. What do you expect Jonathan to do?

"It was a ridiculous free-kick at a vital time. I don't think we can complain about the sending off. He was committed and went for the tackle.

"Overall, the players have been magnificent. We deserved a point. Probably no more than that, but we deserved a point. We were organised, we were good on set-plays."

He's as f**kin mental as the fans 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Some of the comments on here are typical of this modern, hand-wringing, navel gazing, can't-wait-to-be-offended, fake moral outrage society we now live in.

Get over it, it was a football match between two bitter rivals.

Sitting in the East Stand I didn't hear any of it, didn't even know a thing about it til afterwards, so it couldn't have been that loud or sung by that many.

Thought I'd read up on the Red Dog opinion of things - This is Clitteril with his views directly from This Is Nottingham.

"You can't stop people making chants in football. You can't stop it. Whatever my view is, it won't change it," said Cotterill. "But what I do know is that Nigel was fantastic for this football club.

"What he has done for Forest is incredible. We would not be a good Championship club if not for him.

"And he has the whole of Nottingham and all of us behind him, so it does not matter what other people say.

"It would have been nice if we had put one in the net, because that would have been the right answer to what we heard.

."Football fans do things like that. But the people who have need to be ashamed of themselves.

"A few of the lads commented on it, but it was not a distraction. We stayed focussed and deserved a point, not a defeat. I think Nigel would have been pleased with the guts we showed, if he was looking down on us."

Indeed, Forest were unfortunate not to claim a draw, as the game went into a lengthy ten minutes of injury time caused by an injury to Shaun Barker.

Forest had been reduced to ten men by the sending off of Marcus Tudgay in the 90th minute, after he picked up his second booking of the game.

But what annoyed Forest more was referee Andy D'Urso's decision, in the 95th minute, to award a free-kick against Jonathan Greening for a high boot.

"I was pleased when I saw that Andy D'Urso was refereeing the game because I thought he would not be swayed by the crowd," he said.

"Unfortunately, he has succumbed to them, by awarding them a free-kick. When you come away to a ground where there are 30,000 home fans, you know you are not always going to get the rub of the green.

"There were a few decisions that went against us, but that was the main one. Ben Davies ducked his head to get the ball and he is only 5ft 8in tall. What do you expect Jonathan to do?

"It was a ridiculous free-kick at a vital time. I don't think we can complain about the sending off. He was committed and went for the tackle.

"Overall, the players have been magnificent. We deserved a point. Probably no more than that, but we deserved a point. We were organised, we were good on set-plays."

He's as f**kin mental as the fans 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

And the prize for funniest post of the year goes to a Mr S Cotterill from Nottingham.

statement from the rams

Derby County Football Club wishes to formally apologise to the family of Nigel Doughty, Nottingham Forest Football Club and all supporters in attendance at Pride Park Stadium on Tuesday night for the behaviour of a small group of people at last night's game.

Some of the chants directed to opposing supporters were wholly inappropriate and damage the excellent reputation of the Club and its supporters at large.

Chief Executive Tom Glick has already apologised to club officials at Nottingham Forest, while manager Nigel Clough made his feelings clear in post match interviews.

Glick said: "We are very disappointed that a brief moment of insensitive and distasteful chanting by a minority of supporters spoiled what was a great occasion at Pride Park Stadium last night and we do not condone the actions of those individuals in any way, shape or form.

"The vast majority of our supporters come to Pride Park to enjoy watching and cheering the Rams on to victory and generate a positive atmosphere inside the stadium.

"It is a shame for this majority that we today have to focus on a small group of people whose actions reflect badly on us all."

The Club shall conduct a review of all aspects of last night's game, and it asks that supporters with any relevant information to please come forward and contact Safety & Operations Manager Nigel Wood in total confidence on 0871 472 1884.

It was wrong, the majority of us disagree with any distasteful chanting by anyone and certainly don't condone it. I even had a Forest fan threaten me for simply being a Derby fan!

However I won't let anything take the gloss off the fact that we did the double and it felt bloody brilliant to be in the East Stand celebrating. However I do have an injured shin from some kind of celebratory injury 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Archived