Match Thread - Oxford United (A) - Tuesday 22nd October 2024

Crewton

Zetterstrom

Wilson - Nelson - Cashin - Forsyth

Adams - Goudmijn - Osborn

Jackson - Yates - CBT

I think this is a really good test for us. Oxford are enjoying excellent home form and are playing good, confident, fearless football.  They have to be favourites, given how well they have started the season and how well they have carried momentum and confidence through from their play-off campaign last season.

Honestly I like the look of their team and I do think we’ll do well to contain them. It says a lot about the quality in their side when Sibley and Ebiowei have to settle for a place on the bench by and large.

Harris sets the tone with his pressing from the front and will be well supported by Goodrham and Dembele with their pace, movement and intelligence. They are obviously missing Brannagan in midfield who was outstanding at the start of the season but El Mizouni and Rodrigues have shown some promise in his absence, but I suspect ultimately if we can stop Goodrham (for me their most influential player) we’ll be having a good night.

I would revert back to 4-3-3 in anticipation of Ozoh’s return and to give us more of a foothold in midfield. I am not sure we can fight fire with fire by continuing with Harness in a 4-2-3-1. It’s very positive when it works but when it doesn’t, we lack some presence in midfield.

Once again, I will be happy with a point and pleasantly surprised with more. I think this game has come a few weeks too soon for us given our key injuries. I don’t think we are in a place yet to go away and win a crunch game. The balance is not there.

The first Oxford v Derby game since I married into a Rams family!
Hoping for a good game, I'll be leaving Mickleover around 4pm.

From the ticket sales, it looks like this will be the first home game of the season not to sell out - I expect the midweek factor and having played yourselves a couple of times recently gives it less of a 'pull' to those who pick and choose their games. Expect Hull on a Tuesday to file in the same folder.

Really intrigued to see how both coaches set-up for this. I think at the start of the season both clubs would have highlighted this one as a strong chance of 3 points. But given how both clubs have started, you'd perhaps adjust that to a point (prior to taking in the home/away record factor). I'm very much enjoying seeing both our clubs in the top half, earning plaudits and seemingly dumbfounding the opposition fans & pundits who expected us to both be complete cannon fodder. And it's utterly glorious to combine it all with Mr Evatt having his struggles a league below.

We've had a whole host of injuries so far which has meant our points return is more impressive than it looks. Bennett, Brannagan, Phillips and Placheta will all be missing again, with Edwards and McEachran both 50/50.

Saying that, we should have got something at Coventry and Bristol City and should have won at Luton but that's not how football works!

A great point snatched on Saturday given that some players were not at their usual standards - El Mizouni and Goodrham to name two - hoping it gives us a little kick up the proverbial to start strongly tomorrow night.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes tomorrow night, Scarlett and Sibley have both had good sub cameos in the past couple of games and with the long travels of some of the international call-ups combined with lots of games coming quickly, their may be the opportunity to get some fresh legs involved.

A bit concerned with how we deal with NML and Yates has caused us problems in the past. Adams v Vaulks in central midfield could be a fantastic battle whilst Cashin & Harris had a couple of run-ins last season.

It would be very Oxford to surrender an unbeaten home record to a side who hasn't won away from home yet, though I expect every fanbase has the same doom and gloom when such stats are in existence! 

Safe travels down.

Edited by CaptainOx

13 hours ago, CaptainOx said:

From the ticket sales, it looks like this will be the first home game of the season not to sell out - I expect the midweek factor and having played yourselves a couple of times recently gives it less of a 'pull' to those who pick and choose their games. Expect Hull on a Tuesday to file in the same folder.

Really intrigued to see how both coaches set-up for this. I think at the start of the season both clubs would have highlighted this one as a strong chance of 3 points. But given how both clubs have started, you'd perhaps adjust that to a point (prior to taking in the home/away record factor). I'm very much enjoying seeing both our clubs in the top half, earning plaudits and seemingly dumbfounding the opposition fans & pundits who expected us to both be complete cannon fodder. And it's utterly glorious to combine it all with Mr Evatt having his struggles a league below.

