Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

16 hours ago, jono said:

Very negative mindset. Inaccurate too. I saw no tactical failings at all, given the players available. Certainly in some areas (particularly up front) Norwich had some very skilled players, superior to their opposite numbers on our side. They were pretty good defensively but we found gaps. That is a tribute to our players and Warne’s tactics. We are not League 1 plucky triers now. Yes we have weak areas, yes some of our players make too many errors. On that basis we didn’t deserve to win; but poor officiating cost us a point that we deserved and earned. Our tactics had F all to do with that. 
“Out dated?” .. I wonder what tactical degree course passes judgment on that.

The match stats (which are obviously not perfect) say that we had 16 goal attempts to their 10 and we be had 5 on target each. One of their goals simply wasn't a goal because it went out of play by some distance. Cash hit the bar and we were peppering their goal at the end. I don't think anyone could complain if we'd got a share of the spoils.

There were always going to be teams that are technically more gifted than us in this division and yet some still seem surprised at this and I full expect Norwich to be in the playoff mix at the end of the season - they were top 6 last year. We have to play to our strengths and be competitive and on that basis we most certainly were. Sure, there were times when we struggled a bit to contain their creative players but they still only managed 5 shots on target.

When we'd pulled it back to 3-2 we had them rocking and their defence and keeper were under a hell of a lot of pressure. You could see by the shouting and fist bumping after every block that they knew it too.

20 hours ago, Wroxham Ram said:

Having slept on it the officiating errors cannot hide that this was a disappointing performance. I cannot understand those who think that we deserved to win. If we had got the point then I think I would have considered it a good one.

Has anyone suggested (on here) that they thought we deserved to win?  

Obviously, 2 of their goals should not have been given, resulting in a 2-1 win for us, but that's by the by, as their goals were given, and will never be taken away.
But from a performance pov, I've only read comments that suggest we may well have deserved a draw, but don't recall anyone posting that they thought we deserved to win.

I may have missed such comments of course.  🤷‍♂️

(Or are you referring to elsewhere on social media?)

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Has anyone suggested (on here) that they thought we deserved to win?  

Obviously, 2 of their goals should not have been given, resulting in a 2-1 win for us, but that's by the by, as their goals were given, and will never be taken away.
But from a performance pov, I've only read comments that suggest we may well have deserved a draw, but don't recall anyone posting that they thought we deserved to win.

I may have missed such comments of course.  🤷‍♂️

(Or are you referring to elsewhere on social media?)

My granddaughter was watching her first match and she predicted a 2-1 win for Derby.

She said 2 of their goals didn’t count so Derby won 2-1.

Sounds about right to me 🙂

16 hours ago, jono said:

Very negative mindset. Inaccurate too. I saw no tactical failings at all, given the players available. Certainly in some areas (particularly up front) Norwich had some very skilled players, superior to their opposite numbers on our side. They were pretty good defensively but we found gaps. That is a tribute to our players and Warne’s tactics. We are not League 1 plucky triers now. Yes we have weak areas, yes some of our players make too many errors. On that basis we didn’t deserve to win; but poor officiating cost us a point that we deserved and earned. Our tactics had F all to do with that. 
“Out dated?” .. I wonder what tactical degree course passes judgment on that.

well said

i watched the highlights of Norwich's previous games, they looked good, quick and dangerous, and so it proved.

Things went against us today and what if Cashin's long ranger had gone in, and  KJ had finished that chance in the opening minutes?

Norwich are better than us, at the end of the season i do not think that will be seen as a disgrace.

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

They've deliberately used the wrong frame for the middle one... 

I don't think either provide proof, but they show that it was a contentious decision, just like if you will 'Collins offside' or 'Cashin handball' could be seen as. The first goal decision is an awful piece of officiating.

We are definitely going to be safe if we keep the same performance levels going forward.

Okay, the ball retention from our midfield wasn't good enough, we gave Norwich too many opportunities from our own errors. However, the work rate and effort was first class. The opening goal, there is zero excuse for how bad of a decision that was from the linesman. I can understand the other decision in the 2nd half, I think it was their third goal, because it was the other side of the pitch. The first goal, that's a shocker. Norwich fans saying "oh it would have been handball anyway". You mean hitting it from 2 yards out at a defensive player so it must be handball.

It ruined a really good competitive game of football. Our team is going toe to toe with the bigger sides in this league, we haven't been blown aside by the bigger budgets. We have nothing to fear playing at home against any Championship team. Really positive start to the season as far as I'm concerned. The one touch counter attack football, I'm all in.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

A Canary says:

That's fairly typical of Norwich fans' response. They imagine (a) the ball hitting Cashin's hand from 1/2 yard away while he's on the ground would be a nailed-on penalty under VAR; (b) that the ball wasn't fully out in the lead-up to their 2nd goal (because they're ignoring the frame that actually shows it is out); and (c) that a player standing offside, but not directly in the line of sight of the keeper, would cause that goal to be disallowed - but if they'd watched any PL games over the last two seasons, they'd realise that the guidance in respect of (a) and (c) has changed and it's unlikely that VAR would work in their favour. I don't think VAR actually covers situations like (b), but their idea that the score should have been either 2-3 or 1-3 is preposterous.

