Jacob Widell Zetterström

DarkFruitsRam7

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

JWZ was good on Saturday but I'm still surprised at this. He saved one that was blasted straight at him, had a double save which was Cashin, but that was it. Cardiff barely sniffed the goal. Thought someone else in the league must've done more than that.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

JWZ was good on Saturday but I'm still surprised at this. He saved one that was blasted straight at him, had a double save which was Cashin, but that was it. Cardiff barely sniffed the goal. Thought someone else in the league must've done more than that.

Fair point, though I'd add the clearance after Cash's backpass, which was certainly a moment of danger.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

According to Whoscored

7.7 - Zetterstrom - MOTM (tied with Goudmijn)
7.4 - Johansson (Stoke) / Dovin (Coventry) / Woodman (Preston) / Vigoroux (Swansea)

Johansson, Dovin and Woodman conceded, and Zetterstrom was credited with a 'claim', where as Vigoroux wasn't.

Suspect that while Cardiff didn't create all that much of note, our Jacob was statistically busier than those mentioned.

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Unfortunately this is the financial reality we now have.  Unless we're consistently punching around the top 6 we're likely to lose our better players to teams higher up the food chain.  Like Ilson said, we just have to enjoy them while we're able to.  As long as we're not flogging them to the scum up the road or The Dirties, or for peanuts I won't be too upset about it.

Going back to the original point of the thread, JWZ looks like a very shrewd signing already.  Although I found it funny that him & (his very attractive) Mrs left the stadium a Kia estate the other day.  I guess he doesn't need to compensate for anything eh...

We all know what the financial realities are. My point is lets not dwell on it eh, lets talk about the positive stuff, how good he is etc 

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It was a big gamble by the recruitment team to make a GK, who was an unknown quantity in England, our most expensive transfer of the window - but

Hats off to the recruitment team. I didn’t think we’d find a gk who’d match Wildsmith at his best. 
Seems to make sense for your keeper to be one of your most expensive players 

6 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

It’s not the case for every signing as this is our biggest signing since 2020. We don’t have the financial backing to sign a player for a reported 1.4 million fee to then recoup none of that down the line to a better club. We need to improve on the fees we get in as we use to let players go for free and well below their value nearly every window under Mel Morris, and that didn’t exactly turn out the best. 

What about Kenzo, should we look to move him on when he’s still got two years left to run?

It feels like madness to me to scout and sign such a player and give him a three year contract only to consider selling him after just 12 months because we’re afraid of making a loss on him. Also, you can’t really compare this one (big compared to our other signings in recent years) signing with the silly money splashed during Mel’s tenure during which time we (in most people’s opinion I reckon) lost significant amounts of money on transfer dealings mainly due to paying way over the odds for players in the first place.

Provided his early promise continues, I wouldn’t consider selling him next summer unless we received a significant offer for him - well in excess of double what we paid.

Regarding “financial backing to sign a player …….. recoup none of it” we’ll never know but do you really think it was part of the master plan to sign Kenzo and Zetterstrom but only if we could sell them at a profit (or no loss)?

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've heard far more male supporters going on about it than female!

Sign of the times mate.

Gone are the days when only the ladies are allowed to drool over the hunks of this world!

... and long may it continue, I hasten to add... for clarity... just to be clear... etc... 

10 hours ago, Sidd10 said:

This is giving me 'he's 28 until he turns 29' vibes loool.

image.png.0427936d1ae6ec91a29258c7ba2f7537.png

Reminds me when I ended up trying to get into a nightclub in Bromley in 1997 with my girlfriend and my best mate.

Despite being the eldest (by a whole two weeks from me) the bouncers refused to let him in because it was over-25s only. 

My mate got out his driving licence to prove he was 25 and a half. There then followed a ten minute philosophical debate over whether 25 and a half was over 25.

Much to my mates chagrin, he lost the debate 😂

Not with standing over enthusiasm, JWZ, along with Kenzo, and Cashin and some potentials, I think we all want them to stay and become the core of a promotion winning team, and there is no reason as yet to believe that wont be the case.

The selling them on thoughts that I have are associated with how good it is to not be under any more pressure than similar clubs. It's been some time since I thought a player went for a cracking fee (Christian Dailly or Seth lad?). The reality is we aren't in a position where we can say 'nope' to premier or parachute teams, but we can make them pay. 

On 15/09/2024 at 07:29, Day said:

He’s good. Which is good for us and him.

Avoids the Temu Cech nickname.

Dare I say Warne has made some decent signings this summer with JZ, Kenzo, Ebou, Ozoh, he’s not just a pretty face eh.

Amazing what not being under an embargo or strict efl business plan can do doesnt it 😉😂

better league obviously helps too 

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

What about Kenzo, should we look to move him on when he’s still got two years left to run?

It feels like madness to me to scout and sign such a player and give him a three year contract only to consider selling him after just 12 months because we’re afraid of making a loss on him. Also, you can’t really compare this one (big compared to our other signings in recent years) signing with the silly money splashed during Mel’s tenure during which time we (in most people’s opinion I reckon) lost significant amounts of money on transfer dealings mainly due to paying way over the odds for players in the first place.

Provided his early promise continues, I wouldn’t consider selling him next summer unless we received a significant offer for him - well in excess of double what we paid.