We've had a whole host of injuries so far which has meant our points return is more impressive than it looks. Bennett, Brannagan, Phillips and Placheta will all be missing again, with Edwards and McEachran both 50/50.

Saying that, we should have got something at Coventry and Bristol City and should have won at Luton but that's not how football works!

A great point snatched on Saturday given that some players were not at their usual standards - El Mizouni and Goodrham to name two - hoping it gives us a little kick up the proverbial to start strongly tomorrow night.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes tomorrow night, Scarlett and Sibley have both had good sub cameos in the past couple of games and with the long travels of some of the international call-ups combined with lots of games coming quickly, their may be the opportunity to get some fresh legs involved.

A bit concerned with how we deal with NML and Yates has caused us problems in the past. Adams v Vaulks in central midfield could be a fantastic battle whilst Cashin & Harris had a couple of run-ins last season.

It would be very Oxford to surrender an unbeaten home record to a side who hasn't won away from home yet, though I expect every fanbase has the same doom and gloom when such stats are in existence! 

Safe travels down.

Welcome to the club Captain Ox,the more,the merrier and as this is your first post,welcome here

14 hours ago, CaptainOx said:

Safe travels down.

Let’s hope we get a referee and two assistants for the match tonight instead of 3 people who should by rights be wearing the opposition’s kit. Reffing decisions have cost us between 4 and 6 points already this season.

Edited by DavesaRam

They're unbeaten at home; we're yet to win away. They have dangerous former Rams who may well score against their former club, in the form of Louie Sibley and Malcolm Ebowei. We have no former Oxford players with a point to prove.

Yet we have a team of honest, likeable, hardworking players who will leave nothing out there on the pitch, and fight to the end for a result. And with no little skill.

Both teams have recruited well and begun the season impressively, after our promotions. I'm expecting a close game, but I also think we deserve an away win - and the Kassam may well be the place it happens. Let's burst their bubble. 

Come on you Rams! 

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

They're unbeaten at home; we're yet to win away. They have dangerous former Rams who may well score against their former club, in the form of Louie Sibley and Malcolm Ebowei. We have no former Oxford players with a point to prove.

Yet we have a team of honest, likeable, hardworking players who will leave nothing out there on the pitch, and fight to the end for a result. And with no little skill.

Both teams have recruited well and begun the season impressively, after our promotions. I'm expecting a close game, but I also think we deserve an away win - and the Kassam may well be the place it happens. Let's burst their bubble. 

Come on you Rams! 

Let’s hope Sibley’s goalscoring prowess is as potent as it was for us.

Ebou will turn him into an origami swan 

IMG_2282.jpeg

NGL, I think Ozoh still being a week short does rather temper my confidence, but I still believe we have enough about us to beat this lot. It's a very different proposition to the shithousery we saw at that dingy hole last time out and I think that'll suit. Oxford will themselves feel confident after a bright start to their campaign, but I think they will try to play expansively and I think this is a game where Jackson and Yates can prosper. I see we're as big as 2/1 on the exchanges and frankly, I think that's a bit of an insult. 

For anyone travelling, it's a gorgeous, sunny Autumn day here in the Shire, though it might get a tad parky when the sun drops. As it is, we're set fair for what I reckon will be a decent game of footy.

COYR

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

NGL, I think Ozoh still being a week short does rather temper my confidence, but I still believe we have enough about us to beat this lot. It's a very different proposition to the shithousery we saw at that dingy hole last time out and I think that'll suit. Oxford will themselves feel confident after a bright start to their campaign, but I think they will try to play expansively and I think this is a game where Jackson and Yates can prosper. I see we're as big as 2/1 on the exchanges and frankly, I think that's a bit of an insult. 

For anyone travelling, it's a gorgeous, sunny Autumn day here in the Shire, though it might get a tad parky when the sun drops. As it is, we're set fair for what I reckon will be a decent game of footy.

COYR

17 degrees and I've only got as far as Northampton so far. Scorchio! ☀️