QPR (H) - Matchday Thread

26 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Thanks so much for this. As much as anything, a reminder from Alan Hinton to the ‘modern player’  of the benefit of being able to cross with both feet. Nightmare for full backs late in the game on a muddy pitch! 
The reason McGovern’s rare header is imprinted on my memory is that it’s so sublimely lobbed over the keeper’s arc of reach. 

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was at the Osmaston End and I was in Normanton Upper. Clough had taken his famous bow on the front row of A Stand down to my left before kick off. He then hurriedly left the ground to be taken to London for his interview live on Parkinson that evening. A day I think all of us who were around at the time have memories of. It was incredible that Hinton could be so accurate and then of course Clough and Taylor later inherited John Robertson who had the same gift. The game has changed so much.

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

As an NML replacement on the left I'd have CBT all day. If you want someone down the right then, IMO, Wilson is a better bet.

Definitely looks more threatening/ direct. I could be wrong but it looked like positionaly he was a tad lost. Had the players telling him where to go on multiple occasions. Not sure if Warne told him to sit on the half way line as 'out ball'. But left Fozzy to deal with that right flank on his own (which of course was no sweat for him! Ha)

23 hours ago, Topram said:

Notice how Linos seem not to give anything either anymore? Last week at Norwich then for us this week 2/3 times the ball clearly went out of play no More than yards away from him and he didn’t give anything, not as bothered this time as it was in our favour but seriously they are all absolutely useless 

Since they are now assistant referees you'd expect their responsibilities are to 'assist' in decisions when required. Or maybe it just means one makes the ref a half time cuppa and the other brings the biscuits ?? 

@jono asked about the role of the Assistant Referee.

1. Assistant referees

They indicate when:

the whole of the ball leaves the field of play and which team is entitled to a corner kick, goal kick or throw-in

a player in an offside position may be penalised

a substitution is requested

at penalty kicks, the goalkeeper moves off the goal line before the ball is kicked and if the ball crosses the line; if additional assistant referees have been appointed the assistant referee takes a position in line with the penalty mark

The assistant referee’s assistance also includes monitoring the substitution procedure.

The assistant referee may enter the field of play to help control the 9.15m (10 yards) distance.

The roles of all of the ref's assorted band of assistants are described in Law 6 which can be found at https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-6---the-other-match-officials

Interesting to see that "indicating fouls that the referee may have missed because the Assistant is in a better position to see the offence", or words to that effect, is no longer, it would seem, part of an Assistant Referee's task package. It was there up to the 21/11 season, my last one as a ref. I stopped as, due to a double break in my left fibula, which required 2 operations, at 68, I could no longer keep up with play from box to box and do it for 90 minutes. I'd always said that the day I couldn't do that any longer would be the day I hung up my whistle. I did. I never wanted to be the ref who never ventured outside the centre circle.

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

@jono asked about the role of the Assistant Referee.

1. Assistant referees

They indicate when:

the whole of the ball leaves the field of play and which team is entitled to a corner kick, goal kick or throw-in

a player in an offside position may be penalised

a substitution is requested

at penalty kicks, the goalkeeper moves off the goal line before the ball is kicked and if the ball crosses the line; if additional assistant referees have been appointed the assistant referee takes a position in line with the penalty mark

The assistant referee’s assistance also includes monitoring the substitution procedure.

The assistant referee may enter the field of play to help control the 9.15m (10 yards) distance.

The roles of all of the ref's assorted band of assistants are described in Law 6 which can be found at https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-6---the-other-match-officials

Interesting to see that "indicating fouls that the referee may have missed because the Assistant is in a better position to see the offence", or words to that effect, is no longer, it would seem, part of an Assistant Referee's task package. It was there up to the 21/11 season, my last one as a ref. I stopped as, due to a double break in my left fibula, which required 2 operations, at 68, I could no longer keep up with play from box to box and do it for 90 minutes. I'd always said that the day I couldn't do that any longer would be the day I hung up my whistle. I did. I never wanted to be the ref who never ventured outside the centre circle.