Regarding “financial backing to sign a player …….. recoup none of it” we’ll never know but do you really think it was part of the master plan to sign Kenzo and Zetterstrom but only if we could sell them at a profit (or no loss)?

Kenzo was half the price and Is on a longer contract. I’m not saying we have to sell him after 12 months of being here. My point is I’m fairly certain our long term plan is to bring in cheap assets to sell on for millions of profit to fund future transfer fees. If JWZ is a player we’ve marked as a potential sale for big profit the time to get maximum profit out of him is when he has 2 years left on his contract and not 12 months. 

9 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Kenzo was half the price and Is on a longer contract. I’m not saying we have to sell him after 12 months of being here. My point is I’m fairly certain our long term plan is to bring in cheap assets to sell on for millions of profit to fund future transfer fees. If JWZ is a player we’ve marked as a potential sale for big profit the time to get maximum profit out of him is when he has 2 years left on his contract and not 12 months. 

I think, according to reports, Kenzo was a little more than half the price and his contract is only one year longer.

Isn’t “selling him after 12 months” exactly what you’re saying - before his value starts to diminish the following summer? (Unless of course we can agree an extension) What, in your opinion, do we do next summer if he declines to sign an extension so early (would we even offer one with still 2 years remaining) and we received an offer of say £2million?

Also, whilst you may be right, what makes you so certain that becoming a trading club is the new long term plan? My thoughts are that, by and large, we are buying cheap (or free transfers or loans) because that’s all we can afford.

Why not just get Kenzo and Zetters to sign new longer term contracts and build the team around them with hopefully similar signings in the January window. Cant believe we buy players with the view to sell them in 12 months time, how will Warne ever get chance to build a settled side, yes if someone comes in with a stupid offer let them go.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think, according to reports, Kenzo was a little more than half the price and his contract is only one year longer.

Isn’t “selling him after 12 months” exactly what you’re saying - before his value starts to diminish the following summer? (Unless of course we can agree an extension) What, in your opinion, do we do next summer if he declines to sign an extension so early (would we even offer one with still 2 years remaining) and we received an offer of say £2million?

Also, whilst you may be right, what makes you so certain that becoming a trading club is the new long term plan? My thoughts are that, by and large, we are buying cheap (or free transfers or loans) because that’s all we can afford.

I think you’re getting too hung up on what my suggestion and thinking I genuinely believe we should sell every player worth something when they’ve 2 years left on their contract. 

Also why I’m so certain we’re going down that route is because all of the noise around the club about following in the footsteps of teams who base transfers on stats and data such as Brentford and Brighton. Their model is to buy cheap from lower leagues and abroad and then flip them players for reams of profit. 

We know we want to be a sustainable club and have the club almost fully fund itself until we find or acquire further investment. The best way to make quick and easy money in football is trading players. If we got an offer of 2 million I personally wouldn’t take it but my point is what is the clubs criteria to accept the offer. Would they see that 2 million as 600 thousand profit in 1 year with a goalkeeper who next year may not get that same fee or would they see 2 million that would put a detrimental dent into the squad that is not worth the financial gain. 

My argument isn’t based on personal opinions which I think you believe it is, I’m more so interested to see what the clubs long term plan is when they sign these players from abroad for good fees and how we will deal with the vultures when they start circling. 

Also I genuinely believe if we sold JWZ the first of January it would be for around 3.5-4 million already. Prices can be almost doubled once they’ve had a few games proving they’re adaptable in the English game. 

Regardless of the outcome if we can bring in 2-3 players of Kenzo and Jacob’s quality for similar prices each summer we will start reaping rewards both on and off the pitch. 

21 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I think you’re getting too hung up on what my suggestion and thinking I genuinely believe we should sell every player worth something when they’ve 2 years left on their contract. 

Also why I’m so certain we’re going down that route is because all of the noise around the club about following in the footsteps of teams who base transfers on stats and data such as Brentford and Brighton. Their model is to buy cheap from lower leagues and abroad and then flip them players for reams of profit. 

We know we want to be a sustainable club and have the club almost fully fund itself until we find or acquire further investment. The best way to make quick and easy money in football is trading players. If we got an offer of 2 million I personally wouldn’t take it but my point is what is the clubs criteria to accept the offer. Would they see that 2 million as 600 thousand profit in 1 year with a goalkeeper who next year may not get that same fee or would they see 2 million that would put a detrimental dent into the squad that is not worth the financial gain. 

My argument isn’t based on personal opinions which I think you believe it is, I’m more so interested to see what the clubs long term plan is when they sign these players from abroad for good fees and how we will deal with the vultures when they start circling. 

Also I genuinely believe if we sold JWZ the first of January it would be for around 3.5-4 million already. Prices can be almost doubled once they’ve had a few games proving they’re adaptable in the English game. 

Regardless of the outcome if we can bring in 2-3 players of Kenzo and Jacob’s quality for similar prices each summer we will start reaping rewards both on and off the pitch. 

I’m not “getting hung up”, just having a conversation about it. I assumed it’s what you believe as you suggested it.

On 16/09/2024 at 21:41, Srg said:

I'd add that I think there were a couple moments were his awareness and fast reactions snuffed out danger. 

From a whoscored perspective though it'll have just come down to clean sheet + some saves + made one or two decent punches + no mistakes.