Thanks to everyone who called me out on my negative position on Saturday. I posted in the heat of the moment and as a result didn’t come across as I intended. 
What I’d been trying to say (obviously badly!) was that for all our effort - and admittedly a fair amount of skill in parts - we made too many rudimentary errors. In hindsight I think it’s because we were trying to keep the ball moving quickly, and we just didn’t quite make it work. In my opinion that’s what Norwich were better at. 
What I did note was that in spite of plenty of you disagreeing with me, and letting me know that in no uncertain terms, the responses were all civil and well argued. Thanks for that. 
Hopefully I’ve got that aberration out of my system and I shall be back to my normal positive self. 
I suspect being made redundant on Thursday, at 59 years old, might have played on my mind more than I’d realised. 

Hi guys,

Norwich fan here- in peace.

Was at the game Saturday and can completely understand why you're so p!ssed off about the opening goal. It was a genuinely horrific decision as the ball went clearly out. No arguments from me on that.

Dont really understand the talk about the other goal needing to be ruled out too though? Derby had more than enough opportunity to win it back after that and it was over the other side anyway. 

Think all in all a draw would have been fair- especially when you consider Derby's second could/should have been ruled out for offside too.

Do 10+ aways a season and thought Pride Park's home atmosphere was one of the best I've heard in this League. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, Canary said:

Hi guys,

Was at the game Saturday and can completely understand why you're so p!ssed off about the opening goal. It was a genuinely horrific decision as the ball went clearly out. No arguments from me on that.

Dont really understand the talk about the other goal needing to be ruled out too though? Derby had more than enough opportunity to win it back after that and it was over the other side anyway. 

Think all in all a draw would have been fair- especially when you consider Derby's second could/should have been ruled out for offside too.

Do 10+ aways a season and thought Pride Park's home atmosphere was one of the best I've heard in this League. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

I agree with you in general but, just to say on the 3rd goal, it would have been our corner, not throw-in : the whole set of possible outcomes is different. Certainly, there was nothing wrong with the actual goal, our defence was all over the shop and it was very well taken, but it only happened because we didn't get the corner we should have had. When a bad decision is made like that, it changes what happens afterwards.

Controversy aside, you should have a good season with that team. I'd wish you good luck, but it seems you already have it! 😉

49 minutes ago, Crewton said:

That's fairly typical of Norwich fans' response. They imagine (a) the ball hitting Cashin's hand from 1/2 yard away while he's on the ground would be a nailed-on penalty under VAR; (b) that the ball wasn't fully out in the lead-up to their 2nd goal (because they're ignoring the frame that actually shows it is out); and (c) that a player standing offside, but not directly in the line of sight of the keeper, would cause that goal to be disallowed - but if they'd watched any PL games over the last two seasons, they'd realise that the guidance in respect of (a) and (c) has changed and it's unlikely that VAR would work in their favour. I don't think VAR actually covers situations like (b), but their idea that the score should have been either 2-3 or 1-3 is preposterous.

Believe it of not Crewton but Boudicca and the Icini tribe from Norfolk actually beat the Romans all those years ago when they outnumbered them 10-1, It's just that the reports of the day were rather badly reported by Tacitus 😁   

15 hours ago, europia said:

A question mark regarding Collins being offside and impacting keepers line of sight, but the officials might have been doing a bit of 'levelling up' with that one.

Really pleased the goal stood though, not as an effect on the result, more that it will be a big boost to CBT.  

I am convinced that the lino would have been terrified to rule our second goal out for fear of someone out the stand shoving his flag so far up his jaxi he would have to wave it with his mouth open.

47 minutes ago, ck- said:

Thanks to everyone who called me out on my negative position on Saturday. I posted in the heat of the moment and as a result didn’t come across as I intended. 
What I’d been trying to say (obviously badly!) was that for all our effort - and admittedly a fair amount of skill in parts - we made too many rudimentary errors. In hindsight I think it’s because we were trying to keep the ball moving quickly, and we just didn’t quite make it work. In my opinion that’s what Norwich were better at. 
What I did note was that in spite of plenty of you disagreeing with me, and letting me know that in no uncertain terms, the responses were all civil and well argued. Thanks for that. 
Hopefully I’ve got that aberration out of my system and I shall be back to my normal positive self. 
I suspect being made redundant on Thursday, at 59 years old, might have played on my mind more than I’d realised. 

tumblr_pxmmgkGK141sqsyybo10_r1_500.gif 😉

19 minutes ago, Canary said:

Hi guys,

Well quite. I just don't think there is any excuse for getting that decision wrong - there were no players blocking his view and it was on his side. It was right in front of me and seemed obvious to me at the time that it went out, and if you can't get those decisions right as an assistant then you may as well just go and take a seat in the stand and grab a coffee and leave the ref to guess.

The other one was more marginal but I've seen an image that definitely shows that it was out. Far more reasonable justification for getting that one wrong though but hey, as you say, on another day with another official then our 2nd might be ruled out. Meh.

Personally I also think a draw would have been about right but it just seems a shame that for what was a very entertaining game (particularly 2nd half), that the officials are mainly what people are discussing, due to an absolute howler.

You certainly look a decent side though and I have little doubt that you'll be right up there come the end of the season. We seem able to give most teams a game at our place but need to start picking up some points on the road or results and decisions like Saturday might yet cost us.