Thank so much for that.👍🏼 Really interesting .. so assistants now have no jurisdiction on foul play ? Remarkable (and not very helpful to my mind ) 

Interesting you talking about fitness. My Nephew is a part time ref (and a copper - “darn souff “) He’s been trying really hard to up his fitness as he’s over 30 and a naturally chunky lad. Not sure what level he’s at in official nomenclature, but he’s one promotion short of being able to ref 1st round FA cup games proper and has set himself that as a  target before age catches up with him

14 hours ago, jono said:

Thank so much for that.👍🏼 Really interesting .. so assistants now have no jurisdiction on foul play ? Remarkable (and not very helpful to my mind ) 

Interesting you talking about fitness. My Nephew is a part time ref (and a copper - “darn souff “) He’s been trying really hard to up his fitness as he’s over 30 and a naturally chunky lad. Not sure what level he’s at in official nomenclature, but he’s one promotion short of being able to ref 1st round FA cup games proper and has set himself that as a  target before age catches up with him

Not officially, according to Law 6 but they do signal fouls. Not all the ones they see. They, IMO, should either NOT signal fouls at all, or signal ALL fouls they see, allowing a short lead time for the ref to have spotted it and given it or given the "advantage, play on" sign. We need consistency. Unfortunately, consistency seems to be lacking among officials.

I used to go into both dressing rooms pre match and give a 3 minute chat on what I accept, what I don't accept, what they can expect from me and what I expect from them. Always finishing with the line, roughly translated from Dutch "You can call each other all the tw*ts under the sun but the first one to call me one gets an early bath". It stopped me getting surrounded by half a dozen players and only the captain ever came up to me, my having made clear I wouldn't act kindly towards mass protests. One game, I almost got surrounded but the skipper said "remember what he said....". He came up to me to ask why I'd given the opposition a penalty, he and his teammates thought the keeper had been fouled. I explained what I'd seen and why I'd given the penalty. He thanked me and shouted to his teammates that, with my explanation, he agreed with the decision".

It's like with any group of people, if you set the right expectations/boundaries up front, there won't be many problems/issues.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Not officially, according to Law 6 but they do signal fouls. Not all the ones they see. They, IMO, should either NOT signal fouls at all, or signal ALL fouls they see, allowing a short lead time for the ref to have spotted it and given it or given the "advantage, play on" sign. We need consistency. Unfortunately, consistency seems to be lacking among officials.

I used to go into both dressing rooms pre match and give a 3 minute chat on what I accept, what I don't accept, what they can expect from me and what I expect from them. Always finishing with the line, roughly translated from Dutch "You can call each other all the tw*ts under the sun but the first one to call me one gets an early bath". It stopped me getting surrounded by half a dozen players and only the captain ever came up to me, my having made clear I wouldn't act kindly towards mass protests. One game, I almost got surrounded but the skipper said "remember what he said....". He came up to me to ask why I'd given the opposition a penalty, he and his teammates thought the keeper had been fouled. I explained what I'd seen and why I'd given the penalty. He thanked me and shouted to his teammates that, with my explanation, he agreed with the decision".

It's like with any group of people, if you set the right expectations/boundaries up front, there won't be many problems/issues.

Fascinating insight. Thanks, @MadAmster.

I'm a big believer in helping referees out. Mic 'em up, let's have access to these conversations, and (IMO) we'll see better behaviour from both officials and players.

I know this comparison is oft made, but I really enjoy hearing the conversations betwixt ref and captain/ref and TMO in top-level rugby.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

@Eoghan1884 winner stays on...

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

He changed all the rules.  Apparently he's in charge of all home game matchday threads.
However, he forgot to announce his new rules for away games.  🤷‍♂️

At least good old @Crewton has come up trumps at the eleventh hour.  Matchday v Millwall is now up and running!  Hoorah!  

15 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

He changed all the rules.  Apparently he's in charge of all home game matchday threads.
However, he forgot to announce his new rules for away games.  🤷‍♂️

At least good old @Crewton has come up trumps at the eleventh hour.  Matchday v Millwall is now up and running!  Hoorah!  

Im genuinely worried people think that, the conversation i had with @Comrade 86 was serious and that who starts the match thread decides who wins the match. Anyways @Mucker1884 i think you should create the magical matchday thread rules as you seem dedicated to the cause which is important in such a big role.

14 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Im genuinely worried people think that, the conversation i had with @Comrade 86 was serious and that who starts the match thread decides who wins the match. Anyways @Mucker1884 i think you should create the magical matchday thread rules as you seem dedicated to the cause which is important in such a big role.

Come At Me Old Timey Baseball GIF by Team Coco

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I'd love to mate, but alas, I don't have the power to make the rules. 

And besides, after the debacle of the sombrero gig, I made the very conscious decision to forget all about being a leader, and concentrate purely on being a follower!

#i know my place! 

😁👍  

6 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Mate, the rules have been simple and the same for over a decade and that's because they work. First new poster to the buzzer after a loss, but one and done for the season should the team lose. You've lost twice already. Folk pointing this out are not the issue here.

Edited by Comrade 86